Reason Rack Plugin (RRP) forum?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Should there be a Reason Rack Plugin forum?

Yes - as a subforum of Reason General
43%
Yes - as a main forum
43%
No
14%

Total votes: 49
joeyluck

14 Jul 2020

A request we have seen a good amount of is a forum specific for the RRP. There are some good points made for and some against. So, I thought I'd create a poll to see how people feel about it.

Some points made to consider:

For:
- Having a separate Reason Rack Plugin forum would be great for people who solely use the RRP. It would be less Reason standalone stuff to wade through, that is often irrelevant to the RRP.
- While the RRP and Reason standalone rack are similar, they have a good amount of differences (For instance the RRP has no mixer/mix channels, no Combinator needed to combine MIDI for instruments, MIDI drag and drop from Redrum, etc., no VST support, setting up Players as MIDI devices to control other VSTs, no insert effects, no master section, one rack column, etc.
- Often times RRP talk might be *80-90% about the DAW it's being used in (*not real statistics). So Reason standalone users can benefit that don't want to view RRP threads.

Against:
- There might be crossover of some topics. For instance, an RRP user might ask a question about using CV with Subtractor. We can do our best to manage this. It might not be that bad?
- There's enough forums already

As a response to the possible crossover, having it as a subforum of Reason General may help it feel more cohesive. It's also perhaps not a bad thing to have the context of what someone is using in case they are encountering a different behavior or bug when using the RRP in a certain DAW. So if someone posts in the RRP forum about an issue with Thor, we know off the bat that they are using Thor in the RRP...

So please vote and let us know your thoughts below! Any points to add to the list for or against?

Kalm

14 Jul 2020

joeyluck wrote:
14 Jul 2020

For:
- Having a separate Reason Rack Plugin forum would be great for people who solely use the RRP. It would be less Reason standalone stuff to wade through, that is often irrelevant to the RRP.
- While the RRP and Reason standalone rack are similar, they have a good amount of differences (For instance the RRP has no mixer/mix channels, no Combinator needed to combine instruments, MIDI drag and drop from Redrum, etc., no VST support, setting up Players as MIDI devices to control other VSTs, no insert effects, no master section, one rack column, etc.
- Often times RRP talk might be *80-90% about the DAW it's being used in (*not real statistics). So Reason standalone users can benefit that don't want to view RRP threads.
I only said main forum cause of the idea above. Theres no reason to look at Reason and the Rack Plugin as similar things. Those who come to the forum to look for support can go to threads strictly on their product. If it'll be a sub-forum, then its seen more so as a feature. RRP is it's own product with its own host of users and issues.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

joeyluck

14 Jul 2020

Kalm wrote:
14 Jul 2020
joeyluck wrote:
14 Jul 2020

For:
- While the RRP and Reason standalone rack are similar, they have a good amount of differences (For instance the RRP has no mixer/mix channels, no Combinator needed to combine instruments, MIDI drag and drop from Redrum, etc., no VST support, setting up Players as MIDI devices to control other VSTs, no insert effects, no master section, one rack column, etc.
I only said main forum cause of the idea above. Theres no reason to look at Reason and the Rack Plugin as similar things. Those who come to the forum to look for support can go to threads strictly on their product. If it'll be a sub-forum, then its seen more so as a feature. RRP is it's own product with its own host of users and issues.
Thanks for your thoughts on this. And if making the RRP its own forum, should we consider renaming Reason General? Maybe Reason Standalone or Reason DAW? Or should that remain Reason General?

We do have a few subforums here, but no forum has more than one subforum. I did find the option to make the subforums visible from the forum home, which is why I'm more open to subforums now. But not against the idea of it being its own forum. We can also always move things (from being a subforum to regular forum and vice versa).

Boombastix
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2020

Maybe just try a RRP forum and see how it goes. You can always merge it back into Reason General if it was a bad idea, yes?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Billy+

14 Jul 2020

I'm not sure what the advantage would be other than specific host support

joeyluck

14 Jul 2020

Boombastix wrote:
14 Jul 2020
Maybe just try a RRP forum and see how it goes. You can always merge it back into Reason General if it was a bad idea, yes?
Yes, but we still wanted to gauge interest and decide things as a community. Not too many votes yet, but it's looking like most would be in favor...
Billy wrote:
14 Jul 2020
I'm not sure what the advantage would be other than specific host support
There's a few things mentioned in the first post. It could benefit everybody having some organization, but largely benefit RRP users to find things most relevant to them. Imagine you are new to Reason and are an RRP user, and you are browsing through Reason General with the numerous features and discussion that doesn't apply to the RRP. Then you have to result to using the forum search, which admittedly is not great.

Billy+

14 Jul 2020

I'm a standalone user, until Odesi gets RRP support or the licensing starts to work better in Odesi but I'm guessing other than the main sequencer most things would work the same? And as such any tutorial / techniques would be implemented the same?

With that said I'm sure greater minds would draw better conclusions to the question, and I'm not that invested hence the initial answer.

joeyluck

14 Jul 2020

Billy wrote:
14 Jul 2020
I'm a standalone user, until Odesi gets RRP support or the licensing starts to work better in Odesi but I'm guessing other than the main sequencer most things would work the same? And as such any tutorial / techniques would be implemented the same?

With that said I'm sure greater minds would draw better conclusions to the question, and I'm not that invested hence the initial answer.
Gotcha :thumbs_up: Yes some things are different, as mentioned in the first post.

Billy+

14 Jul 2020

Then you have changed my mind and my vote has been updated to reflect this

joeyluck

14 Jul 2020

Billy wrote:
14 Jul 2020
Then you have changed my mind and my vote has been updated to reflect this
Haha well I wasn't trying to change anybody's mind.

But it looks like most will be in favor, and we can always merge it if we feel it's not working as Boombastix mentioned, so let's just give it a shot! :thumbs_up:

joeyluck

14 Jul 2020

As I'm moving many of these threads over, I'm discovering many posts with no replies. So feel free to browse the RRP forum and chime in to some of the threads if you have comments or answers :)

joeyluck

14 Jul 2020

Ok I got a good amount of posts moved. If anybody else comes across some old threads, please report them to be moved and I'll move them :)

Thanks!

Kalm

14 Jul 2020

joeyluck wrote:
14 Jul 2020
Kalm wrote:
14 Jul 2020

Thanks for your thoughts on this. And if making the RRP its own forum, should we consider renaming Reason General? Maybe Reason Standalone or Reason DAW? Or should that remain Reason General?

We do have a few subforums here, but no forum has more than one subforum. I did find the option to make the subforums visible from the forum home, which is why I'm more open to subforums now. But not against the idea of it being its own forum. We can also always move things (from being a subforum to regular forum and vice versa).
Reason DAW would be perfect actually. It’s Reason RP and Reason DAW. It establishes two different concepts. Or Spell our Reason Rack Plugin & Reason Workstation. Though first glance bias will understand Reason DAW faster
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

joeyluck

14 Jul 2020

Kalm wrote:
14 Jul 2020
joeyluck wrote:
14 Jul 2020

Reason DAW would be perfect actually. It’s Reason RP and Reason DAW. It establishes two different concepts. Or Spell our Reason Rack Plugin & Reason Workstation. Though first glance bias will understand Reason DAW faster
For now, we made it a subforum of Reason General. That had more of the votes when the forum was created lol. I wouldn't consider it a completely separate product, as the RRP is not sold separately. There's a bit to consider, but we'll see how it does.

Kalm

14 Jul 2020

:thumbs_up:
joeyluck wrote:
14 Jul 2020
Kalm wrote:
14 Jul 2020

For now, we made it a subforum of Reason General. That had more of the votes when the forum was created lol. I wouldn't consider it a completely separate product, as the RRP is not sold separately. There's a bit to consider, but we'll see how it does.

Oquasec

15 Jul 2020

RS argued whether or not they should give reason a sequencer.
So the rack plugin is basically what they intended to make. So yes a forum pls.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

NDKay

15 Jul 2020

Let me Quote myself from another thread........ (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7518382&start=50)
NDKay wrote:
02 Jul 2020
Will Reasontalk soon be a "VST-Forum" instead of a "DAW-Forum". :crazy:

I mean like "Reason the DAW" as a Subforum here. :shh:

Like getting degraded by its own tools ? :shifty:

:lol:

(... do not, dont go serious about what i wrote! :puf_bigsmile: )
so.....it´s starting i guess :lol:

If i would have known what my post would set in motion, i never had posted that ! :lol:
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

joeyluck

15 Jul 2020

NDKay wrote:
15 Jul 2020
Let me Quote myself from another thread........ (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7518382&start=50)
NDKay wrote:
02 Jul 2020
Will Reasontalk soon be a "VST-Forum" instead of a "DAW-Forum". :crazy:

I mean like "Reason the DAW" as a Subforum here. :shh:

Like getting degraded by its own tools ? :shifty:

:lol:

(... do not, dont go serious about what i wrote! :puf_bigsmile: )
so.....it´s starting i guess :lol:

If i would have known what my post would set in motion, i never had posted that ! :lol:
Haha yes...next step, the Reason DAW will be a subforum of the RRP forum :P

gullum

15 Jul 2020

As it is now as a sub forum it's harder to notice therefor the main general forum will continue to be flooded with questions about RRP and other DAW's that it's used in.

Or maybe because people not using the DAW side might come and se no main forum then got to the VST forum instead because thats what the RRP is

joeyluck

15 Jul 2020

gullum wrote:
15 Jul 2020
As it is now as a sub forum it's harder to notice therefor the main general forum will continue to be flooded with questions about RRP and other DAW's that it's used in.

Or maybe because people not using the DAW side might come and se no main forum then got to the VST forum instead because thats what the RRP is
We'll see how it goes. I was able to make subforums viewable from the forum home, so that should help. Also, when you enter into Reason General, you see the RRP forum at the top. We can also move any topics of course, as we typically do with other threads already.

hurricane
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2020

I second the idea of the RRP forum being it's own main forum on the front page for more visibility as it's somewhat hidden right now. And 'Reason General' should be something like "Reason DAW". So I imagine the main forum page being like:

Reason DAW
Reason Rack Plugin
Rack Extensions
VST

etc.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

NDKay

15 Jul 2020

joeyluck wrote:
15 Jul 2020
Haha yes...next step, the Reason DAW will be a subforum of the RRP forum :P
Lets talk again in 3 years ;-) ( just joking.... (i hope :? )) :lol:

gullum wrote:
15 Jul 2020

+1

that were the points of voting for "as main" for me too.

And although Joey already mentioned that it could overlap with questions from the "DAW side" - "we" could always direct them to the related thread in the "main main" Forum.

NDKay

15 Jul 2020

hurricane wrote:
15 Jul 2020
I second the idea of the RRP forum being it's own main forum on the front page for more visibility as it's somewhat hidden right now. And 'Reason General' should be something like "Reason DAW". So I imagine the main forum page being like:

Reason DAW
Reason Rack Plugin
Rack Extensions
VST

etc.
yeah, maybe we can get a bit "creative" and go like:

DAW - Reason
RRP - Reason Rack Plugin
RE - Rack Extensions
aso

....and while we´re at it, would "VST" not be better between "Reason Music" and "Hardware and other Software" ?

joeyluck

15 Jul 2020

hurricane wrote:
15 Jul 2020

Reason DAW
Reason Rack Plugin
Rack Extensions
VST

etc.
Yeah that's something we considered. One thing I like about it as a subforum is that if there is any crossover, it still feels somewhat in the same place.

I think also though, we would have to consider moving Reason Feature Requests, because now it lives with both Reason General and RRP and applies to both and feels cohesive. But it would feel out of place being a sub of just Reason DAW. Or we could have a separate RRP feature requests, but I was trying to avoid going overboard with new forums lol.

So if we did move the RRP forum out to the main and reason feature requests to the main, would that be too many forums in the main? Would the RE dev forum feel ok staying as a subforum under Rack Extensions with no other subforums?

Right now the votes are split, so I'm sure somebody will like it or not like it either way...

• Information