Good way to copy effects to send FX?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Popnfrsh24

30 Aug 2020

Yo,

So, what I usually like to do is if I am working on my first vocal track, i plop in the reverb, delay, echo on the audio track. Then, when I have dialed it in I would like to copy those plugins & settings, and plop them into the send FX.

Every time I do this, i just stumble thru it. And I've been MIA for a few months in this software so the struggle is real right now.

Does anybody have a good way to take whatever inserts and settings on plugins and easily send them to free channels on the send fx?

Thanks!

Nielsen

30 Aug 2020

Save the individual patches you've dialled in on the various FX devices. Then delete the insert FX devices and create send FX on mixer console by right clicking anywhere in mixer window and select "Create Send FX" for each effect you need. Load the presets you just saved into the new send FX devices.

You could also press the tab key and reroute the FX devices, so instead of having the cables in insert configuration between instruments and FX devices, you route the FX devices into the respective FX Send and FX Return inputs on the master section at the top of the rack.

You may also want to route the FX return via a mixer channel regardless of how you do it, for more control.
Last edited by Nielsen on 30 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

30 Aug 2020

i asume you have them all "past" your audio channel
1. Select your fx
2. Select "combine" in popup menu
3. Shift+drag the Combinator below your master section in the rack
3b. Alternatively you can save patch and reopen it anytime

I asume, you have them as insert fx within your audio
1. Just save the audio channel patch (its the insert fx chain)
2. Open it as a send fx
Reason12, Win10

Popnfrsh24

30 Aug 2020

thanks guys!

groggy1

30 Aug 2020

After the steps folks recommended, you still need to change your fx to 100% wet (since it’s a send fx now), and engage the fx in the mixer

So overall, it’s a pain so sorry there isn’t an easier way

selig
RE Developer

30 Aug 2020

I would suggest working a different way to achieve what you're asking. Many reasons why:
1: The FX in your example are serial, one feeding into the next. You cannot replicate this if you put them on their own sends.
2: Dry/Wet controls work differently from sends, especially concerning the "dry" part, which is 3/6 dB lower @ 50/50 (depending on the pan law used). To replicate just one device inserted at 50/50 you'd need to send at unity but also reduce the fader level by at least 3 dB to retain the exact levels and balances.
3: Muting the channel with insert FXs will mute all FX including "ringing" feedback on delays or reverb. Muting the channel with sends will allow the FX to "ring out". Fader "moves" can also sound different because of this, such as a quick dip or boost.

It may make more sense to start with the FX on sends, so as not to have to deal with trying to match the results and move stuff around, which especially with #1 above may not ever sound exactly the same.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information