Detecting the pitch of kicks

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
enossified

18 Aug 2020

Try soloing the kick against a sine wave source, sweep the pitch of the sine until it matches the kick then route the sine into a tuner.

Or use your ears.

selig
RE Developer

18 Aug 2020

To add more techniques to the pile:
Use a high Q parametric EQ boost and sweep until you find the most (loudest) energy (use metering), and that is the frequency of the kick.

I of course use ColoringEQ because it's already tuned to semitones, so you immediately know the pitch of the kick, and because adding saturation makes it even easier to hear the pitch. Plus it has a peak hold meter, which allows you to find the highest level quickly.
Selig Audio, LLC

Billy+

19 Aug 2020

What part of the kick are we all talking about here?

The initial Attack
The body Sustained portion
Or the Decaying tail?
IMG_2122.PNG
IMG_2122.PNG (49.36 KiB) Viewed 771 times

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2020

Billy wrote:
19 Aug 2020

The initial Attack
Or the Decaying tail?

The fundamental frequency of the kick

The initial attack(or click) doesn't matter at all from my test. It's too short to make a tone.

The starting pitch of the kick is not as important as the ending pitch of the kick. How fast the pitch decays is important but as long as it decays to that fundamental lower pitch, it'll sound musical from my experiments. But you can take it a step further and try to make even the starting pitch harmonic as well, maybe 7 or 19 semitones higher or something. Adjusting the sus and decay to get the correct tonal balance of each portion.

The way I do it (which there is no right or wrong way as long as it sounds good) is by using one synth to create the fundamental and then doing a lot of processing /parallel processing on that kick. Creating overtones, eq, compression, etc. So the attack, body, and tail are all the same synth playing one note. All the higher harmonics being overtones of the fundamental.

If you're layering samples then I'd probably just make sure your fundamental is where you want it. The others are less crucial for a musical sound in the mix.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2020

Billy wrote:
19 Aug 2020

The initial Attack
Or the Decaying tail?
Lol, I don't think anyone really knows :shock: Also, looking at a spectrum with a moving average curve and low resolution in the lower register and think you can determine the note when the separation of each note is around 3-4Hz... And add to that the pitch is changing a lot during the kicks duration, that is about 0.2 sec. Well, yeah, lot's of witchcraft here :lol:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Billy+

19 Aug 2020

I use this https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -analyzer/

With a peak hold

And
IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1283.JPG (118.03 KiB) Viewed 730 times

To get a rough estimate

Boombastix
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2020

Billy wrote:
19 Aug 2020
I use this https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -analyzer/

With a peak hold

And IMG_1283.JPG

To get a rough estimate
So the 50 and 63Hz bar on that device can tell it was maybe a F# or a C or something in between, further convoluted by the display time averaging (maybe 0.5 sec) for a kick that lasts around 0.25 sec. How is that useful?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2020

Boombastix wrote:
19 Aug 2020
Billy wrote:
19 Aug 2020

The initial Attack
Or the Decaying tail?
Lol, I don't think anyone really knows :shock: Also, looking at a spectrum with a moving average curve and low resolution in the lower register and think you can determine the note when the separation of each note is around 3-4Hz... And add to that the pitch is changing a lot during the kicks duration, that is about 0.2 sec. Well, yeah, lot's of witchcraft here :lol:

Billy+

19 Aug 2020

Yeah, It's basically somewhere around there and it sounds fine so I'm keeping it. :lol:

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2020

Billy wrote:
19 Aug 2020
Yeah, It's basically somewhere around there and it sounds fine so I'm keeping it. :lol:
If it works it works :thumbs_up:

I initially started tuning kicks because of certain genres that I've tried to make over the years almost required it. What I mean is that in order to achieve a certain sound, tuning your loudest instrument that is taking up a lot of room in the mix is generally a good practice(especially when it's coexisting with the bass synth in a edm style track.) Especially if you aren't trying to volume duck or dynamic eq everything. That's why I do it at least :D

Billy+

20 Aug 2020

Do you prefer you kick to be above your bass sounds or below it in frequency?

nooomy

20 Aug 2020

Billy wrote:
20 Aug 2020
Do you prefer you kick to be above your bass sounds or below it in frequency?
It depends on what sounds best for you and what type of genre you are producing

buddard
RE Developer

20 Aug 2020

I usually find it easier to hear the pitch of the kick by playing it one or two octaves above the original pitch. And after pitching it correctly I just transpose it back down to the original octave range.

A disadvantage is that the sample can get really short, but you can temporarily add a reverb with a long tail to hear it better.

selig
RE Developer

20 Aug 2020

buddard wrote:
20 Aug 2020
I usually find it easier to hear the pitch of the kick by playing it one or two octaves above the original pitch. And after pitching it correctly I just transpose it back down to the original octave range.

A disadvantage is that the sample can get really short, but you can temporarily add a reverb with a long tail to hear it better.
That's where the saturation (or limiting) technique helps, adding some sustain so you can better hear the pitch ring out.

But there is still the problem of pitch bend, which on some sounds (both electronic and acoustic) I've found to be too strong to determine any single/obvious note reference.

Meaning, sometimes you cannot determine one clean pitch for a kick, so you either compromise or find another sample - or do what I suggested in my first post which is to add your own fundamental at a specific pitch of your choosing.
Selig Audio, LLC

nooomy

21 Aug 2020

I have tried alot of way but this is probably the best way for me.

Im thinking i will do a video where i detect all the kicks in FSB

BRIGGS

21 Aug 2020

It not that hard to tune the by ear, assuming you have an ear for this stuff.
Last edited by BRIGGS on 21 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.
r11s

enossified

21 Aug 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
21 Aug 2020
It not that hard to tune the by ear, assuming you have a ear for this stuff.
Indeed. After all, drummers tune their drums by ear all the time.

BRIGGS

21 Aug 2020

enossified wrote:
21 Aug 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
21 Aug 2020
It not that hard to tune the by ear, assuming you have a ear for this stuff.
Indeed. After all, drummers tune their drums by ear all the time.
If you hang out with drummers long enough, you'll end up learning how to play the drums. And, if you're interested enough, some of them will show you the 'ins and outs'.
r11s

• Information