Step mode like Cubase?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Bman70

18 Jul 2020

:shock: I hope I can mention another DAW... but it has COOL stuff in it. :lol: . Anyway I keep seeing videos of people using Cubase and they open a MIDI dialogue, and they can record by just playing the notes on the keyboard, but at whatever speed they want to. The playhead isn't moving as in traditional recording, but the notes get entered in sequential order, as 8th or whatever notes. It's really helpful if you have a difficult passage to play, since you're not stuck keeping up with a click. Mouse-clicking notes in pales in comparison, and is exponentially slower as well.

buddard
RE Developer

18 Jul 2020

This mode doesn’t exist in Reason, and it’s something I really missed when I switched from Cubase to Reason.
That’s why we created the Rack Extension Sequences (and its predecessor Step Note Recorder).
In Sequences, you can step record up,to 32 steps at a time, and then easily bounce it to Reason’s sequencer by clicking “Send to track”.

Bman70

18 Jul 2020

buddard wrote:
18 Jul 2020
This mode doesn’t exist in Reason, and it’s something I really missed when I switched from Cubase to Reason.
That’s why we created the Rack Extension Sequences (and its predecessor Step Note Recorder).
In Sequences, you can step record up,to 32 steps at a time, and then easily bounce it to Reason’s sequencer by clicking “Send to track”.
That looks super excellent.. but ouch! I only have Reason Intro, is there a Lite version? :lol: Any other bare bones vst plugins? Otherwise I'll keep an eye out for the next RE 50% sale.

DaveyG

18 Jul 2020

Bman70 wrote:
18 Jul 2020
buddard wrote:
18 Jul 2020
That looks super excellent.. but ouch! I only have Reason Intro, is there a Lite version? :lol: Any other bare bones vst plugins? Otherwise I'll keep an eye out for the next RE 50% sale.
Use the Reason Rack in a DAW that does have step sequencing, which is pretty much all of them. Lots of low cost options and Cakewalk by Bandlab is free if you create a (free) Bandlab account.

kinkujin

19 Jul 2020

Or, if you’re really liking the Reason DAW, look for an old version on eBay or Reverb. Then upgrade that version for a good price.

jlgrimes

19 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
18 Jul 2020
Bman70 wrote:
18 Jul 2020

Use the Reason Rack in a DAW that does have step sequencing, which is pretty much all of them. Lots of low cost options and Cakewalk by Bandlab is free if you create a (free) Bandlab account.
I think Reaper has this as well.

• Information