Question about send effects!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
HE77ION
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Jan 2020

Post 16 Sep 2020

Hi everyone!

this battle i've been fighting with send effects in reason is ongoing maybe someone can help!

so when routing my send effects through the ssl then back to a mixer channel (so that I have more control over the send) im experiencing a delay, i've tried just using the 14:2 instead but something isn't right with this technique it doesn't sound the same to me!

how do i use the technique of routing back to a mixer channel without this delay, my delay compensation is on but i'm still having this problem?!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you :)

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 200
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 16 Sep 2020

This should really be a sticky somewhere :D

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... what-s-up-

Don't know which elements of SSL you're using to shape your send FX, but since v11 already has the dynamics and filter as separate devices, you can just chain them together before going back to return and thus use standard routing that doesn't have that delay.
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

HE77ION
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Jan 2020

Post 16 Sep 2020

HOLY SHIT DUDE! this worked!!! AAAHHHHHH THANK YOU an thanks for the quick reply! yes unchecking that audio rendering box seemed to fix the problem, god damn it was right in front of me!!! gonna go relay this message to a few other people I found asking the same question haha thanks again! :) <3

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 200
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 16 Sep 2020

HE77ION wrote:
16 Sep 2020
HOLY SHIT DUDE! this worked!!! AAAHHHHHH THANK YOU an thanks for the quick reply! yes unchecking that audio rendering box seemed to fix the problem, god damn it was right in front of me!!! gonna go relay this message to a few other people I found asking the same question haha thanks again! :) <3
Sure, but unchecking that box significantly impacts performance of REs and VSTs, typically by 30-40%. That's why it was introduced, because people complained about absymal VST performance compared to other DAW.

It's really better to use the default routing and just chain the devices.
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

HE77ION
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Jan 2020

Post 17 Sep 2020

antic604 wrote:
16 Sep 2020
HE77ION wrote:
16 Sep 2020
HOLY SHIT DUDE! this worked!!! AAAHHHHHH THANK YOU an thanks for the quick reply! yes unchecking that audio rendering box seemed to fix the problem, god damn it was right in front of me!!! gonna go relay this message to a few other people I found asking the same question haha thanks again! :) <3
Sure, but unchecking that box significantly impacts performance of REs and VSTs, typically by 30-40%. That's why it was introduced, because people complained about absymal VST performance compared to other DAW.

It's really better to use the default routing and just chain the devices.
yes I know what you mean now it definitely drags a lot more with that box unchecked! can you elaborate on what you mean by chaining devices? the thing that bothers me is I would like to be able to send those inserts to busses an have them follow along with automations an all that. would I still be able to have control by using that method? i'm guessing yes but just tryna wrap my head around that method! thanks man!

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 200
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 18 Sep 2020

HE77ION wrote:
17 Sep 2020
yes I know what you mean now it definitely drags a lot more with that box unchecked! can you elaborate on what you mean by chaining devices? the thing that bothers me is I would like to be able to send those inserts to busses an have them follow along with automations an all that. would I still be able to have control by using that method? i'm guessing yes but just tryna wrap my head around that method! thanks man!
Say you want to have Reverb on your send, where you controll high-pass filter and volume of the FX over time. You just chain them together (hold Shift while adding devices to not have them wired automatically!) before they all go back into return FX and - like everything else - automate the parameters you want. Like so:

Image
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

HE77ION
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Jan 2020

Post 20 Sep 2020

antic604 wrote:
18 Sep 2020
HE77ION wrote:
17 Sep 2020
yes I know what you mean now it definitely drags a lot more with that box unchecked! can you elaborate on what you mean by chaining devices? the thing that bothers me is I would like to be able to send those inserts to busses an have them follow along with automations an all that. would I still be able to have control by using that method? i'm guessing yes but just tryna wrap my head around that method! thanks man!
Say you want to have Reverb on your send, where you controll high-pass filter and volume of the FX over time. You just chain them together (hold Shift while adding devices to not have them wired automatically!) before they all go back into return FX and - like everything else - automate the parameters you want. Like so:

Image
awesome! thanks for the video man! I think I never really thought of it in this way I know how to chain devices together but haven't thought of just simply automating those effects an what not an if compression is needed I can just chain that as well!!! this is definitely the solution I needed! thanks for your point of view, much appreciated! one more thing if you don't mind what do you do when you run out of those 8 sends?

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 200
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 20 Sep 2020

HE77ION wrote:
20 Sep 2020
one more thing if you don't mind what do you do when you run out of those 8 sends?
I never did, but perhaps I'd use Parallel Out that each track has and route all of them to silenced 14:2 Mixer that can have 4 sends? You wouldn't have access to them from the SSL Mixer, though.
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 8775
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 21 Sep 2020

antic604 wrote:
20 Sep 2020
HE77ION wrote:
20 Sep 2020
one more thing if you don't mind what do you do when you run out of those 8 sends?
I never did, but perhaps I'd use Parallel Out that each track has and route all of them to silenced 14:2 Mixer that can have 4 sends? You wouldn't have access to them from the SSL Mixer, though.
This will most likely sound different from using sends. The parallel out is "pre everything" in the channel. Sends are typically "post everything". This means that with sends, any dynamics, EQ, filtering, inserts, and even the fader position will affect the send signal.
For Reason users to add more sends there would need to be one simple change: direct outputs on each channel would need to NOT mute the main signal when used. As it is, connecting direct outputs mutes the main signal, which is not useful. The "real" SSL mixer uses a button to turn the Direct Outs on/off, and I wish this was the way Reason worked!
The only alternative is to add pre-fader sends (not as useful as post fader sends), and even then the only way to do it is to tap the inserts - and this only works if the inserts are in the last position (after dynamics and filter/EQ).
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 2012
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 21 Sep 2020

I'm new to 11 and have always had my insert FX return to a board channel (and accepted the solo glitch), but damn, I guess I'm not too old to learn.
Thanks Antic
Vlad the thread stopper 🧂

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 3 guests