RRP; multiple players, multiple MIDI channels?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

27 Aug 2020

Hey everyone - just trying to set something up here. I feel like I've had it working in the past but it's not now. Simple setup;

Drumseq attached to MIDI out device on channel 1, Battery input set to RRP, channel 1.

Sequences attached to MIDI out device on channel 2, Serum input set to RRP, channel 2.

Trouble is, both players trigger both synths. I'm positive I had this working once upon a time. The idea being to use the rack as a central "brain" or programmer for a bunch of VST plugins. Anyone got this going?

Sterioevo

27 Aug 2020

Are you sending midi out to a virtual midi port and then back in via the Advanced Midi buses?

Jackjackdaw

28 Aug 2020

I have had similar issues. Can't remember where I got to with it. Probably gave up in frustration!

DaveyG

28 Aug 2020

Is there a reason why you don't just use two instances of RRP?

chimp_spanner

28 Aug 2020

DaveyG wrote:
28 Aug 2020
Well, mostly out of curiosity; the MIDI Out devices have a channel setting so I'd expect them to do something. Also I kinda like the idea of just building a groovebox style interface in a single rack to drive drums and a couple of synths or something. Just weird cos I swear it worked once upon a time!

Jackjackdaw

28 Aug 2020

DaveyG wrote:
28 Aug 2020
For me, I just don't see the point of a rack format if you have to load seperate instances of everything. I would rather have seperate vsts like the Europa VST. The appeal of the Rack is the grouping and routing potential.

DaveyG

28 Aug 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
28 Aug 2020
I would rather have seperate vsts
That would be my absolute utopia. Each device and player as a separate VST. What a suite of instruments and effects that would be!
Jackjackdaw wrote:
28 Aug 2020
For me, I just don't see the point of a rack format if you have to load seperate instances of everything.
I see what you are saying but I treat each instance of the RRP as a "super instrument". Maybe a player, a synth and some effects or a combi.

If you want to do complicated wiring in the rack then you are probably better off in Reason Standalone.

chimp_spanner

28 Aug 2020

For anyone that's interested in doing something like this, the key is to use the input transformer in Cubase to filter MIDI channels. Works fine! Of course whether it's actually useful/desirable to do this all from one rack, is another matter! But at least I know it's possible and the MIDI Out device is doing what it's supposed to.

• Information