Capture frequency range of audio as CV signal(s)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Bjørn Felle

25 Aug 2020

Hi everyone, I would like to be able to capture the frequency range (lower and upper frequency) of an audio signal and convert the frequencies to CV signals. The idea is to then feed the lower and upper frequencies as CV signals to a pair of filters on another sound which can then match their cutoffs and create a notch which will exactly "fit" the frequency range of the signal being analysed. Is this possible somehow? Or can you in some other way "punch out" the frequency range of one signal from another?

deeplink
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2020

A spider with a copy of a signal going to the BV512 can assists you here, it's a frequency band output.
Otherwise you can split the frequency bands using the setereo imager
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Sterioevo

25 Aug 2020

The conversion to CV will always have latency. You might be better to use an audio input like on "Pulveriser" to drive the frequency response?
Does the Carve RE achieve what you are looking for?

Bjørn Felle

25 Aug 2020

deeplink wrote:
25 Aug 2020
A spider with a copy of a signal going to the BV512 can assists you here, it's a frequency band output.
Otherwise you can split the frequency bands using the setereo imager
Hmm I wonder if the resolution of BV512 would be high enough. And I wonder how I would distill the multiple outputs to two cutoff frequencies. It will take a lot of wiring I think but it’s a good start, thanks!
Sterioevo wrote:
25 Aug 2020
The conversion to CV will always have latency. You might be better to use an audio input like on "Pulveriser" to drive the frequency response?
Does the Carve RE achieve what you are looking for?
I’m not quite so worried about latency as this is for pre-recording so I can compensate. Could you give more detail on how to use Pulveriser for something like this? I did try Carve but I couldn’t get it to duck enough for the effect to be as noticeable as I would like, but it’s possible this was a problem with how I was using it. I have probably exceeded my trial duration now so can’t go back and try again without buying it

Loque

25 Aug 2020

I experimented with BV512 and Neptune. They work somehow, but i was never satisfied with the results.
The new Autotune could do the job, but it's pricey. Wondering why never someone made a simple RE for this...
Reason12, Win10

Sterioevo

25 Aug 2020

Bjørn Felle wrote:
25 Aug 2020
I’m not quite so worried about latency as this is for pre-recording so I can compensate. Could you give more detail on how to use Pulveriser for something like this? I did try Carve but I couldn’t get it to duck enough for the effect to be as noticeable as I would like, but it’s possible this was a problem with how I was using it. I have probably exceeded my trial duration now so can’t go back and try again without buying it
Disregard the Pulveriser suggestion as my results were not overly useful - basically a filtered side chain.
The Omega Dynamic EQ is another approach with one filter type at a time available. Izotopes Neutron and some other VST's do this as well.

I have always found Carve to do the job effectively, albeit a bit buggy from time to time.

• Information