Help us make Reason better, take a short survey!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Billy
Posts: 439
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 18 Sep 2020

How do you get the discount code? I did the survey but got nothing, maybe I'm getting better midi support instead
:ignition: :reason: :refill: :re: :rebirth: :PUF_figure: :nektar: :mac: :EiEPro: :Alesis Mk2:

User avatar
tallguy
Posts: 163
Joined: 11 Jan 2018

Post 19 Sep 2020

Did the survey via Twitter, didn't get a discount code. I'm OK with it, I'm not looking to buy anything from the store at the moment. If anything, a discount code would tempt me to buy something when I don't need it.

Expl0rer
Posts: 10
Joined: 16 Sep 2019

Post 19 Sep 2020

done

User avatar
tumar
Posts: 372
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 20 Sep 2020

tallguy wrote:
19 Sep 2020
Did the survey via Twitter, didn't get a discount code.
The same here. How to obtain code?

chaosroyale
Posts: 458
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 20 Sep 2020

I did the survey but some of the questions were really weird.

- When you use Reason, how important are the following things to you?-

So... does 5 stars mean "it is important because Reason has this feature, so I that's why I use Reason" ???? OR "it is important because Reason needs this feature and does not have it".. or just "generally this is important in any DAW" ?

..seems like the answer will have the opposite meaning depending on the way you think about the question.

Here are just two examples:

"The included instruments are of high quality"

Is the question -
"Do you use Reason because you think the included instruments are of high quality?" .. If so, no, not anymore.
or, "Do you think high quality instruments should be important for Reason, like they were at the beginning?" ..If so, yes.


"Coming up with new ideas for my music"

Is the question -
"I want features to help me come up with new ideas" ...If so, absolutely fucking not. I hate cheesy gimmick play-it-for-you devices.
or, "I always focus strongly on coming up with new ideas while making music" ..If so, absolutely yes, and I find a smooth fast workflow is the best way to do that, not "more content" or devices that make cliche EDM for me.


So I think I answered pretty randomly to some of the questions because I was so confused, and depending on their intention, my answers would be completely opposite.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2590
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 20 Sep 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Sep 2020
I did the survey but some of the questions were really weird.

- When you use Reason, how important are the following things to you?-

So... does 5 stars mean "it is important because Reason has this feature, so I that's why I use Reason" ???? OR "it is important because Reason needs this feature and does not have it".. or just "generally this is important in any DAW" ?

..seems like the answer will have the opposite meaning depending on the way you think about the question.

Here are just two examples:

"The included instruments are of high quality"

Is the question -
"Do you use Reason because you think the included instruments are of high quality?" .. If so, no, not anymore.
or, "Do you think high quality instruments should be important for Reason, like they were at the beginning?" ..If so, yes.


"Coming up with new ideas for my music"

Is the question -
"I want features to help me come up with new ideas" ...If so, absolutely fucking not. I hate cheesy gimmick play-it-for-you devices.
or, "I always focus strongly on coming up with new ideas while making music" ..If so, absolutely yes, and I find a smooth fast workflow is the best way to do that, not "more content" or devices that make cliche EDM for me.


So I think I answered pretty randomly to some of the questions because I was so confused, and depending on their intention, my answers would be completely opposite.
I didn't think the questions were that confusing at all. the context is right in the title of the thread: "help us make Reason better". it's about what you want Reason to be in the future.

"is it important that in Reason, the included instruments are of high quality?" if you want to use Reason for its instruments, the answer is probably yes. if you say no here, you're saying that you don't care about the quality of the instruments they provide, now or in the future.

for the question about coming up with new ideas for your own music, I'm not sure why anyone would think they were asking about your own (non-Reason) idea-generating capacity. that's not something RS could do anything about, so if that's what they were asking, it's sort of a pointless question. so again, it's talking about the context of Reason. do you like features in Reason that help you come up with new ideas for your music? for you, it's a no.

exxx
Posts: 113
Joined: 12 Sep 2016

Post 21 Sep 2020

I think there is a little odd part of this survey.

Because reasontalk has a lot of complaints and improvements about reason daw.

Of course, the opinions of this place are not all, but I don't think there is any place for opinions beyond the ideas written here.

Giving discount vouchers as rewards is a bit weird, and surveys and discount vouchers seem to be temporary marketing tools.

User avatar
PhutureD
Posts: 479
Joined: 04 Aug 2015

Post 21 Sep 2020

My issue is that the survey hardly addressees any of the issues concerned with the actual software . It was generic at best

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7902
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 21 Sep 2020

Nothing weird about in any way.

Ppl seem to mix up a few things here with the current surveys.

There is one public survey, also announced here.

There is one internal survey, for current customers. And RS gives them a voucher if they do the survey.

Same did and still do other companies. Forums is not the best place to get an idea of what to do. If i look at KVR, you get a big bunch of "hate", "dirt" and "sh!t" comments between a few useful comments. So best is, open your eyes, ask ppl in several places via several channels to get an idea, what is going on.

The only thing to mention is, that some companies do not give you anything back for surveys, while other are very generous with like 20$, 35$, 20% or whatever. RS didnt gave anybody anything in the past, so its a good thing from them to give their customers a little thing for the information they receive. The only drawback for me is, the 15% are pretty useless to me - but i had the same thing with other vouchers like that in the past.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2590
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 21 Sep 2020

PhutureD wrote:
21 Sep 2020
My issue is that the survey hardly addressees any of the issues concerned with the actual software . It was generic at best
keeping it generic was the point, I think. they’re trying to figure out which areas of the software to focus on, by understanding what users are looking for.

if the people who took the survey overwhelmingly said they want more tools to help them come up with new ideas, it wouldn’t make sense for them to focus on adding markers or track folders, for instance.

the free-form question at the end is where you’re supposed to talk specifics.

User avatar
bossa
Posts: 165
Joined: 26 Jan 2017
Location: Gudensberg Germany

Post 21 Sep 2020

I used a support ticket to tell reasonstudios that I took part in the survey and asked for a promocode, which was then assigned to me.

User avatar
rgdaniel
Posts: 401
Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Location: Canada

Post 23 Sep 2020

doze wrote:
17 Sep 2020
rgdaniel wrote:
17 Sep 2020


Good question... The only thing I'm interested in right now is Friktion,
but if I use the 15% on that, sure as heck it'll go on sale for 40% off the next day...
Do it for the rest of us.... 40% off would be great ;)
Well I took one for the team... bought Friktion with my survey discount... expect it to go down to 40% off any day now... you're welcome.... I'm going to tell my wife it's her birthday present... "I know we said no presents this year, but I couldn't resist. I'll keep it safe for you, here on my computer"

User avatar
Koshdukai
Posts: 265
Joined: 02 Jun 2015

Post 23 Sep 2020

The 1-to-5 questions were weird, I agree.

Done.

Couldn't help to suggest my long time wishes for Reason so... nothing new from me :)

(wasn't aware there was a discount to win... I need to start reading stuff to the end :? )

User avatar
qn5
Posts: 129
Joined: 29 Nov 2016
Location: NYC

Post 24 Sep 2020

Creativemind wrote:
18 Sep 2020
qn5 wrote:
17 Sep 2020
Suggested *finish this song for me* feature.

donesies.
So because people want the software to improve and add more features, they're expecting the software to write the song for them?

You're on Reason 6 then?
Jokes are things. :lol:
Still, I'd personally love a "finish the song" for me button.
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

retango
Posts: 12
Joined: 07 Aug 2016

Post 24 Sep 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Sep 2020
I did the survey but some of the questions were really weird.

- When you use Reason, how important are the following things to you?-

So... does 5 stars mean "it is important because Reason has this feature, so I that's why I use Reason" ???? OR "it is important because Reason needs this feature and does not have it".. or just "generally this is important in any DAW" ?

..seems like the answer will have the opposite meaning depending on the way you think about the question.
This exact same thing happened to me. Was not sure what they meant.. And whats worst, almost all the questions were like this. Very poorly designed survey.. its a pitty..
:reason: :rebirth: :re: :PUF_balance: :PUF_figure:

Man@Arms
Posts: 2
Joined: 19 Dec 2019

Post 30 Sep 2020

Done

User avatar
MusicianX
Posts: 61
Joined: 15 Jul 2016

Post 02 Oct 2020

esselfortium wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Thanks for doing this. Filled out the survey and my wishlist for smarter mixer/sequencer/rack organization (with folders!), track presets to save and recall groups of tracks with their mixer channels, and macros.
I asked for the same exact things. I really would love some sort of folders and track presets.

User avatar
SynthGang
Posts: 62
Joined: 21 Jan 2020
Location: Canada

Post 04 Oct 2020

Are we all reading the same language? If I were to assume that Reason Studios was in a somewhat vulnerable market position, which I do suspect may be the case, then I think the questions were very well-suited to generating the sorts of responses the company will need to help them figure out their future direction.

I really don't believe they are in dire straits, but if I were to hazard a guess I would say that their market share, user adoption and license sales have all almost certainly declined over the last few version releases, and that this decline was preceded by a sustained period of growth - good reasons to be proactive indeed. The release of version 6.5 finally saw Reason becoming a full-fledged DAW and probably helped accelerate that growth right up to versions 8 or 9. Meanwhile the DAW market at large continued to evolve at breakneck speeds all while becoming increasingly fragmented, eventually leaving RS and it's well-deserved reputation for a snail-like pace of development in the dust - which is where we stand today of course. I believe this survey is simply proof that they need to gauge their position in order to find a sustainable way forward and survive.

Which brings me to my main point: acknowledging that this is pure conjecture, I believe the real problem with Reason Studios lies in its culture as an organization. When you consider RS' design approach and history as a company, it isn't unreasonable to think that their staff might have a skillset better suited to completing smaller more closed-ended projects (read: Rebirth, virtual cables, modular environment, etc.) rather than being able to focus on the very necessary but tedious "big picture, small details" development work that is needed to help push Reason back into the space of being a serious contender as a DAW. Reason is sort of a tinkerer's dream but obviously lacks some of the depth offered by much of the competition and I think the reasons (the reason *ahem* why 'Reason' is terrible branding from an SEO standpoint btw but I digress) for why that is, are obvious when you consider RS' development decisions over time (e.g. consistent development focus on the rack itself). Problem is I'm not convinced of RS' ability to survive as a developer of RE's or VSTs when comparing them to the likes of Native Instruments for example: Battery vs. Kong/Umpf/Poof/the 1,000 other unnecessary drum machines? One is both as simple and as deep as you want it to be while the others are mere toys with very limited capability. How many more drum machines do we need? I get it, they were intended for new users/Reason Intro users but it's frustrating to pay for multiple version upgrades and instead of being provided with powerful new features we get yet another freakin' drum machine! :puf_unhappy:

At the end of the survey I basically said that I love Reason as a full-fledged DAW and if it makes financial sense for the company, I really hope they can start working on bringing it up to snuff in that department. In my never-ending quest to learn more I get frustrated and jealous by what tools I see available to users of other platforms. Almost all of those things are likely to have workarounds in Reason but who wants a workaround? We want workflow! As we become more powerful users we thirst for more powerful features because the easier something becomes in a DAW, the less barrier we have to our creativity and that's really what this is all about!
Last edited by SynthGang on 05 Oct 2020, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SynthGang
Posts: 62
Joined: 21 Jan 2020
Location: Canada

Post 05 Oct 2020

Maybe the situation really is more dire than I thought - how many new adopters could there really be with results like these:
Untitled.png
:cry:

This makes me wonder how beneficial it might be to consider a complete re-branding away from 'Reason'?

I know suggesting this is one of the most blasphemous things a Reason user could say (and I have always quite liked the name), but I also know just how frustrating it is to find Reason-related content on YouTube or the internet at large due to the simple fact that 'Reason' is just too ambiguous a word. In order to find relevant results I've always found it necessary to type Reason Studios in quotation marks to ensure only results containing that exact string of words are returned.

Cakewalk, FL Studio, Presonus, Ableton, Pro Tools - these are all immediately identifiable. While Logic might be in the same branding boat as Reason, it has the obvious advantage of being owned by Apple! Realistically it's probably neither wise nor worth the effort/cost to re-brand, but RS could probably do a better job of marketing themselves. Unless they find a new way forward then all roads lead to a complete overhaul.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
miyaru
Posts: 129
Joined: 28 Oct 2019
Location: Zaanstad, The Netherlands

Post 05 Oct 2020

Done the questions. I really like Reason, it works nice, feels nice and sounds nice!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, Reason Suite 11, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Rob Papen's Predator 2, Sonarworks Reference 4 and Scaler.

User avatar
faun2500
Posts: 155
Joined: 27 Sep 2015

Post 12 Oct 2020

I took the survey. Thanks.
Big discounts on new Reason ReFills at https://NewLoops.com :refill: :refill: :thumbs_up:

User avatar
MrBlue
Posts: 52
Joined: 12 Oct 2015
Location: France - Burgundy

Post 13 Oct 2020

@SynthGang
Where did you get these numbers?

two shoes
Posts: 254
Joined: 13 Jul 2018

Post 13 Oct 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
17 Sep 2020
madmacman wrote:
17 Sep 2020
I filled the survey, but didn't submit when I reached the last page. Because after reconsidering my previous answers, I didn't feel to be the target audience of Reason. And I didn't want to derail the survey - left it to people more dedicated to Reason.
Please fill it in anyway! There's not just one target audience and we want to hear from everyone :)
They don't take seriously or learn from feedback of any kind from anyone. This and the previous Props forum they shut down to hide the "feedback" from prospective users are littered with the proof of that and the bitterness it engenders from their most enthusiastic and long term customers. and I see no signs of that changing under current ownership/management at RS.

User avatar
Skimrok
Posts: 372
Joined: 12 Jun 2018
Location: U.K.

Post 18 Oct 2020

Done

32 or 64 bit song export and VST3 support inside Reason without any silly work around
Reason 11 Suite :reason: Akai White Mini Mk3 / Nektar LX25+ / MPD218 /Focal Alpha 80 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3626
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 18 Oct 2020

SynthGang wrote:
04 Oct 2020
Are we all reading the same language? If I were to assume that Reason Studios was in a somewhat vulnerable market position, which I do suspect may be the case, then I think the questions were very well-suited to generating the sorts of responses the company will need to help them figure out their future direction.

I really don't believe they are in dire straits, but if I were to hazard a guess I would say that their market share, user adoption and license sales have all almost certainly declined over the last few version releases, and that this decline was preceded by a sustained period of growth - good reasons to be proactive indeed. The release of version 6.5 finally saw Reason becoming a full-fledged DAW and probably helped accelerate that growth right up to versions 8 or 9. Meanwhile the DAW market at large continued to evolve at breakneck speeds all while becoming increasingly fragmented, eventually leaving RS and it's well-deserved reputation for a snail-like pace of development in the dust - which is where we stand today of course. I believe this survey is simply proof that they need to gauge their position in order to find a sustainable way forward and survive.

Which brings me to my main point: acknowledging that this is pure conjecture, I believe the real problem with Reason Studios lies in its culture as an organization. When you consider RS' design approach and history as a company, it isn't unreasonable to think that their staff might have a skillset better suited to completing smaller more closed-ended projects (read: Rebirth, virtual cables, modular environment, etc.) rather than being able to focus on the very necessary but tedious "big picture, small details" development work that is needed to help push Reason back into the space of being a serious contender as a DAW. Reason is sort of a tinkerer's dream but obviously lacks some of the depth offered by much of the competition and I think the reasons (the reason *ahem* why 'Reason' is terrible branding from an SEO standpoint btw but I digress) for why that is, are obvious when you consider RS' development decisions over time (e.g. consistent development focus on the rack itself). Problem is I'm not convinced of RS' ability to survive as a developer of RE's or VSTs when comparing them to the likes of Native Instruments for example: Battery vs. Kong/Umpf/Poof/the 1,000 other unnecessary drum machines? One is both as simple and as deep as you want it to be while the others are mere toys with very limited capability. How many more drum machines do we need? I get it, they were intended for new users/Reason Intro users but it's frustrating to pay for multiple version upgrades and instead of being provided with powerful new features we get yet another freakin' drum machine! :puf_unhappy:

At the end of the survey I basically said that I love Reason as a full-fledged DAW and if it makes financial sense for the company, I really hope they can start working on bringing it up to snuff in that department. In my never-ending quest to learn more I get frustrated and jealous by what tools I see available to users of other platforms. Almost all of those things are likely to have workarounds in Reason but who wants a workaround? We want workflow! As we become more powerful users we thirst for more powerful features because the easier something becomes in a DAW, the less barrier we have to our creativity and that's really what this is all about!
It's no secret but I actually really agree with you there. They actually thought muting midi notes (which should've been included in Reason 3) was a worthy feature for a major whole version release. Bit insulting really. The whole midi editor getting a ton of new features and that being included would've been better and it advertised as a big midi editor update 'cause there are at least another 15 features needed for the midi editor.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests