changing transport tempo without changing speed of music

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
JRIII86

26 Sep 2020

I'm trying to halve the tempo of a song I'm working on but I don't actually want to change the speed of the music. I just want shorter note values in reference to the quarter note, so 8th notes become 16th notes, two bars would be compressed into one bar, etc. Is there a simple way to do this? I already have a bunch of music recorded, some audio and some midi, and the only way I can figure out to do it seems rather time consuming. Thanks for any help.

guitfnky

26 Sep 2020

off the top of my head (read: not necessarily the fastest/easiest way), select all of your audio clips, right click, and disable stretch. when you change tempos, the audio will remain the same. assuming everything’s already lined up to the grid, halving the tempo should result in it remaining lined up when you’re done.

for MIDI, I’m a little less certain...if there’s a similar option to disable stretch, that would be the first choice, but barring that, here’s what I might do;
- select all your MIDI tracks, and join them so you don’t have separate clips in a single track.
- make sure the clips all start and end on the same grid lines (easiest if you drag the beginnings and ends to snap to the nearest bar, if they don’t already line up**) then, after the tempo change has been done, with the bar snap still on,
- drag the clip out to double the number of bars in the clips, while holding the Ctrl key (I think that’s it—I do it automatically without thinking) which is your stretch time modifier. so if you have 42 bars of music, drag it so it spams the length of 84, etc.

**you may need to shift the resulting longer clips back a bar or two, if you had to adjust the start of the clips—keeping bar snapping on.

sounds like a lot, but shouldn’t take too long. but again, I’ve not yet had any coffee, so this may not be the quickest way.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Trapjaw

28 Sep 2020

Maybe select all press f8 and scale tempo to double, then halve bpm?

JRIII86

10 Oct 2020

Trapjaw wrote:
28 Sep 2020
Maybe select all press f8 and scale tempo to double, then halve bpm?
That worked well! Thanks!

• Information