Just deleted 11 years worth of songs.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1093
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 11 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
11 Oct 2020


Some silly kid made this, so I can't take any credit for the amazing spelling skills. :lol:
Those dang kids would be better spending their time in school learning how to spell than making pictures for you to wind me up with :):):)
Image
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5331
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 11 Oct 2020

Maybe I could explain this another way. For the most part when I sit down with Reason, which is usually every day, I approach it in much the same way I do as when I pick up my guitar. I can spend many happy hours putting together music and then when I switch off my PC I don’t bother saving it. I’ve said this before in other threads but the process is the product for me. I enjoy working that way and the end result is the feeling I leave with. The bits and pieces I had were the product of the same process which just happened to get saved. I do have to add that I am much more precious about music I’ve made and recorded together with other people. I’ve got loads of cassettes of 4-track recordings from long ago and I’ve done songs with friends the last year or so which I would never want to be without. :).
丰2ॐ

DougalDarkly
Posts: 137
Joined: 31 Jul 2019

Post 11 Oct 2020

I can completely understand this. The first time I lost a lot of music was a box full of tapes that were burned, the second time was a hard drive failure.
Although it was a bit traumatic to begin with, in time I felt freed by it, like all that old stuff was weighing me down, holding me back somehow and now I could properly start afresh.
Now I delete with abandon - the next idea is always the best one!

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 1391
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 11 Oct 2020

I've spent a bit of time this year cataloguing my old unfinished projects into a spreadsheet. I'm only entering the ones that are worth finishing and deleting what's not. Kind of different to what you've been doing, MrFigg, but kind of similar too. Lots of stuff got deleted.

fretshot7
Posts: 476
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 11 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2020
Since first getting Record and then Reason 11 years ago I've been recording 8 and 16 bar ideas at a considerable pace. Folders upon folders of unfinished and forgotten stuff have been sitting on my hard drive just growing in volume to no end. So that was it...right click delete. There are no bad decisions...only decisions. Here's to the future :)
i think this is a good thing the weight of the past can hold you back 👍🏼

I just done similar with my Digitone last week - maybe 100+ songs.... boom factory reset.... some of them i really liked too, but i havn't regretted it, it feels fresh and uncluttered again 😀

User avatar
tallguy
Posts: 164
Joined: 11 Jan 2018

Post 12 Oct 2020

Nothing wrong with clearing out the attic. Back in the days, I created a lot of tracks in Propellerheads Figure and managed to lose all of it after upgrading my iPad. When I managed to retrieve some of my tracks half a year later, I realised I had moved on and they weren't that great anyway. It wasn't a great loss.

middle_color
Posts: 11
Joined: 09 Jan 2019

Post 12 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2020
Since first getting Record and then Reason 11 years ago I've been recording 8 and 16 bar ideas at a considerable pace. Folders upon folders of unfinished and forgotten stuff have been sitting on my hard drive just growing in volume to no end. So that was it...right click delete. There are no bad decisions...only decisions. Here's to the future :)
Congratulations :thumbs_up: I feel that unfinished projects suck mental energy and i once in a while remove songs that i don't want to finish.

$(username)
Posts: 16
Joined: 22 Jul 2018

Post 12 Oct 2020

A while ago I found some old 4 track tapes that I created when I was a kid. The songs were just rough sketches and jams and nothing to write home about but it was an instant time travel back into my youth. That was a really a nice experience.

However, I get your point. Sometimes a fresh start is needed but I would have saved the stuff on a backup drive/medium before deleting it. Just put the backup in the attic and at some point in the future you'll be glad you did.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 8840
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 12 Oct 2020

I can relate on many levels, not on others. Sounds like you're at peace (when I read the thread title I worried they were accidentally deleted!).
As I've gotten older I have often just played and not recorded (breaking my "always record" rule!) and just enjoyed the moment for what it was (even when it was sounding pretty awesome I never regretted not recording - and that's BIG for me!).
But my song sketches are like a personal diary. Not something to publish, but something to go back through from time to time to see how much I've grown. If I find a "keeper" that's just icing on the cake IMO, but mostly I just reminisce and remember things that were going on in my life at that time. But from time to time one of those songs makes it to an actual release!

Same for photos - I've had a nice camera for many years now and always take photos (especially when I travel). But they are mostly just for me as a travel diary and to document periods in my life I want to remember. Just like with songs, every once in a while one of those photos gets posted or rarely printed and hung on the wall.
Selig Audio, LLC

zumBeispiel
Posts: 202
Joined: 16 Jul 2015

Post 12 Oct 2020

selig wrote:
12 Oct 2020

my song sketches are like a personal diary
+1

User avatar
mcatalao
Posts: 1296
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 Oct 2020

I think if i did something like that... I had crapped myself, pissed myself, vomited and cried out loud at the same time! I have Cubase and Reason files from 2003!!!!!! I lost my old Roland Sequencer Disks from the 90s and i regret that!

Good ideas are scarce!
Never delete anything!

User avatar
mcatalao
Posts: 1296
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 Oct 2020

selig wrote:
12 Oct 2020

As I've gotten older I have often just played and not recorded (breaking my "always record" rule!) and just enjoyed the moment for what it was (even when it was sounding pretty awesome I never regretted not recording - and that's BIG for me!).
But my song sketches are like a personal diary. Not something to publish, but something to go back through from time to time to see how much I've grown. If I find a "keeper" that's just icing on the cake IMO, but mostly I just reminisce and remember things that were going on in my life at that time. But from time to time one of those songs makes it to an actual release!
I relate to this on so many levels!!! That's why I would like reason to have a functionality where it would record a buffer of midi data of the track you have selected on memory. If that was something interesting, you woud press some button and reason would recover those bits and place it on the track at cursor. I think there is a daw that does this with midi (might it be Cubase?), but i don't remember which! This is a great feature because if you're always recording, at some point you forget, so you're "not" recording. If you're not recording... Emotionally and psychologically there's not the self-conscious axe of error
lurking around!!
Last edited by mcatalao on 12 Oct 2020, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2817
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 12 Oct 2020

Tbh It's up to whoever made the things to do what with em.

DougalDarkly
Posts: 137
Joined: 31 Jul 2019

Post 12 Oct 2020

It's the entire process of coming up with new ideas that I enjoy the most about making music (or any other creative endeavour) - the 'creative' bit - not that I don't spend a lot of time editing and arranging a finished track - I try hard to finish tracks, so when a track is finished or I've squeezed as much as I care to from an idea, I move on.

I suppose it depends on where you think the inspiration's coming from - I've never been precious about my ideas, I just keep going, throwing shit at the wall until something sticks.

I take Selig's point about the personal journal stuff, but I've never taken photos either - it's just not in me to try and capture the moment for later I guess - not sure why.

Marc64
Posts: 565
Joined: 24 Jan 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 12 Oct 2020

I have burned my old stuff and x bar loops, never have the guts to delete them completely :)

danc
Posts: 532
Joined: 14 Oct 2016

Post 12 Oct 2020

So... Isn't this a bit like the KLF burning a million pounds from their music making ventures. But like... A little bit earlier in the process? You trumped them!

Fair play MrFigg ... Hope you did it style like the KLF gang and got like a helicopter and a big binfire. And a big briefcase.
Creating, producing and mastering music in Reason 11 and Studio One 5 (WIndows).


PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 1391
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 12 Oct 2020

mcatalao wrote:
12 Oct 2020
selig wrote:
12 Oct 2020
I can relate on many levels, not on others. Sounds like you're at peace (when I read the thread title I worried they were accidentally deleted!).
As I've gotten older I have often just played and not recorded (breaking my "always record" rule!) and just enjoyed the moment for what it was (even when it was sounding pretty awesome I never regretted not recording - and that's BIG for me!).
But my song sketches are like a personal diary. Not something to publish, but something to go back through from time to time to see how much I've grown. If I find a "keeper" that's just icing on the cake IMO, but mostly I just reminisce and remember things that were going on in my life at that time. But from time to time one of those songs makes it to an actual release!
I relate to this on so many levels!!! That's why I would like reason to have a functionality where it would record a buffer of midi data of the track you have selected on memory. If that was something interesting, you woud press some button and reason would recover those bits and place it on the track at cursor. I think there is a daw that does this with midi (might it be Cubase?), but i don't remember which! This is a great feature because if you're always recording, at some point you forget, so you're "not" recording. If you're not recording... Emotionally and psychologically there's not the self-conscious axe of error
lurking around!!
Live has this and it is my favourite thing. They call it midi capture and it is a life saver.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5331
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 12 Oct 2020

danc wrote:
12 Oct 2020
So... Isn't this a bit like the KLF burning a million pounds from their music making ventures. But like... A little bit earlier in the process? You trumped them!

Fair play MrFigg ... Hope you did it style like the KLF gang and got like a helicopter and a big binfire. And a big briefcase.
They also nailed a million to a board and put it up for sale at a reserve price of £500,000. Keep it as a work of art or dismantle it immediately and make a 100% profit. Cool guys.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
mcatalao
Posts: 1296
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 Oct 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Oct 2020
Live has this and it is my favourite thing. They call it midi capture and it is a life saver.
Yeah i'm on a PC so live's out of my projects for now.
But this is nothing completely new. Live has it, called Capture midi, and cubase has Retrospective Midi.
Very smart feature.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 1391
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 12 Oct 2020

mcatalao wrote:
12 Oct 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Oct 2020
Live has this and it is my favourite thing. They call it midi capture and it is a life saver.
Yeah i'm on a PC so live's out of my projects for now.
But this is nothing completely new. Live has it, called Capture midi, and cubase has Retrospective Midi.
Very smart feature.
I didn't say logic, mate. Live. 😂

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 8840
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 12 Oct 2020

mcatalao wrote:
12 Oct 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Oct 2020
Live has this and it is my favourite thing. They call it midi capture and it is a life saver.
Yeah i'm on a PC so live's out of my projects for now.
But this is nothing completely new. Live has it, called Capture midi, and cubase has Retrospective Midi.
Very smart feature.
I played on a friends Ensoniq keyboard 15 years ago that had it, and I remember actually using it - it's a great feature for a stand alone keyboard, but also for DAWs.
Pro Tools even had a similar thing for any audio track in record, and it saved my ass countless times - all you had to do was hit record any time during playback, even after the song ended, and everything in "record" was saved!
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1887
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 Oct 2020

4 Best Free Open Source Data Recovery Software For Windows

https://listoffreeware.com/best-free-op ... e-windows/

User avatar
Bloma
Posts: 606
Joined: 06 Sep 2015
Location: Melbourne

Post 12 Oct 2020

bxbrkrz wrote:
12 Oct 2020
4 Best Free Open Source Data Recovery Software For Windows

https://listoffreeware.com/best-free-op ... e-windows/
Britney Spears's 10 Best (and Worst) Songs of All Time

https://www.glamour.com/story/the-10-be ... f-all-time

User avatar
mcatalao
Posts: 1296
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 13 Oct 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Oct 2020


I didn't say logic, mate. Live. 😂
Yes you did. An Appointment to the eye doctor is due... 😜

david1806
Posts: 58
Joined: 26 Jan 2018
Location: London, UK

Post 13 Oct 2020

Hey Mr.F

Obviously it is your choice, and that is fine fella - but from a purely logical point, I don't quite get it. I myself am the opposite to a hoarder, it is just stuff and clutter - but these are just files on a hard drive. Even if you never used them again, had no intention of using them again, doesn't it makes sense just to bung them on some drive somewhere and essentially forget about them, but at least - just in case! - they are still there. One of the beauties of how we work nowadays, is tracks can all be dipped into and you nick a part from here, stick it into another track here. I have rhythm parts that I am always sharing around my tracks for example, with just a tweak here and there. But maybe that is the point - you don't want to be able to go back, only want to create new.

But as I say, purely from a Dr.Spock view - don't make sense!! :) :) ;)

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: arqui, CommonCrawl [Bot] and 4 guests