Reason Studios recruit Beta Testers!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 958
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 17 Jul 2020

ok, I'm in!

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 1370
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jul 2020

dannyF wrote:
17 Jul 2020
"folder tracks in sequencer" since 2007.
How is this a bug, lol? You know there’s a feature request forum. 😂

Yonatan
Posts: 1213
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jul 2020

I welcome this. It shows RS have intentions to have a more continously update cycle. Then if this is connected to some subscription model or whatever, that makes R12 never arrive, well, as long as they want to bring Reason forward, I am in.

User avatar
vectro
Posts: 44
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 18 Jul 2020

Billy wrote:
17 Jul 2020
if testing is the primary goal then the test environment needs to have access to all/any "bug" prerequisites
Why? I don't all Max devices in the world for testing Ableton Live. I don't need all Steinberg VSTs for testing Cubase. I don't need Rack Extensions for testing Reason.
If you own REs, then they will work with beta versions.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6383
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 18 Jul 2020

Billy wrote:
17 Jul 2020
Seriously?

The only response that I would question is answer (5) if testing is the primary goal then the test environment needs to have access to all/any "bug" prerequisites, as such it would make sense that the beta version has full access to unrestricted rack extensions or at least mandatory resets on trails every 30 days.

Are you part of the reasonstudio team/group enochlight?
I’ve participated in almost every public beta since 2.0, and this is how it’s generally done, so it’s unlikely they’ll stop any of 1-4. As for 5, that’s not realistic. They can’t possibly give you access to any/all RE’s, as they would have to buy the licenses from all RE devs for all of the beta testers. It’s just not financially feasible. That said, in past betas you’ve been able to use any RE’s you *OWN* to test, which is why they generally want a large pool of testers.

The thing about RE’s and the RE SDK is that most RE’s usually work fine in new versions of Reason with little issue. Sure, they’re occasional bugs that pop up, but that’s why you use a bunch of beta testers.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
jappe
Moderator
Posts: 2272
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jul 2020

Sounds like continuous delivery, a good thing, I'm in!

User avatar
Kalm
Posts: 460
Joined: 03 Jun 2016
Location: Austin

Post 18 Jul 2020

As much as I have my own sentiments with Reason Studios, I guess I'll give it a whirl.

I want to see if RS will ACTUALLY turn around a community they've been silent about. Plus Enlightspeed has a point. This may cause me to use my laptop for some production work testing out different things and combinations. Bounce audio and work like analog.

Also, if they are genuine about making a stable release then I'm game. I'm currently having some annoyances with bugs from another company and how things get handled. I don't want RS to go down that path in my eyes.

Reason hasn't been faulty for me in this area so I can't really have a negative response to this. My computer is 99% scotch free with Reason. Therefore I've signed up.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 8 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 4 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Boog Model D | Follow me on Instagram

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 1375
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 18 Jul 2020

Yonatan wrote:
18 Jul 2020
I welcome this. It shows RS have intentions to have a more continously update cycle. Then if this is connected to some subscription model or whatever, that makes R12 never arrive, well, as long as they want to bring Reason forward, I am in.
I hope you're wrong about the subscription thing. That really grinds my gears 😑

Billy
Posts: 420
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 18 Jul 2020

The main reason for (5) is replication of any issue, if someone reports an issue while using a particular devices any tester using a different configuration would still need the device.

I guess in general testers would be testing the main daw not rack extension as that would primarily be the developers job, but would at least allow more tester to conduct a test.
:ignition: :reason: :refill: :re: :rebirth: :PUF_figure: :nektar: :mac: :EiEPro: :Alesis Mk2:

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6383
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 18 Jul 2020

Billy wrote:
18 Jul 2020
The main reason for (5) is replication of any issue, if someone reports an issue while using a particular devices any tester using a different configuration would still need the device.

I guess in general testers would be testing the main daw not rack extension as that would primarily be the developers job, but would at least allow more tester to conduct a test.
I understand that logic, but the fact of the matter is: Rack Extensions and the RE SDK's whole point was to allow very easy Reason version updates without having to test every RE in the shop, and for the most part - it usually works as intended. Yes, occasionally a bug slips through for a random RE, but it's often not a show stopper and certainly not a high risk that would require Reason Studios to test every single RE in the shop. There's literally hundreds of devs and almost 500 Rack Extensions in the shop. You think people signing up for any beta are going to test all of them? IMHO, that approach is just not a feasible program to manage.

I honestly think it's going to be hard enough to get active testers motivated to keep testing regular Reason DAW and RRP for a perpetual on-going "always in beta" program. Reason Studios throwing in unlimited access to every RE in the shop would be simply unmanageable.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
Rick75
Posts: 23
Joined: 05 Jan 2016

Post 18 Jul 2020

MrFigg wrote:
17 Jul 2020
Personally I’d rather spend my evenings and weekends with my kids than working free of charge beta testing Reason for RS.
I, along with many, have sent bug reports on Props products over and over without any results so...well, there you have it.
That’s how I feel about it but of course others may feel differently. They’re not doing us any favors though. That I’m sure of.
Totally agree with this sentiment.
Sent bug report to Props years ago regarding a bug that would take minutes to fix. No action. Follow up mails exchanged months later. Still nothing so I'm in no rush to invest my time for a company that couldn't be bothered when I last tried to help their QA.

Billy
Posts: 420
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 19 Jul 2020

EnochLight wrote:
18 Jul 2020

I honestly think it's going to be hard enough to get active testers motivated to keep testing regular Reason DAW and RRP for a perpetual on-going "always in beta" program.
After looking through previous posts I'm thinking your point is probably going to be the biggest stumbling block for the program, there seems to be a lot of unhappy reason owners who have had enough of reporting bugs only to be ignored.
:ignition: :reason: :refill: :re: :rebirth: :PUF_figure: :nektar: :mac: :EiEPro: :Alesis Mk2:

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2547
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 19 Jul 2020

so if this is a continuous thing, and RS’ aim is to regularly update Reason, I guess this will be a good thread to point to whenever someone says Reason is dead, or RS is inevitably going to be dissolved after ranting about some weird conspiracy theory. 😆

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6383
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 19 Jul 2020

Billy wrote:
19 Jul 2020
After looking through previous posts I'm thinking your point is probably going to be the biggest stumbling block for the program, there seems to be a lot of unhappy reason owners who have had enough of reporting bugs only to be ignored.
Yeah, they really should address that.
guitfnky wrote:
19 Jul 2020
so if this is a continuous thing, and RS’ aim is to regularly update Reason, I guess this will be a good thread to point to whenever someone says Reason is dead, or RS is inevitably going to be dissolved after ranting about some weird conspiracy theory. 😆
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

jaeproduced
Posts: 38
Joined: 29 Apr 2020

Post 19 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
19 Jul 2020
so if this is a continuous thing, and RS’ aim is to regularly update Reason, I guess this will be a good thread to point to whenever someone says Reason is dead, or RS is inevitably going to be dissolved after ranting about some weird conspiracy theory. 😆
I truly hope that is the case adapt or die looks like they finally realized that idea....

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 1725
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 19 Jul 2020

Well, maybe our complaints of lack of feedback and no user interaction is somewhat behind this. If so, a step in the right direction.

But as I said before, reporting bugs that are kind of major, and they say nothing, do nothing, and they are still there after 18mo. Yeah, it makes you have minimal interest in doing anything more.

So if this again is them wanting me to spend a $1000 of my time to investigate and report bugs only to be told to buy an upgrade for $129 that have some of them fixed, then my interest is a few degrees below lukewarm.

Think I rather ride my bike under the Californian sun instead...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Yonatan
Posts: 1213
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 20 Jul 2020

So what is the benefit for a beta tester in this?

I can recall one being that one get to "try out" new functions and things right away and thus get a feeling of the direction (and hopefully get some trust in the advancements), even if not being allowed to talk about it ( will this forum become a bit more silent? :)

Other than that, someone mentioned the amount of possible song starters may increase, and for some that might be a motivation.

But it don´t seem to include any extra for testers, at least what we now know of.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5236
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 20 Jul 2020

Yonatan wrote:
20 Jul 2020
So what is the benefit for a beta tester in this?

I can recall one being that one get to "try out" new functions and things right away and thus get a feeling of the direction (and hopefully get some trust in the advancements), even if not being allowed to talk about it ( will this forum become a bit more silent? :)

Other than that, someone mentioned the amount of possible song starters may increase, and for some that might be a motivation.

But it don´t seem to include any extra for testers, at least what we now know of.
Never has been, never will be. They'll take your money. They'll take your time. All hail the Grand Imp.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6383
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 20 Jul 2020

Yonatan wrote:
20 Jul 2020
So what is the benefit for a beta tester in this?

I can recall one being that one get to "try out" new functions and things right away and thus get a feeling of the direction (and hopefully get some trust in the advancements), even if not being allowed to talk about it ( will this forum become a bit more silent? :)

Other than that, someone mentioned the amount of possible song starters may increase, and for some that might be a motivation.
Right, all of the above is pretty much the only "benefit". If you don't see any value in the above, then it's best to not waste your or their time.
Yonatan wrote:
20 Jul 2020
But it don´t seem to include any extra for testers, at least what we now know of.
Programs like these almost never have any extras for testers.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

DaveyG
Posts: 540
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 20 Jul 2020

MrFigg wrote:
20 Jul 2020
They'll take your money. They'll take your time. All hail the Grand Imp.
At least they won't take your sanity. That's why I wear this tin foil hat.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5236
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 20 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
20 Jul 2020
MrFigg wrote:
20 Jul 2020
They'll take your money. They'll take your time. All hail the Grand Imp.
At least they won't take your sanity. That's why I wear this tin foil hat.
They certainly would if they could.
I think the ticket closing thing was an attempt.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6383
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 20 Jul 2020

MrFigg wrote:
20 Jul 2020
They certainly would if they could.
I think the ticket closing thing was an attempt.
Is it possible to comment on your once open ticket to open it again? Or were they locked?
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5236
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 20 Jul 2020

EnochLight wrote:
20 Jul 2020
MrFigg wrote:
20 Jul 2020
They certainly would if they could.
I think the ticket closing thing was an attempt.
Is it possible to comment on your once open ticket to open it again? Or were they locked?
I commented a couple of times to reopen it.
RS, RS so good they closed it twice
丰2ॐ

Popey
Posts: 256
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 21 Jul 2020

I just use rrp now but I have joined the beta as I am interested in where reason is heading and be good to use standalone for creative purposes whilst testing. Who knows what they plan to implement and maybe new developments bring me back to fully creating in reason (cough cough, track freeze, sequencer improvements). Still got a soft spot for reason despite recent changes/actions being disappointing so would like them to do well.

User avatar
tiker01
Moderator
Posts: 1297
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jul 2020

Popey wrote:
21 Jul 2020
I just use rrp now but I have joined the beta as I am interested in where reason is heading and be good to use standalone for creative purposes whilst testing. Who knows what they plan to implement and maybe new developments bring me back to fully creating in reason (cough cough, track freeze, sequencer improvements). Still got a soft spot for reason despite recent changes/actions being disappointing so would like them to do well.
I am pretty sure any developments done on the RRP will be out for testing as well.
    
Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest