Reason Using 6.5 GB of local appdata?!?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
GRIFTY

17 Jul 2020

Why on earth does reason need to use so much app data? It's like 1,500 files worth of random hash BS files like: 42c17437-4b37-40f5-82e2-dd9a5377d016.cachemanager

Can I dump this folder?

EDIT: wow, it's using another 6.2 GB in the roaming folder. Wtf does reason need so much appdata cache for?! I mean I'm 60% sure it would be safe to delete it all right?

napynap

17 Jul 2020

Good question! IDK.
Mine are 13 GB and 19 GB respectively, good lord! ...but I'm not deleting any of it.
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

MarkTarlton

17 Jul 2020

you can delete it, I had like 18gb once, and I was glad to free up the space.

napynap

18 Jul 2020

For those not too techy, GRIFTY is refering to these folders on your Windows 10 drive (or similar):
(In file explorer, you may have to select View, then check the boxes for 'File name extensions', and 'Hidden items')

This PC-> Local Disk (C:) -> Users -> (Your username) -> .AppData -> Local -> Propellerhead Software -> Reason

This PC-> Local Disk (C:) -> Users -> (Your username) -> .AppData -> Roaming -> Propellerhead Software
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

Loque

18 Jul 2020

Isnt this the RE installation folder?
Reason12, Win10

GRIFTY

18 Jul 2020

No, that's program files. This is an invisible folder where apps often store cached files. Although reason by far uses more than any other program I run, in the order of like 6x as much

Yonatan

18 Jul 2020

Is it the same issue on Mac? Better look next time.

chaosroyale

18 Jul 2020

Yup, just another example that the devs don't actually use Reason. Stupid little things like this could be fixed instantly simply by "polite" file-organizing practices such as cleanup of old cache files on closing.
GRIFTY wrote:
18 Jul 2020
No, that's program files. This is an invisible folder where apps often store cached files. Although reason by far uses more than any other program I run, in the order of like 6x as much

GRIFTY

19 Jul 2020

it'd probably be fine to delete both folders right?

GRIFTY

20 Jul 2020

I'm pretty sure the roaming stuff is RE's. I deleted the local cache folders though & reason seems to be working just fine

RoryM0

20 Jul 2020

OMG i just checked mine at C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason\*username*_694538303 and it is 19.8Gbs!!! Can I really delete this folder? That is crazy, why so much needless junk filling up precious C: drive space?

mcatalao
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2020

RoryM0 wrote:
20 Jul 2020
OMG i just checked mine at C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason\*username*_694538303 and it is 19.8Gbs!!! Can I really delete this folder? That is crazy, why so much needless junk filling up precious C: drive space?
It's not needless stuff. This is data reason uses to for non-destructive audio manipulation. Most of the things you do on an audio track are non destructive, and reason records all of this in the file as metadata. For example, you timestretch a file, it gets recorderd as q' points in the file. In order to not keep calculating this each time and hog the cpu and memory, reason calculates once when you open your file or make the change, and then saves the recalculated file it to the scratch folder.

You can delete the scratch folder, if you're in need of space. It is secure, but the next time you open a new file for the first time after cleaning the scratch folder, chances are that if you have one or more of the audio tracks altered, reason will start calculating stuff and recording the data there.

So while first I thought, just like you, it would be good to delete this, the fact is that if you're working on a set of files, this calculated data is worth to be there for faster project loading. IMHO the thing people should do is get a good sized (512+) fast SSD for their projects, and pull the scratch folder into this ssd. Also, reason loads up to 20 GB and keeps this until needs to open a file that doesn't have it's things calculated. It then deletes the files that are older, saves the calculated data of this file. It's lke a longer queued audio cashe for faster loading of projects. With this, files are smaller (you almost never commit audio).

While the re's installation and other stuff is not movable (well, you do can move them with some fiddling with symlinks), reason allows you to select the scratch pad folder.

Good Luck.

RoryM0

20 Jul 2020

mcatalao wrote:
20 Jul 2020
RoryM0 wrote:
20 Jul 2020
It's not needless stuff. This is data reason uses to for non-destructive audio manipulation. Most of the things you do on an audio track are non destructive, and reason records all of this in the file as metadata. For example, you timestretch a file, it gets recorderd as q' points in the file. In order to not keep calculating this each time and hog the cpu and memory, reason calculates once when you open your file or make the change, and then saves the recalculated file it to the scratch folder.

You can delete the scratch folder, if you're in need of space. It is secure, but the next time you open a new file for the first time after cleaning the scratch folder, chances are that if you have one or more of the audio tracks altered, reason will start calculating stuff and recording the data there.

So while first I thought, just like you, it would be good to delete this, the fact is that if you're working on a set of files, this calculated data is worth to be there for faster project loading. IMHO the thing people should do is get a good sized (512+) fast SSD for their projects, and pull the scratch folder into this ssd. Also, reason loads up to 20 GB and keeps this until needs to open a file that doesn't have it's things calculated. It then deletes the files that are older, saves the calculated data of this file. It's lke a longer queued audio cashe for faster loading of projects. With this, files are smaller (you almost never commit audio).

While the re's installation and other stuff is not movable (well, you do can move them with some fiddling with symlinks), reason allows you to select the scratch pad folder.

Good Luck.
Hey thanks that's good info to know. Appreciate you taking the time to explain it :puf_smile: I will look into possibly shifting that folder then.

Re8et
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2022

I have just finished updating my Rack Extensions. W10 informed me my disk space is full...
OK....

I created an extended partition on one of my disks and moved everything I could on the new partition.
W10 does not allows me to move APPDATA (Hidden) folder.

Here is APP DATA. 15gb. of Reason Propellerhead stuff.
How can I move this without breaking Reason?
RSN APP DATA FOLDER.JPG
RSN APP DATA FOLDER.JPG (188.64 KiB) Viewed 2297 times

Re8et
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2022

Loque wrote:
18 Jul 2020
Loque, do you have any idea how to create a ghost link to trick Reason the files he needs are still there in the hidden appdata folder,
whilst we can use the ghostlink to move all the content to a new partition? W10 does not allows to move appdata in the extended
files functionality... the ghostlink must works also when Reason is saving into the old location, updating, everything....
It's a hardstyle coding challenge I'm not sure I can take... I could try but I could try in vein for weeks... maybe I can get some
useful information where I could look for creating such a ghostlink that you or some other goat coders can suggest....?? :oops: :reason:
ty...

Maybe if I uninstall everything (Rsn 11 Suite and 12) and then Reinstall in the new extended program location that W10 allows me to use,
it may also move the whole Appdata folders to the new extended HD??? Scrap Program itself is only 0.5Gb vs the 60Gb of total space spread all around.... (half My M2 main W10 drive)... if only it could be possible to aggregate all those files under Program files....
Last edited by Re8et on 19 Aug 2022, edited 2 times in total.

Re8et
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2022

Loque wrote:
18 Jul 2020
This is the RE folder. Whole Roaming is 32 Gb. The High Res thing is getting out of hard....
RE.JPG
RE.JPG (195.43 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
Last edited by Re8et on 19 Aug 2022, edited 1 time in total.

jam-s

19 Aug 2022

I would advice against symlinking the whole AppData folder, but you can use this guide to create a symlink for the big RE folder under AppData: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/c ... -or-linux/

Re8et
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2022

I had made the Junction link but upon re-launching reason, it recreates the RE folder, empty....
I will try again, tnx for all the links. I used the GUI shell for making the links.
sym j.JPG
sym j.JPG (68.86 KiB) Viewed 2223 times

It worked with the CMD! All RE's present! Ty a lot. (I renamed RackExtensions_old before running CMD)
new J cmd.JPG
new J cmd.JPG (163.3 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
Got my M2 space back!!
Ty!
38gb free.JPG
38gb free.JPG (20.79 KiB) Viewed 2216 times

StephenHutchinson

19 Aug 2022

Re8et wrote:
19 Aug 2022
Loque wrote:
18 Jul 2020
This is the RE folder. Whole Roaming is 32 Gb. The High Res thing is getting out of hard....

RE.JPG
On both my Windows PC, and on my Mac, my REs are the same size at 51 GB of REs... woah!
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

Re8et
Competition Winner

21 Aug 2022

StephenHutchinson wrote:
19 Aug 2022
Re8et wrote:
19 Aug 2022

RE.JPG
On both my Windows PC, and on my Mac, my REs are the same size at 51 GB of REs... woah!
I'm worried about my MAC... It's 250 Gb main SD, and have no idea if symlinks works on Mac...

jam-s

21 Aug 2022

Re8et wrote:
21 Aug 2022

I'm worried about my MAC... It's 250 Gb main SD, and have no idea if symlinks works on Mac...
If I remember correctly they don't work on Macs.

kitekrazy

21 Aug 2022

jam-s wrote:
19 Aug 2022
I would advice against symlinking the whole AppData folder, but you can use this guide to create a symlink for the big RE folder under AppData: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/c ... -or-linux/
I don't want to mess with this. This where Reason is unique in a bad way. This should be a feature request.

Instead of trying to mess with the above I don't buy sampled based REs.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Aug 2022

Appreciating the zombie resurrection of this thread is regarding REs, just to go back a little more OT and just considering the scratch disk aspect (since that involves a large amount of read/write, whereas at least REs, once installed, won't be rewriting large amounts), I just checked my cache out of curiosity as I'd not done so for a while, as I use an HDD to run the scratch disk, not the boot/OS SDD. (SSDs are arguably not really well-suited to lots of large writes, at least with consumer-quality SSDs: as mcatalao notes in his post from 2020, that if you're using SSDs for hoping for improved performance, use a cheapish extra drive dedicated to hammer time).

Turns out at some point in August last year Reason—presumably an R12 install—unknown to me it arbitrarily decided the settings I set aren't the setttings it wanted to me to use so it reset the scratchdisk folder back to Default on C:/user/etc without my knowledge and, yup, 19GB of data of unwanted scratchdisk data my on goddamn boot SSD. Opening up Prefs and selecting Folders/Scratch Disk to reselect the correct H:/ target , the folder selection browser still remembered and defaulted to the last position I set over on Drive H, so that link was still stored somewhere. :rolleyes:

It happened in another program I daily drive, One Commander, last week, and that's a fucking pig of a program to get certain aspects back to the way one wants. It's frustrating when one sets settings then devs think that updates should reset set settings to settings they think you should have set.

• Information