Is VST3 so hard to implement?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
antic604
Posts: 163
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 31 Jul 2020

MrFigg wrote:
30 Jul 2020
I really have to ask. I don’t know so much about these things but there’s so many plugins coming out these days without VST2 counterparts this emission is starting to get annoying. Is it technical? Is it money? Is it just lack of effort? I guess this is in many feature request threads but what’s the story? Anybody tell me? Thanks.
It's a matter of making priorities. How many plugins are VST3 only? 1%? 2%? I bet it's well below 5%. I don't think I own any plugin that's exclusively VST3 and I have 150+, incl. most 'big' ones. MIDI VST is more important. Track folders are much more important. Track freezing is much more important. High-DPI support is much more importnat. Heck, even MPE is probably more important.

Look at it this way - with v9.5 they've opened Reason to 90%+ of plugins available out there. It's time to fix other shit, rather than chase the remaining 10% :)

And BTW, if you REALLY need that one VST3 there are always wrappers, like:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/
https://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst- ... x-wrapper/
Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 4769
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 31 Jul 2020

antic604 wrote:
31 Jul 2020
MrFigg wrote:
30 Jul 2020
I really have to ask. I don’t know so much about these things but there’s so many plugins coming out these days without VST2 counterparts this emission is starting to get annoying. Is it technical? Is it money? Is it just lack of effort? I guess this is in many feature request threads but what’s the story? Anybody tell me? Thanks.
It's a matter of making priorities. How many plugins are VST3 only? 1%? 2%? I bet it's well below 5%. I don't think I own any plugin that's exclusively VST3 and I have 150+, incl. most 'big' ones. MIDI VST is more important. Track folders are much more important. Track freezing is much more important. High-DPI support is much more importnat. Heck, even MPE is probably more important.

Look at it this way - with v9.5 they've opened Reason to 90%+ of plugins available out there. It's time to fix other shit, rather than chase the remaining 10% :)

And BTW, if you REALLY need that one VST3 there are always wrappers, like:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/
https://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst- ... x-wrapper/
I don’t need VST3. Not really. It’s more just that I have no idea why if VST2 is there they don’t just bang in a line of code to allow VST3 as well hahahahaha. I’m assuming it’s not as easy as that though. Whole question came up because the latest Glitchmachines device is VST3.

To be honest I’d be happier with being able to load 32bit VSTs as there’s some really nice looking free ones jumping about. I mentioned the Wusik bridge above...any experience with bridging from 32 to 64bit?
丰2ॐ

DaveyG
Posts: 491
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 31 Jul 2020

antic604 wrote:
31 Jul 2020
I don't think I own any plugin that's exclusively VST3
Except RRP <cough, cough> :D

User avatar
Skimrok
Posts: 311
Joined: 12 Jun 2018
Location: U.K.

Post 31 Jul 2020

My view

they may go bust and end of Reason Studios , then VST3 will seem like nothing :lol: and no more posts on ReasonTalk :shock:
Reason 11 Suite :reason: Akai MPK Mini Mk2 / Nektar LX25+ / MPD218 /Focal Alpha 80 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 4769
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 31 Jul 2020

Skimrok wrote:
31 Jul 2020
My view

they may go bust and end of Reason Studios , then VST3 will seem like nothing :lol: and no more posts on ReasonTalk :shock:
Nah man, we'll still all be here crying on to our keyboards.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
Skimrok
Posts: 311
Joined: 12 Jun 2018
Location: U.K.

Post 31 Jul 2020

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2020
Skimrok wrote:
31 Jul 2020
My view

they may go bust and end of Reason Studios , then VST3 will seem like nothing :lol: and no more posts on ReasonTalk :shock:
Nah man, we'll still all be here crying on to our keyboards.
:thumbs_up: he!he!
I got to say it does seem strange why they haven't done VST3 support , I read somewhere or it was a video, you can use bluecat patchwork in reason as a VST3 host and put VST3s into that , I was intrigued with the workaround if needed
Reason 11 Suite :reason: Akai MPK Mini Mk2 / Nektar LX25+ / MPD218 /Focal Alpha 80 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 163
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 31 Jul 2020

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2020
...It’s more just that I have no idea why if VST2 is there they don’t just bang in a line of code to allow VST3 as well hahahahaha. I’m assuming it’s not as easy as that though....
Well, Ableton had MIDI and VSTs since like 2004 and they've only added VST3 this year with 10.1. So I'd assume it's a pretty complex line of code ;)
Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 163
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 31 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
31 Jul 2020
antic604 wrote:
31 Jul 2020
I don't think I own any plugin that's exclusively VST3
Except RRP <cough, cough> :D
You're not wrong! :oops:
Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 7168
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 31 Jul 2020

The VST3 SDK was just updated to include ARM support and MIDI 2.0 support.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1681
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 31 Jul 2020

Image

Anyone waiting for VST3 on 4K Reason Linux Occulus Edition?

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 2500
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 31 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
31 Jul 2020
QVprod wrote:
30 Jul 2020
Actually from what I understand...
You understanding is wrong. Sorry.
:puf_smile:
MYTH: Now that VST3 is taking over, VST 2.4 plug-ins will become obsolete.

Any host is free to continue supporting VST 2.4 and/or VST3 (fig. 2). If a program supported your VST 2.4 plug-ins, it will continue to do so unless the manufacturer specifically removes VST 2.4 support.

Eventually, developers may stop releasing VST 2.4 plug-ins once VST3 has taken over most of the world. Until then, you’re fine — if you want a precedent, note that many Windows programs still support the zombie DirectX format, because there’s no deal-breaker reason not to support it.
Source: https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/vst-2 ... es-you-do/

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], retreed and 6 guests