stupid upgrade (ver 11) questions

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kinkujin

12 Jul 2020

Hello fine folk!

I got the free Reason Rack lite. What a thing, what a gift. I run it in Live on a 2012 Mac mini, Mojave.

I’m currently running Reason 10 standalone on an old iMac 2009 2.26ghz 16gig ram, El Cap.

Now, I’m considering the 11 upgrade. At 129 it is of course a great bargain, at least I think it is. My questions:

1) What would I gain with the plugin from “lite” version?
2) if I upgrade and don’t go for the full “suite” do I lose out on the new RE?
3) how do you all find the upgrade running the standalone app? Worth it to you?

Thanks for answering what may have been covered. I’ve been searching and finding most talk is about the plugin. I’m sure it would be worth the upgrade cost for that alone, to me.

guitfnky

12 Jul 2020

I’m not sure what isn’t included in Lite, but I can answer the rest...

if you upgrade to Suite, you won’t lose anything you’ve already got. you’ll get all of the Reason stock devices (including any you’ve been missing out on with the Lite version) and a good number of others with it. if you can swing it, I highly recommend upgrading to Suite. partly because they don’t give you an upgrade path to 11 Suite after you’ve already upgraded to 11 Standard—at least not that I’m aware of. so if you get 11 Standard, then later decide you want Suite, you’ll end up paying $130 for Standard, and then later, another $250 for Suite (total $380); as opposed to just biting the bullet upfront and spending $250 to go straight to Suite.

it sort of depends for the standalone DAW side. for many of us who use the DAW exclusively, 11 Standard was underwhelming, with only a handful of new features, BUT there may still be huge value in upgrading to Suite, for those of us who didn’t already have many of the extra devices that are included.

if you’re thinking about trying the Reason DAW, coming from something else, I recommend it. it’s not without its shortcomings and frustrations (still no proper markers or auto punch-in/out, for example), but it’s an incredibly inspiring environment to work in. it’s why I switched to Reason in the first place—it’s not bloated with unnecessary features (the opposite, as I just mentioned), so it’s easier to focus on staying creative than other “workhorse” DAWs. you’ll have to decide whether the tradeoff in functionality for creativity is worth it, for you.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

mjxl

12 Jul 2020

kinkujin wrote:
12 Jul 2020
1) Not sure what exactly you are asking here?
- The plugin is just what it says it is, the plugin. What appears IN the plugin depends on your version of Reason.
- With 'just' full version you do not have those extra RE from the shop.

2) Nope, you can either upgrade later, or just buy the RE that are interesting to you.
- The Suite price is REALLY good though, if you have little to none of the Props RE's.

3) I only use Reason, so can't really say..?!
- I did fiddle it into a program called "Lighthost" though, which now allows me to put effects on any audio (incoming OR outgoing).
This was really cool (for other people) cause i've now eliminated whitenoise and a 50hz hum in my microphone. \o /

Billy+

12 Jul 2020

I would recommend the suite version of 11, you will get a massive saving especially if you don't have the extras that suite includes. I had a few of the rack extensions and still choose the suite upgrade.

kinkujin

12 Jul 2020

Thanks for the replies. I’m a Reason 10 user, currently. If I do upgrade, I doubt I’ll do the Suite - just too much dough right now.

I could, and may, stick with 10 and wait until 12 to upgrade. Hoping we get GUI improvements. If not, I’ll probably just stay put.

Thanks for thinking out loud with me here.

kinkujin

13 Jul 2020

mjxl wrote:
12 Jul 2020
kinkujin wrote:
12 Jul 2020
- The plugin is just what it says it is, the plugin. What appears IN the plugin depends on your version of Reason.
I was asking if there is a difference between the "Lite" version of the RRP and the full RRP included with the upgrade. Thank you.

Yonatan

13 Jul 2020

kinkujin wrote:
13 Jul 2020
mjxl wrote:
12 Jul 2020

I was asking if there is a difference between the "Lite" version of the RRP and the full RRP included with the upgrade. Thank you.
Correct if wrong, but the only difference I can recall, is that you probably need R11 to be able to use all of Reason core devices in another DAW. If you stay on R10 and use Lite plugin, it will host your RE collection but not the standard stock Reason devices that is not included in Lite.

mjxl

13 Jul 2020

Yonatan wrote:
13 Jul 2020
kinkujin wrote:
13 Jul 2020

Correct if wrong, but the only difference I can recall, is that you probably need R11 to be able to use all of Reason core devices in another DAW. If you stay on R10 and use Lite plugin, it will host your RE collection but not the standard stock Reason devices that is not included in Lite.
I'd assume this is correct yeah.
So no Grain, a couple of effects etc.

• Information