Reason 11 on Intel i9 10900K - Audio Dropouts

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
altron

10 Sep 2020

Hi,

I've upgraded to a totally newly built PC with a i9 10900K (10 cores) CPU recently and catching up installing my audio software just now. Playing some of my arrangements I notice that Reason seems to have an issue with the new CPU as I'm getting regular dropouts and lags. The same setup and songs worked just dandy on my previous system (an i7 4 core).

With a song loaded and stopped Reason consumes 15-20% CPU on the new system and 40% to 50% when playing. The CPU temperature stays around 50 degrees C.

If I switch the Reason settings to not use multi-core audio rendering Reason uses only ~5% CPU but the audio glitches still happen.

What's going on? Anyone got any ideas or solutions to this?
Trap is where music goes to die.

Loque

10 Sep 2020

Power Settings checked?
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

10 Sep 2020

how is your RAM configured? I’m still on an i7, but a few months ago decided to max out my RAM. I went from two 8 GB sticks to four 16 GB sticks. as soon as I did, I started getting dropouts and playback issues in Reason.

if you’re using all four RAM slots, you might want to try removing the RAM in the secondary slots (you may want to refer to your motherboard’s documentation to be sure, if you didn’t put the PC together yourself), and see if that helps.

if that works, and you can afford it, you might need to just max out the RAM you can use in two slots instead of using all four. sucks that I can only use half of my max RAM to keep Reason running smoothly, but in my case it’s still double what I had before.

all that said, hopefully that’s NOT the case and you can find an easier solution that doesn’t involve fiddling around with your PC hardware. good luck!
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

altron

10 Sep 2020

@Loque I think the power settings (CPU voltage?) are OK. I let it run on AI settings in my BIOS.

@guifnky Thanks but I doubt it's that. RAM is maxed out actually with 64GB on an Asus Apex mainboard which only has two DRAM sockets.

sonicbyte

10 Sep 2020

Hi,

Things to check:

- Disable any onboard audio card from device manager
- Check in power management that your current setup is on High Performance
- Disable usb chance to enter on sleep mode after some time in power management settings

If all above checked and still with issues also try temporary disable bluetooth, network and wifi cards or devices

Good luck !

adfielding

10 Sep 2020

altron wrote:
10 Sep 2020
@Loque I think the power settings (CPU voltage?) are OK. I let it run on AI settings in my BIOS
I suspect Loque may have been referring to Windows' own Power Management settings.

Open the start menu and click on "Settings" at the top (should be underneath Documents, though I'm using Classic Shell so I'm not 100% certain on how the vanilla Win10 start menu is laid out these days!). Once you're in PC Settings, click on "System", then "Power & Sleep" on the left. Click "Additional power settings" under the "Related settings" heading. If "Balanced" is selected, switch to "High Performance".

Balanced is a nice idea and works for most purposes, but when you're using software whose performance very much hinges on solid real-time performance alongside sudden and unexpected increases in CPU usage (such as audio production), it's not so great.

Loque

10 Sep 2020

adfielding wrote:
10 Sep 2020
altron wrote:
10 Sep 2020
@Loque I think the power settings (CPU voltage?) are OK. I let it run on AI settings in my BIOS
I suspect Loque may have been referring to Windows' own Power Management settings.

Open the start menu and click on "Settings" at the top (should be underneath Documents, though I'm using Classic Shell so I'm not 100% certain on how the vanilla Win10 start menu is laid out these days!). Once you're in PC Settings, click on "System", then "Power & Sleep" on the left. Click "Additional power settings" under the "Related settings" heading. If "Balanced" is selected, switch to "High Performance".

Balanced is a nice idea and works for most purposes, but when you're using software whose performance very much hinges on solid real-time performance alongside sudden and unexpected increases in CPU usage (such as audio production), it's not so great.
Exactly. Its the problem in 80% of all those posts. THe standard is Power Saving, Economy, or whatever. This causes drop outs, because the CPU cannot accelarte fast enought and slows down again too soon. If you have dropouts, disable Windows Powersaving completely or set it to highest performance.
Reason12, Win10

altron

10 Sep 2020

Loque wrote:
10 Sep 2020
adfielding wrote:
10 Sep 2020

Exactly. Its the problem in 80% of all those posts. THe standard is Power Saving, Economy, or whatever. This causes drop outs, because the CPU cannot accelarte fast enought and slows down again too soon. If you have dropouts, disable Windows Powersaving completely or set it to highest performance.
Well, I will be damned but this seems to have fixed it indeed! Thanks for the hint Loque and adfielding! I think I never touched these power settings on any install before (or maybe only unconsciously, unrelated to Reason and audio production). :thumbs_up:

Loque

10 Sep 2020

altron wrote:
10 Sep 2020
Loque wrote:
10 Sep 2020

Well, I will be damned but this seems to have fixed it indeed! Thanks for the hint Loque and adfielding! I think I never touched these power settings on any install before (or maybe only unconsciously, unrelated to Reason and audio production). :thumbs_up:
Your welcome. I dunno, why Reason Studios did not made a freaking FAQ for that yet...
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

10 Sep 2020

It is always that and that they are not plugged in and running off battery. Processors are hungry for power and batteries don't deliver enough power for power hungry processors. 🥞

guitfnky

10 Sep 2020

Loque wrote:
10 Sep 2020
altron wrote:
10 Sep 2020

Your welcome. I dunno, why Reason Studios did not made a freaking FAQ for that yet...
probably because there are walkthroughs and articles and videos readily available all over the world wide interwebz on the subject. though it wouldn’t hurt for them to at least point people to one of those resources.

Loque

10 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
10 Sep 2020
Loque wrote:
10 Sep 2020

probably because there are walkthroughs and articles and videos readily available all over the world wide interwebz on the subject. though it wouldn’t hurt for them to at least point people to one of those resources.
I am not sure if the ppl asking here ever did a search in the internet... Otherwise they would have come to one of the trillion answers already here alone on this forum...
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

10 Sep 2020

Loque wrote:
10 Sep 2020
guitfnky wrote:
10 Sep 2020

I am not sure if the ppl asking here ever did a search in the internet... Otherwise they would have come to one of the trillion answers already here alone on this forum...
😂

• Information