Problem with the Matrix sequencer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FRANZ MUSCA

29 Sep 2020

Hi everyone,

I just subscribed to the forum to ask this question. I'm French Canadian, so sorry if my english isn't perfect.

For a specific reason, I want to copie a Matrix pattern on a track so I can arrange my song more easily before doing live recording with my Minilogue XD (an external synth). The problem is that the midi information on the Matrix track (in the main sequencer) won't affect the Matrix sequencer so it won't play anything (if the pattern button is off) . I also tried on the instrument track on which the Matrix is connected, but it changes the sound. I think it's because it only sends the midi notes to the instrument without affecting the filter of the instrument which is controlled by the "curve CV" of the Matrix (you can see the back panel of the Combinator on one of the image).

So, what I really want is the Matrix reading the midi note on its track and not in its internal pattern sequencer so it keeps sending the curve CV to the Malström. Is it even possible?

Yes, I could record a live automation of the Matrix to complete my song (I imagine it's how everyone does), but imagine if I wanted to structure the whole thing in blocks. It's not what I want to do, but it shows an other facet of the problem.

Maybe I'm not clear at all, it's possible, but maybe the screenshots I included will help you understand. I wish.

Thank you in advance for your help!

I'm using Reason 10 on Mac OS 10.14.5

Franz Musca
Attachments
Capture d’écran, le 2020-09-29 à 21.15.54.png
Capture d’écran, le 2020-09-29 à 21.15.54.png (33.56 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Capture d’écran, le 2020-09-29 à 21.13.10.png
Capture d’écran, le 2020-09-29 à 21.13.10.png (886.03 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Capture d’écran, le 2020-09-29 à 21.12.54.png
Capture d’écran, le 2020-09-29 à 21.12.54.png (729.4 KiB) Viewed 444 times

challism

29 Sep 2020

FRANZ MUSCA wrote:
29 Sep 2020
So, what I really want is the Matrix reading the midi note on its track and not in its internal pattern sequencer so it keeps sending the curve CV to the Malström. Is it even possible?
Matrix will only play the note/gate pattern or the curve, not both at the same time. You should just use two instances of Matrix, one for the note/gate pattern, one for the curve.

But Matrix can't read incoming MIDI note information. Have you taken a look at some of the players in the shop? Something like Sequences or Kompulsion might be what you want.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

selig
RE Developer

29 Sep 2020

Just unplug the CV/Gate cables from the Matrix and leave the Curve cable.
Selig Audio, LLC

FRANZ MUSCA

01 Oct 2020

@Selig / @Challism

Thanks a lot for your kind answers! It worked!

• Information