Nektar P1 "did not respond properly" error after latest Update

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Maxsu

05 Aug 2020

Hello Guys & Girls,

since the latest Reason Update I get a constant Message that "Control surface inactivated" when I am clicking on a Automation line or on a Mixer Channel - I cannot say if its only when I am clicking on something but the Message appears really often and my P1 Panorama cant be use anymore with reason. Pls help, I love the Controller. :roll:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2020

Maxsu wrote:
05 Aug 2020
Hello Guys & Girls,

since the latest Reason Update I get a constant Message that "Control surface inactivated" when I am clicking on a Automation line or on a Mixer Channel - I cannot say if its only when I am clicking on something but the Message appears really often and my P1 Panorama cant be use anymore with reason. Pls help, I love the Controller. :roll:
Nektar keyboards need setting up a special way in Reason (see downloadable .pdf pertaining to Reason on Nektar website). Also after set up you have to save a new Nektar specific default song so that the mappings are saved and loaded when you open Reason again..
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Maxsu

05 Aug 2020

thanks for your answer!

I tried that but no success. I used the controller for 5 months without a problem now I start reason and the Controller immediately is inactive. I worked weeks in the same project before with the controller without any probs... no firmware update needed.

In a new project file it works I think but I have to see how it works with more Channels.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2020

Maxsu wrote:
05 Aug 2020
thanks for your answer!

I tried that but no success. I used the controller for 5 months without a problem now I start reason and the Controller immediately is inactive. I worked weeks in the same project before with the controller without any probs... no firmware update needed.

In a new project file it works I think but I have to see how it works with more Channels.
Could it be that you saved the song without having the Nektar set as Master (using the Nektar instructions).? I had a song I’d started which I hadn’t set the mappings up for previously. I had to go in and go through the whole process again in Reason settings and then re-save the song
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Maxsu

05 Aug 2020

[/quote]

Could it be that you saved the song without having the Nektar set as Master (using the Nektar instructions).? I had a song I’d started which I hadn’t set the mappings up for previously. I had to go in and go through the whole process again in Reason settings and then re-save the song
[/quote]

That could be! Will try to set it all new up.

okaino

06 Aug 2020

I dont have an answer and im still on reason 10, but i know what your talking about. It happens commonly and most annoyingly when im using the track + and track - buttons when im changing through channels quickly.

Maxsu

08 Sep 2020

I have tried all (newly install all and set it up new for reason) but it had no effect when I use the P1 on ongoing Projects. When I start a new Project I have no problem BUT I think I have a solution for the case if you worked with the P1 on a project for a while and after a time it happens again:

For one project I am working on I set the latency from 512 to 1024 (on the soundcard not in Reason) and back. Know the P1 Controller works again also when I am working on older projects where the controller instantly went "inactivated" after you open the project.

I don´t know if it is luck but I will test further.

Just for Info ;)
Last edited by Maxsu on 11 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

okaino

08 Sep 2020

Im on a mac using reason 10 and in the last 2-3 months ive ran into the issue. Right now *knocks on cyber wood* i dont have the issue but it seems like when you have the issue its unrelenting and very frustrating.

The issue hasnt logically made sense to me either.

What i can recommend is manually delete the drivers also delete the control surface settings in reason.

Also note If you happen to be using multiple panormas focus on getting one up at a time and cut off / the other.

Also note try using different midi cables nothing might be wrong with the cable, but ive found swapping or exchanging the cables with the unit usually makes the issue go away.

I also know for fact that anyone who has this issue would try anything that would fix for example if i said jump in the air and clap 5 times ud try it.

But the cable swap is legit...back to business

After you delete drivers you dont have to but id recommend just restart the computer with p4/p6 off and p1 disconnected.

After restart boot reason with panorama off or disconnected go back in to control surfaces turn on /connect panorama and hit the auto detect surfaces button

You should get the green check.

If you have 2 panoramas you would cut off the one you connected and do the process again with the 2nd unit and both should work.

Hopefully that helps. Ive been where youve been at so trust me i understand. I wish there was more info into why this happens and how to avoid it....but im unaware of such information.

The troubleshooting process is key and ive had to troubleshoot this issue a few times this year using P1 and P4.

Let me know how it goes. Ill also add wiping the panorama memory wont help resolving this issue its a driver thing and sometimes the driver gets out of whack so you have to resync it.

Good luck!

Maxsu

18 Sep 2020

okaino wrote:
08 Sep 2020
Im on a mac using reason 10 and in the last 2-3 months ive ran into the issue. Right now *knocks on cyber wood* i dont have the issue but it seems like when you have the issue its unrelenting and very frustrating.

The issue hasnt logically made sense to me either.

What i can recommend is manually delete the drivers also delete the control surface settings in reason.

Also note If you happen to be using multiple panormas focus on getting one up at a time and cut off / the other.

Also note try using different midi cables nothing might be wrong with the cable, but ive found swapping or exchanging the cables with the unit usually makes the issue go away.

I also know for fact that anyone who has this issue would try anything that would fix for example if i said jump in the air and clap 5 times ud try it.

But the cable swap is legit...back to business

After you delete drivers you dont have to but id recommend just restart the computer with p4/p6 off and p1 disconnected.

After restart boot reason with panorama off or disconnected go back in to control surfaces turn on /connect panorama and hit the auto detect surfaces button

You should get the green check.

If you have 2 panoramas you would cut off the one you connected and do the process again with the 2nd unit and both should work.

Hopefully that helps. Ive been where youve been at so trust me i understand. I wish there was more info into why this happens and how to avoid it....but im unaware of such information.

The troubleshooting process is key and ive had to troubleshoot this issue a few times this year using P1 and P4.

Let me know how it goes. Ill also add wiping the panorama memory wont help resolving this issue its a driver thing and sometimes the driver gets out of whack so you have to resync it.

Good luck!
I think it is important to write a message to both, Reason Studios and Nektar. I did so and the support from Reason Studios wrote back after 1 day I think. Nektar didn´t and I wrote my message at the end of august.

Info to my post above, it didn´t solved my problem and it happens again when I start my project file, I am working on. Directly after the project opens up. The Error came back after I clicked on a automation from a VST Plugin and since than, it happens always in this project file.

Maxsu

08 Dec 2020

Now, I am on Win10 and Reason cannot find the P1 Controller, Uninstalled and installed a few times but no success. Reason only found the mixer mode in the Controller Preferences. I am sad, thought that the Controller will let me feel the production more because of the really cool controll mechanics with Reason but now most of the time it is not working... this is a really cool controller but I wouldn´t buy it in this state anymore....

are there alternatives beside the p6?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2020

Maxsu wrote:
08 Dec 2020
Now, I am on Win10 and Reason cannot find the P1 Controller, Uninstalled and installed a few times but no success. Reason only found the mixer mode in the Controller Preferences. I am sad, thought that the Controller will let me feel the production more because of the really cool controll mechanics with Reason but now most of the time it is not working... this is a really cool controller but I wouldn´t buy it in this state anymore....

are there alternatives beside the p6?
I run a P1, P4, T6 and Impact and I had no issues when I upgraded to Reason 11 suite however I did copy over my old preference file so I did not have to set anything up again (and it also used my old template file that had my mixer mode locked)

What firmware are you running? (click on Internal, then hold both the X1 and X2 buttons (the first 2 buttons below the display) to show you).
I'm using 01.14.03

Maxsu

08 Dec 2020

I run the same Firmware and followed everything how it is described in the manuel. I did not use the P1 long and I think after an R11 Update it began.

I ran R11 on a Win7 Setup and had "only" the Problem that the message appears after some time "P1 did not respond properly" but now with Win10 it won´t even find the two devices when I install all how it is said in the manuel and search for devices in preferences in the Reason Suite.

In our Studio we have a P6 and no Prob at all with R11 and Win7... no idea why this is happening.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2020

Maxsu wrote:
08 Dec 2020
I run the same Firmware and followed everything how it is described in the manuel. I did not use the P1 long and I think after an R11 Update it began.

I ran R11 on a Win7 Setup and had "only" the Problem that the message appears after some time "P1 did not respond properly" but now with Win10 it won´t even find the two devices when I install all how it is said in the manuel and search for devices in preferences in the Reason Suite.

In our Studio we have a P6 and no Prob at all with R11 and Win7... no idea why this is happening.
Have you tried a different USB cable and a different USB port?

Maxsu

09 Dec 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
08 Dec 2020
Maxsu wrote:
08 Dec 2020

Have you tried a different USB cable and a different USB port?
I tried a few different USB Ports but not a different Cabel, good idea will check that out soon.
Maybe my P1 Controller has a malfunction, I didn´t think of that but, because so many running it without a problem, it could be.

electrofux

09 Dec 2020

Normally when a controller goes inactive the codec throws an error. When you go to the preferences section of Reason where you install the codecs, there should be a red sign in the codec field. When you click on it says something about the error.

Maxsu

05 Apr 2022

I thought I post my solution to this problem.

It was the cable and I could use it on W7 without problems. I am now on W10 but also no problems

I used this USB Cable (not that on the picture but with a "dämpfer" (I dont know the word in english)

https://www.thomann.de/at/udg_ultimate_ ... e_s2bl.htm

jam-s

05 Apr 2022

That's a cable with ferrite rings to suppress EMI. Looks like you have some kind of "noisy" environment there with respect to EMI. (LED) lights are quite often a possible source for interference.

Maxsu

06 Apr 2022

jam-s wrote:
05 Apr 2022
That's a cable with ferrite rings to suppress EMI. Looks like you have some kind of "noisy" environment there with respect to EMI. (LED) lights are quite often a possible source for interference.
Awesome conclusion I habe indeed LED Lichts for my desk to brighten up the Night hours of producing :)

Never thought of this could be the problem but it worked right after I used this cable.

okaino

07 Apr 2022

Delete the p1 profile in reason preferences unplug the p1 and then have reason automatically search for the drivers.

EnochLight

07 Apr 2022

okaino wrote:
07 Apr 2022
Delete the p1 profile in reason preferences unplug the p1 and then have reason automatically search for the drivers.
Their issue was a bum cable, not drivers.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information