Cutting Whole Song Part At Marker

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Noplan
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2020

When copying song parts, it often happens to me that I have tracks that protrude into the marked area or overlap. Then I have to cut off every unnecessary track and mark everything from the beginning. It also happens that some small snippets are difficult to see and mark if you mark a larger area and zoom out.
cutting.jpg
cutting.jpg (145.18 KiB) Viewed 748 times
Is there a function where you can cut off all tracks in the song with the marker. Or can you select an area with the markers and mark it without having to do a complicated hike with the mouse? Or something else?

It has happened to me many times that I simply overlooked something for years. That's why I'm asking carefully here.

guitfnky

06 Sep 2020

sort of, but not at the markers (at least I don’t think so)—it works best at any grid snap point. get out your handy split tool and drag the split from your top track all the way to your bottom track. with snap on, it should leave you with one single split across everything.

you can also do it with snap off, but you have to be aware that you’re likely to end up with a second split—it will split once at the pointer position where you click the mouse button to start the split, but will also create a second split at the pointer position when you let go of the mouse button (hopefully that makes sense).

if that happens, you probably would want to rejoin any clips that fell under your second unwanted split.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

PhillipOrdonez

06 Sep 2020

Several ways. If snap is on, your selection will small to the grid.

Clicking on the top with the razor tool will cut everything on that point.

I like using the L and R markers, with snap on, of course, and either adding or removing bars between locators.

stratatonic

06 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
06 Sep 2020
... get out your handy split tool and drag the split from your top track all the way to your bottom track. with snap on, it should leave you with one single split across everything.
If you razor/drag at the top timeline between your L and R points, everything will get split. And highlighted as well. No need to drag all the way from top to bottom of project.

This will highlight your Block(s) as well (if you are using them), and you can shift/copy all the clips and Block(s) at the same time.
Last edited by stratatonic on 06 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

06 Sep 2020

stratatonic wrote:
06 Sep 2020
guitfnky wrote:
06 Sep 2020
... get out your handy split tool and drag the split from your top track all the way to your bottom track. with snap on, it should leave you with one single split across everything.
If you razor at the top timeline between your L and R points, everything will get split. And highlighted as well. No need to drag all the way from top to bottom of project.

This will highlight your Block(s) as well (if you are using them), and you can shift/copy all the clips and Block(s) at the same time.
aw that’s awesome! didn’t know that—thanks! 😄

chimp_spanner

06 Sep 2020

Also - and I don’t know if this works on the ruler but certainly with marquee selection - if you hold the duplicate modifier (option on Mac, ctrl on pc) while drawing a region with the razor it creates a copy. Sooo in theory you can create a perfectly snipped copy of an entire range. I’ll have to try it later to see if it works on the ruler. Or someone else can try it haha.

**Edit: okay yeah it works!

PhillipOrdonez

06 Sep 2020

That was a cool one I didn't know, chimp spanner. Thank you!

guitfnky

07 Sep 2020

so wait a minute, I just tried this and even with snap off, it's still splitting to the grid? looks like the nearest 32nd note. that seems...dumb. :|

Noplan
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2020

stratatonic wrote:
06 Sep 2020
guitfnky wrote:
06 Sep 2020
If you razor/drag at the top timeline between your L and R points, everything will get split. And highlighted as well. No need to drag all the way from top to bottom of project.

Thank you very much. You saved me a lot of time.

Noplan
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
06 Sep 2020
Also - and I don’t know if this works on the ruler but certainly with marquee selection - if you hold the duplicate modifier (option on Mac, ctrl on pc) while drawing a region with the razor it creates a copy. Sooo in theory you can create a perfectly snipped copy of an entire range. I’ll have to try it later to see if it works on the ruler. Or someone else can try it haha.

**Edit: okay yeah it works!
Merci. <3

• Information