Level Automation using the dB scale

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
johnghadimi

06 Jul 2020

I'm a bit befuddled by the 1-1000 linear scale for Level automation. Knowing the brilliant minds at Reason Studios, there must have been a rhyme or reason on how that is related to the dB scale (which is logarithmic). When I'm automating "volume" I'd love to be able to automate that using dB vs. this 1-1000 scale. At this point 734 is equivalent to 0dB. Why or how, that escapes me. Hoping someone here has some insight or reason why this method was chosen.

guitfnky

06 Jul 2020

johnghadimi wrote:
06 Jul 2020
I'm a bit befuddled by the 1-1000 linear scale for Level automation. Knowing the brilliant minds at Reason Studios, there must have been a rhyme or reason on how that is related to the dB scale (which is logarithmic). When I'm automating "volume" I'd love to be able to automate that using dB vs. this 1-1000 scale. At this point 734 is equivalent to 0dB. Why or how, that escapes me. Hoping someone here has some insight or reason why this method was chosen.
it is weird. you can do it by adding a Kilohearts Gain RE at the end of your chain and automating that. pretty sure it’s still free. it also has the added benefit of allowing you to use the mixer fader to set the overall level, so if you need to do more level automation, you can do it with the Gain level track you’ve already created. if your track is too loud overall, you can just pull down the track fader, and it will keep all your Gain moves intact.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

johnghadimi

06 Jul 2020

Thank you for the heads up on the Gain RE. That's great. :) I just grabbed it.. Thankfully still available and free.
guitfnky wrote:
06 Jul 2020
johnghadimi wrote:
06 Jul 2020
it is weird. you can do it by adding a Kilohearts Gain RE at the end of your chain and automating that. pretty sure it’s still free. it also has the added benefit of allowing you to use the mixer fader to set the overall level, so if you need to do more level automation, you can do it with the Gain level track you’ve already created. if your track is too loud overall, you can just pull down the track fader, and it will keep all your Gain moves intact.

• Information