When is the next update?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
exxx

15 Jul 2020

When is the next update?

Now the transition to a plug-in instrument is complete and we really need to come up with something for daw users.

It is time for new information.

deeplink
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2020

My money is on towards the end of April 2021, as covid may have slowed things down a bit
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Mike B

15 Jul 2020

Being mainly an FL Studio user, I can compare Reason’s slow update schedule compared to FL Studio.

Around August 2019, FL Studio released 20.5.1 and Reason released 11.

Today, Reason is at 11.2 and FL Studio is at 20.7.2 (currently in Beta).

All of this to say that we may expect 11.3 at the end of the year. And R12 a year from now, at earliest (being very optimistic).

I’m sorry to day the COVID excuse does not hold it’s place in DAW dev. FL Studio has been shining during covid and so is Studio One.

Reason is just very slow at releasing updates and probably because their focus is simply not on the DAW.

Biolumin3sc3nt

15 Jul 2020

Mike B wrote:
15 Jul 2020
Being mainly an FL Studio user, I can compare Reason’s slow update schedule compared to FL Studio.

Around August 2019, FL Studio released 20.5.1 and Reason released 11.

Today, Reason is at 11.2 and FL Studio is at 20.7.2 (currently in Beta).

All of this to say that we may expect 11.3 at the end of the year. And R12 a year from now, at earliest (being very optimistic).

I’m sorry to day the COVID excuse does not hold it’s place in DAW dev. FL Studio has been shining during covid and so is Studio One.

Reason is just very slow at releasing updates and probably because their focus is simply not on the DAW.

Reason has already been at 11.3 for a while now. I guess I'm from the future. Try the check for updates :D

NDKay

15 Jul 2020

exxx wrote:
15 Jul 2020
When is the next update?

Now the transition to a plug-in instrument is complete and we really need to come up with something for daw users.

Today !

Seems you got a "feeling" for that.... ;-)
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

Creativemind

15 Jul 2020

NDKay wrote:
15 Jul 2020
exxx wrote:
15 Jul 2020
When is the next update?

Today !

Seems you got a "feeling" for that.... ;-)
An incremental update. 11.4 or 5 say end of August?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

jaeproduced

15 Jul 2020

ReasonStudios needs to release a new Major update in the fall of this year 2020 to maintain relevance with it's user base. I appreciate the incremental updates throughout the year but alot of those updates leave you scratching your head thinking "is that it". And the days of releasing MAJOR updates every 2 to 3 years is Over with the change of CEO, Company Buyout & new staff they should be able to produce more timely updates or they will continue to be considered a minor player in the DAW market. Just think Ableton Live & Fruity Loops are both held in higher regards then Reason mainly because they are so behind with keeping the software updated with relevant features/functions. Wake Up Reasonstudios and get your head back in the game...
Last edited by jaeproduced on 15 Jul 2020, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

15 Jul 2020

jaeproduced wrote:
15 Jul 2020
ReasonStudios needs to release a new update in the fall of this year 2020 to maintain relevance with it's user base. The days of releasing updates every 2 to 3 years is Over and with the change of CEO, Company Buyout & new staff they should be able to produce more timely updates or they will become obsolete in the DAW market. Just think Ableton Live & Fruity Loops are both held in higher regards then Reason mainly because they are so behind with keeping the software updated with relevant features/functions. Wake Up Reasonstudios and get your head back in the game...
they’ve regularly put out point updates throughout each version cycle. one was released this morning, in fact.

and I doubt they’ll suddenly stop being relevant if they’re not constantly putting out updates. they put out a quality product, and unless that changes, people will stick with them.

it does have its weaknesses (lord knows I’ve said lots on that topic recently), but for all the weaknesses, it has a LOT of strengths.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

NDKay

15 Jul 2020

Creativemind wrote:
15 Jul 2020
An incremental update. 11.4 or 5 say end of August?
depends on what "incremental" means.... ;-)

of course there could be another point update until 12. But also could not - not counting more "debug" updates. And like in history, they are not going to " .5 " with every Major release. If they put the visual upgrade in the cycle of 11 i am very curious what they would come up with for 12!

We´ll see. And hope....like every time :lol:
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

fieldframe
RE Developer

15 Jul 2020

Estimating based on historical trends, Reason 12 will most likely come out late spring / early summer 2021. So that's still most of a year that Reason Studios has to keep selling Reason 11. Point updates are a reliable way to pull in customers who were on the fence about the current version, and no doubt RS has sold some upgrades to a good number of Logic and ProTools users with 11.1 and 11.3. But they have to keep going! I think an 11.4 within the next six months is almost guaranteed.

As a reminder, there have only been three .5 releases in Reason's history, and the two most recent were the introduction of Rack Extensions and VST, so it would have to be something pretty big to warrant an 11.5. Would hiDPI support count among those? If it really is a whole new 60fps hardware-accelerated rack, maybe! Otherwise, hiDPI would be 11.4, and it would almost certainly be the last version before 12.

It's possible that hiDPI won't come out until Reason 12. That would mean it took RS more than a year to develop, but maybe it really is that big of an undertaking. I'm looking forward to it either way!

stp2015

16 Jul 2020

If they come out with a good hi-res implementation as a point update to 11, I will get the suite upgrade immediately, even though we are already half way through the R11 cycle.

raymondh

17 Jul 2020

stp2015 wrote:
16 Jul 2020
If they come out with a good hi-res implementation as a point update to 11, I will get the suite upgrade immediately, even though we are already half way through the R11 cycle.
Same for me.

SebAudio

17 Jul 2020

raymondh wrote:
17 Jul 2020
stp2015 wrote:
16 Jul 2020
Same for me.
Same for me

Boombastix
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2020

New CEO + new owners, he should push out a new version for the Christmas sale season, or he wouldn't do his job right. RS may have 1/3 of the sales around that time and dropping the ball on it would probably not be acceptable with venture capitalists.

The reason why it wouldn't happen is because they are knee deep in bugs and a long development cycle of the Hi-Res thingy, that in it self will probably generate as many bugs as the buffer size fix + RRP combined.

I hope the head of development can survive this without Novalucol, must be tough though...
And I hope I'm wrong about the next bug storm too, but...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

jlgrimes

19 Jul 2020

exxx wrote:
15 Jul 2020
When is the next update?

Alot of updates are done in September from what I remember.

If it is in September, we would know by August 1st.

If they stop developing the DAW, I would guess they could update alot quicker as they dont seem to have much issues with releasing REs.

But that said they are probably having to redo the graphics (which could take some time).

stratatonic

19 Jul 2020

fieldframe wrote:
15 Jul 2020
Estimating based on historical trends, Reason 12 will most likely come out late spring / early summer 2021. So that's still most of a year that Reason Studios has to keep selling Reason 11. Point updates are a reliable way to pull in customers who were on the fence about the current version, and no doubt RS has sold some upgrades to a good number of Logic and ProTools users with 11.1 and 11.3. But they have to keep going! I think an 11.4 within the next six months is almost guaranteed.
I'd agree with your late spring / early summer 2021, considering that the Reason AAX plugin release just happened a couple of months ago. Having an upgrade in a couple more months (autumn 2020) for those buyers would be a real kick in the teeth. I don't think ReasonStudios would want to annoy any of those potential future RE buyers, imo.

• Information