Alternative Velocity for Specific Keys

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Nossa

02 Aug 2020

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but I have a issue with my M-Audio Oxygen 88 midi keyboard that is driving me nuts. One key (center Bb) is constantly on maximum velocity (however soft I play, it always plays the loudest) which essentially makes it impossible to play anything without getting a headache after a while. I'm using :reason: Reason 8, and I'm wondering if there is any way to adjust the velocity of specific keys live, as you're playing. Of course you can do this after your recording, but I'm using reason as my keyboard's soundboard, essentially, so it needs to be live. Maybe by the means of some feature I'm unaware of, or an addon / mod of some kind?

Any advice would be greatly appriciated, as it may save me hundreds of bucks in not having to invest in a new keyboard. ;)

(My keyboard also doesn't have any warrenty anymore, so no free repair)

Thanks again!

PhillipOrdonez

02 Aug 2020

Delta midi computer. Not sure it can run on Reason 8 though.

Nossa

02 Aug 2020

Doesn't seem like it. It asks me to upgrade if I try to purchase it. Thanks for the reply anyway!

PhillipOrdonez

02 Aug 2020

Nossa wrote:
02 Aug 2020
Doesn't seem like it. It asks me to upgrade if I try to purchase it. Thanks for the reply anyway!
No worries at all, sorry it didn't help. Welcome to the forum!

The_Real_DeanC2000

05 Aug 2020

Hello,
I had this same exact problem. Yes, if you are using Reason, Delta Midi Computer player is the solution. If you are using another DAW, you can use Max 8 by Cycling 74, which is kind of a more advanced Delta Computer. With Max 8, you have to set up a virtual midi connection, which can be a little bit tricky, but doable in the end.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Dean.

Mich01

05 Aug 2020

The issue as you discrice it, seems related to a hardware problem.
I think the 'velocity-rubber' under the specific key, is broken.
It is relaitvely easy to replace (low costs), but I don't know if you can do it by your self.

Greetzz Michel

DaveyG

05 Aug 2020

Rather than buy an RE to fix the hardware problem, you should maybe fix or replace the hardware. Even if you upgraded and bought Delta or something else you would still have one fixed velocity key on your keyboard - it would just be a lower velocity.

Billy+

05 Aug 2020

DaveyG wrote:
05 Aug 2020
Rather than buy an RE to fix the hardware problem, you should maybe fix or replace the hardware. Even if you upgraded and bought Delta or something else you would still have one fixed velocity key on your keyboard - it would just be a lower velocity.
Have to agree, it sounds like a hardware issue & new software really isn't the answer.

ljekio

05 Aug 2020

For Windows you can use MIDI-OX converter and play through it and virtual midi port.
There is an option to filter and transform midi data

Nossa

05 Aug 2020

The_Real_DeanC2000 wrote:
05 Aug 2020
Hello,
I had this same exact problem. Yes, if you are using Reason, Delta Midi Computer player is the solution. If you are using another DAW, you can use Max 8 by Cycling 74, which is kind of a more advanced Delta Computer. With Max 8, you have to set up a virtual midi connection, which can be a little bit tricky, but doable in the end.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Dean.
I'll definitely check that out! Thanks for the suggestion.

Nossa

05 Aug 2020

Mich01 wrote:
05 Aug 2020
The issue as you discrice it, seems related to a hardware problem.
I think the 'velocity-rubber' under the specific key, is broken.
It is relaitvely easy to replace (low costs), but I don't know if you can do it by your self.

Greetzz Michel
Yeah, my exact thought as well. I did open up my Oxygen 88, and you can clearly see the velocity-rubber on the outmost keys, but getting to the key which is the problem (middle Bb) is virtually impossible, sadly. Maybe I'll try again. Even if it breaks then so be it. Thanks for the confirmation anyways.

Nossa

05 Aug 2020

DaveyG wrote:
05 Aug 2020
Yeah, I thought that too. I almost upgraded my Reason 8 to 10, but got the thought that the problem would not 'actually' be fixed, I can just reduce its annoyance. And since I primarily use Reason to play midi keyboard throught and record piano, it's probably not the best investment for me. Thanks for the comment.

Nossa

05 Aug 2020

ljekio wrote:
05 Aug 2020
For Windows you can use MIDI-OX converter and play through it and virtual midi port.
There is an option to filter and transform midi data
I'll check that out too! Thanks.

Nossa

11 Aug 2020

SOLUTION SOLUTION

I don't know if updates are a thing on this forum, but for the off-chance that someone stumbles upon this post and has the same problem I described earlier, this video showcased exactly what was my problem and how to fix it:

Quick summary: The sensetivity rubber which determines the veolcity of the note was broken on the key which didn't work. By simply cutting off a part of 4-5 rubber parts (around the faulty one) and replacing that with some rubber parts further up the keyboard (on rarely used keys), one can "move the problem". This is, of course, unless you have your hands on new sensetivity rubber parts, which I was unable to find. Make sure that that the rubber parts you cut off from one part of the keyboard fits the other part; the holes in which it is secured to the electical board are different at different parts!

Also removing the keys is a bit tricky if you've never done it. Essentially you press down in the little opening at the top of the key and then press forward (towards the side of the keybard you'd be seated if you were playing) and then press upwards on the key simultaneously, to detach it.

Thanks for all of your suggestions anyway. Cheers.

• Information