Clipping master issues

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Frankdw

03 Sep 2020

Hi all, have something weird going on. I wanted to remaster an oldskool track called 'Prisoners of extacy' in reason. Using OZONE8 and carefully adding low and gain I had a pretty good result when listening IN reason. When I master it out, using a straight render out it sounds seriously clipped. I tried all sorts off possible solutions, using the SELIG GAIN to check if everything is not clipping or peaking to much, but all is good. I also used a 're-record' IN reason using another track to record the result and it works fine. BUT, when exporting that result again it clips. Tried using the bounce method but again clipping. I have absolutely no idea what is happening but this kinda makes me worried there is something fishy in the mastering or rendering out to a master. I can send over the reason project and would be very thankful if someone could figure it out... Might be something simple I overlooked, but for now I'm kinda afraid there's something in the 'render-out' of reason itself.
Anybody?

Thanks
Frank

PhillipOrdonez

03 Sep 2020

Send it over I'll check it out

PhillipOrdonez

03 Sep 2020

Hold on a minute, a song that was already mastered? I don't know how much can be done if you don't have the mixdown?

selig
RE Developer

03 Sep 2020

What are you using to test the master file? Can you try importing it back into a totally "clean" Reason Song file and see not only what it looks like but also what it sounds like?
Selig Audio, LLC

Frankdw

04 Sep 2020

Well, this is weird. This morning after reading all feedback, I tried to render out the master output again without changing anything.... It sounds perfect, no clipping...? :o
The project remained open all night, nothing was changed... I'm in the dark here, but hey... it works now. I can only think it might have something to do with the audio card that does something weird? Although I don't go 'out' to the audiocard while rendering.....

Regarding what my plan was. The track is from the 90ties and is a sort of creative reference for me, but it sounded dull and low compared to newer tracks. So I used Ozone to re-master it a bit thicker' overall and selig GAIN for checking the clipping.... (great tool btw.)
Although I'm not a mixing or mastering engineer, I think I have just enough knowledge to use the tools properly, but it seems other tracks always sound 'better' (as in bigger, wider, deeper etc.) Gotta lotta learning to do, so it seems... :)

For those who do want to check this out, here's a wetransfer with the project....

Download link
https://we.tl/t-Z8mL11jeWL

Thank you all for the feedback!

Cheers
f

Frankdw

04 Sep 2020

selig wrote:
03 Sep 2020
What are you using to test the master file? Can you try importing it back into a totally "clean" Reason Song file and see not only what it looks like but also what it sounds like?
I listen through opening the mastered file simply by opening it in the 'preview' mode on mac. so just push the spacebar en it plays... now it plays fine... Must have been something resetting in the audio card. Weird thing is that that mastered file as you suggested, did also play clipped when I imported it back in a clean track in reason... so; I don't see no logic in this... today the same file plays perfect..

btw. congrats on the RE-tools! :)

Regards,
Frank

selig
RE Developer

04 Sep 2020

Frankdw wrote:
04 Sep 2020
selig wrote:
03 Sep 2020
I listen through opening the mastered file simply by opening it in the 'preview' mode on mac. so just push the spacebar en it plays... now it plays fine... Must have been something resetting in the audio card. Weird thing is that that mastered file as you suggested, did also play clipped when I imported it back in a clean track in reason... so; I don't see no logic in this... today the same file plays perfect..

Regards,
Frank
So you bounced it again today, and now you have two audio files to compare: does the originally rendered distorted file STILL sound distorted?
Selig Audio, LLC

Frankdw

04 Sep 2020

selig wrote:
04 Sep 2020
Frankdw wrote:
04 Sep 2020

Regards,
Frank
So you bounced it again today, and now you have two audio files to compare: does the originally rendered distorted file STILL sound distorted?
Correct. The file that was oversaturated yesterday, now sounds ok... I have absolutely no idea what happened.... Never mind though, it must have been an audiocard 'thing'... It's to weird to have an explanaition from within reason in my opinion. Thanks for the reply!
grts
Frank

Boombastix
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2020

On occasion I have had some serious distortion. Seems to be some other program that messes with the audio driver. Close programs or a full restart fixed it. It is rare though.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information