Sync Pro Tools 2020 with Reason 11 using MIDI Time Clock

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
desp27

06 Jul 2020

Hi everyone! New to the forum, hoping you can help me.

I'm having trouble syncing pro tools to reason via MTC. And yes, I do use Reason Rack Plugin, but I was used to use rewire and have some old PT/Reason sessions that I would like to open in my new system.

I'm using OS X Mojave and the IAC Driver Bus in the audio midi setup to route MIDI from PT to Reason. I've done this many time from PT to Logic, so I expected it to be kind of the same thing. From the operation manual, it seems to be very much the same process, but it just not working.

From Reason's operation manual:

Syncing Reason to another program on the same computer
This section describes how to use MIDI Clock to synchronize Reason to another application running on the same
computer.
! Note that synchronization via MIDI Clock makes the two programs play at the same time, that is, they both
“run” when you “hit play”. It does not mean they can both play audio at the same time.
Proceed as follows:
1. Set up the host, so that it transmits MIDI Clock to Reason:
Under Windows this is done by selecting one of the MIDI routing utility ports.
2. In Reason, open the Preferences - Sync page.
3. Pull down the MIDI Clock Input pop-up and select the corresponding MIDI port.
4. Close the dialog
5. Activate MIDI Clock Sync from the Options menu - “Sync” submenu in Reason.
6. Activate playback on the host.
Reason will start playing in sync with it.

So, what I'm doing is, in pro tools I go to Setup - Peripherals, and select the MTC GENERATOR PORT to be the IAC Driver Bus, and effectively Generate MTC by clicking GEN MTC on the transport bar. From there, I go to reason and in the Sync Settings - MIDI Clock Sync, I select the input to be the IAS Driver Bus; then I go to Options - Sync, and select MIDI Clock Sync. I activate the playback in pro tools and the nothing happens in reason.

If I create a MIDI channel in pro tools and set the output of this channel to the IAC Driver Bus, the MIDI does trigger instruments in reason, but there is no playback going on between pro tools and reason.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance, cheers!

4thD

04 Oct 2022

Ive been trying to figure this out myself. I withheld upgrading to v11 or v12 from v10 because they recalled Rewire. Rewire was a key tool that allowed me to sync Reason with ProTools like they days of using smpte, whereas I could use reason to choose different beats to remix songs in ProTools. Another use for Rewire was the ability to track my instruments and sounds through hardware equalizers, compressors, etc. in real time like tracking to tape. So recently I purchased v12 thinking that the Ableton Link feature was the new Rewire, but I was wrong. The problem hat I figured out is that Reason does not read midi time code (MTC) which Rewire allowed it to do. Unless they bring Rewire back or enable Reason to read MTC we are in trouble. I don't understand why this is not already available, its a necessary function that any beat machine has, and I read many people have similar complaints. I just don't get it. This is really hindering my work flow, and my personal opinion is that this simple function is keeping Reason from being the best. How a beat making machine/software don't read MTC, is CRAZY...

• Information