Create a shuffle using the ReGroove!?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
blaasvaer

01 Oct 2020

Hi,
I'm making a complete mess trying to create a classic shuffle in reason using the regroove thing ... I have no clue where to put the notes in the midi track and what to apply to them to make a classic shuffle groove ... it's super counter intuitive. Can someone shed some light on how to do this? I'm in the dark here …

I've tried a simple 4/4 with 8notes on the hihat and kick / snare variations in a thousand different ways ... everything sounds like monkeys fucking on a drumset.

PhillipOrdonez

01 Oct 2020

There's a little box on the left of the midi lane, drop down menu let's you choose which regroove channel you want to use for that midi lane.

Adjust midi channel to taste.

Profit.

blaasvaer

01 Oct 2020

Yeah, that much I know ... but what's added sounds random and crap no matter what I choose and what I turn and click ... it's just rubbish.

AnotherMathias

01 Oct 2020

Okay , so two questions:

1. Are you unaccustomed to using ReGroove in general? Have you had any luck getting it to work for other kinds of things?

2. What kind of shuffle do you mean. Are you looking for a "house beat" kind of bouncy 16th note shuffle (the most common type), where for any pair of 16th notes, the second one is delayed a bit? If you are, you should be able to get that.
Or are you looking for an 8th note shuffle (that you might hear, for example, in blues music), where the second of every 8th note is delayed? In that case, Reason is lacking much functionality.

Regroove seems to be fully focused on shifting around notes on a 16th note grid. If you apply a ReGroove template with shuffled 16th notes to an 8th note shuffle beat, it will get pretty mangled. You can find a 8th note shuffle template online (I don't think Reason provides any for you), but you are still out of luck. This is because if a ReGroove template does not contain a note within 120 ticks (I think, somebody correct me if I'm wrong) of the note you played, it won't move that note at all. So you end up with some notes quantized to the template, and others left where they were, and it's all a big mess. An 8th note shuffle might have gaps of 588 ticks or more between it's notes.
Clearly pre-quantizing in the ReGroove mixer won't help, since that can only quantize to 16th notes.

My understanding is that to achieve a 8th note shuffle you either have to compromise and quantize to 8T (which may or may not get you close to the shuffle strength you want), or to play your keyboard part pretty well, and use a downloaded 8th note shuffle template to nudge the notes the rest of the way (as long as you don't drift more than 120 ticks).
Fixing this is a feature request for a future update.

But MOST people, when asking for a shuffle, just want the regular bouncy dance beat 16 note shuffle. That's not hard to get going in Reason. However, if you have a 4/4 with only 8th notes, you won't hear any change at all when applying that kind of shuffle.

ljekio

29 Apr 2023

Is there any way to shuffle in the regroove if your tempo is twice as fast?
My project is 150 bpm, but the only real shuffle would be if I set it to 75. But I would not want to do this because of the many audio clips in the project. And even failed to make a user groove, it does not see my eighth notes, only 16th. Any solution?

• Information