Reason Visual Lag/Choppy

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
_capricola

21 Sep 2020

Hello everybody! Long time Reason user, I was wondering if anyone could help me identify what might be causing Reason to be running so choppy, visually speaking.

I'm running Reason 10.4 on a 2020 imac with 32gb of ram, a 3.8ghz 8 core processor and the AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB.

The Audio itself runs great with very little latency and I'm not experiencing any problems there whatsoever.

But what I am experiencing is that the program just feels awful and laggy, the closest thing I can compare it to is Low/Choppy Frame-rate.
Whether its scrolling down in the Rack, the meters on the Mixer or adding a new instrument. Everything is just horrible looking and the opposite of smooth. It's nearly un-useable. It doesn't matter how many programs I have open or closed or how complicated the project is.

Kalm

22 Sep 2020

Same with my Late 2012 Mac mini. Someone spoke on this already. Can't remember the verdict.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2020

Just out of interest do you have your internet browser open when this is happening. Dual screens?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Aquila

22 Sep 2020

Reason's display has been slow for as long as I can remember, even in the non-codemeter versions. Meters in the mixer, for example, would show a peak a split second after its heard. I always thought it was just me but multiple versions and multiple computers later it still happens and honestly I've just learned to live with it.

Noise
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2020

Don't know if this will help, I've been messing with this option, I feel it a little better, but it maybe just placebo effect :D
Can't hurt to try I guess.

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-t ... u-windows/
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

plaamook

22 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
22 Sep 2020
Just out of interest do you have your internet browser open when this is happening. Dual screens?
It runs like shit visually anyway but yeah, browser makes it even worse.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

jam-s

22 Sep 2020

If you've got a high resolution (retina or something) screen you can try to start reason in low res mode. also I've seen that switching to another colorprofile (srgb or something) or disabling it can help. I think there have been some threads about this here.

Last Alternative

22 Sep 2020

It’s not just you. Reason sux on iMac 🖥
Been like that for years and there is no excuse at this point. After so long of it now I get on inspired in my head but this bug kills the mood soon after. Low res is a joke; blurry af.. no excuse. There’s word of a GUI overhaul but not confirmed by the Props. And those dudes are the worst at being forthcoming.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Steedus
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2020

Yep 'Run in Low Resolution mode' is essential for Mac.

Alrek

13 Jul 2021

Reading that the visual engine had been rewritten and optimized with the introduction of hires-devices I had high hopes that this issue would be gone with Reason 12.

Unfortunately this is not the case :cry:

I have tested the Reason 12 early access version from Reason+ but it is still nearly unusable for me on my 2017 5k Retina iMac running Big Sur.
Everything is still very laggy and the whole application feels like running in 20 frames (even with very few devices).

I fear that after all I am not able to use the Reason DAW this way which is bummer. :puf_unhappy:

deeplink
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2021

The whole programs lags when you open up a VST
At least in my experience (using Singnalizer VST)
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Stamatz

13 Jul 2021

Hi,
I experienced this once on a PC not a MAC though and it was my mouse causing the issue.

To fix the issue, I plugged the mouse in another USB port. Not sure why that worked or what was the issue with the USB port I originally had my mouse plugged into but moving it to another USB port fixed the issue.

You may wan to try it just to rule this out.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

Roskompany25

05 Feb 2022

the below link solved all of my issues where VSTS would load blank white until I would stop playback, and then after a full second after stopping playback, the VST GUI appears. As soon as playback starts again, the GUI meters, needles, lights and other graphic/visual movements either wouldn't move and light up at all. After reading this link I was more educated about my problem and was able to resolve it with proper management.

https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/10 ... audio-1075

Mac Tower - Hackintosh
Screen Shot 2022-02-05.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-05.png (22.34 KiB) Viewed 1018 times

Roskompany25

05 Feb 2022

As a follow up note: I am running 4 screens on the Mac Tower - Hackintosh

I also found that attaching rather than detaching the mix windows also showed significant improvement in GUI tracking when running VSTs.

I operate using Reason 12 12.2.4d100 (build 13,600)

the image shows where you can attach and detach the rack, sequencer and mix windows from the task bar.
Screen Shot 2022-02-05.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-05.png (22.34 KiB) Viewed 1018 times

• Information