Why might the 808 FSB Kong patches use samples of Kong's synth models?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2020

I've noticed that the 808 Kong patches in the FSB use samples of Kong's synth models.

I'm curious as to why they might have done that? Am I missing something, like reducing CPU usage?

dioxide

13 Jul 2020

Because the Kong Synth modules aren't necessarily an emulation of a TR808. You can get close I think, but I don't think they were based on Roland drum synths.

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2020

Thing is, I was able to recreate a few of those kicks using Kong's drum synth, so it seems that's what they used for some of them.

Or maybe I'm just that good ;)

dioxide

13 Jul 2020

Now try the snare ;)

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2020

dioxide wrote:
13 Jul 2020
Now try the snare ;)
Haha, yeah, I remember what happened to the last guy who tried that ...

I'm guessing they either did sample that from an 808, or just wanted some uniformity throughout the patch.

dioxide

13 Jul 2020

You can get some good sounds out of the drum synth, but in my experience the sweet spots are very narrow, so it's tricky to dial them in.

SebAudio

14 Jul 2020

dioxide wrote:
13 Jul 2020
You can get some good sounds out of the drum synth, but in my experience the sweet spots are very narrow, so it's tricky to dial them in.
Nice to read : I haven’t been able to obtain anything really worthy out of the Kong drum synths… where I can with something like Microtonic. There’s really a place to have for a drum synthesis RE (I know about Ochen K’s but I don’t enjoy the UI)

dioxide

14 Jul 2020

I had another go at the snare. You can get close, but it is the noise section that lets it down. It doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the Jackbox 808 snare.

dioxide

14 Jul 2020

SebAudio wrote:
14 Jul 2020
dioxide wrote:
13 Jul 2020
Nice to read : I haven’t been able to obtain anything really worthy out of the Kong drum synths… where I can with something like Microtonic. There’s really a place to have for a drum synthesis RE (I know about Ochen K’s but I don’t enjoy the UI)
The Toms sound good for a Simmons type tom drum, but I agree, it's difficult to get anything really good out of them. It's hard to find good drum synths, although I haven't tried the Ochen K one. I recall Waldorf Attack being good, although I think it might be discontinued now.
https://waldorfmusic.com/en/archive/attack

madmacman

14 Jul 2020

dioxide wrote:
14 Jul 2020
I recall Waldorf Attack being good, although I think it might be discontinued now.
https://waldorfmusic.com/en/archive/attack
Should be still available via Waldorf Edition 2: https://waldorfmusic.com/en/overview-waldorf-edition-2 (now with a modernized GUI)

• Information