send fx delay

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
resin97

05 Jul 2020

Don't know if this has been posted already but I get a delay signal every time I try to set up send fx using mix channels or combinators. Is there a specific work-around I could use?

resin97

06 Jul 2020

Finally found out deselecting the render audio option in the audio preferences fixes the feedback loop for the send fx. How exactly does this affect plug in performance? Is there some routing I can use so I don't have to turn off that setting?

antic604

06 Jul 2020

resin97 wrote:
06 Jul 2020
Finally found out deselecting the render audio option in the audio preferences fixes the feedback loop for the send fx. How exactly does this affect plug in performance? Is there some routing I can use so I don't have to turn off that setting?
You get 20-25% less performance.

Use normal send/receive channels.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

PhillipOrdonez

06 Jul 2020

Normal send receive channels, as the user above stated, are those from the big mixer, in case you were wondering.

resin97

06 Jul 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
06 Jul 2020
Normal send receive channels, as the user above stated, are those from the big mixer, in case you were wondering.
I apologize, I'm kind of a novice on Reason. Are the normal send/receive channels the ones with the green knobs on the big mixer? If so how do I connect EQ, compressors, etc on just the reverb sends.

PhillipOrdonez

06 Jul 2020

resin97 wrote:
06 Jul 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
06 Jul 2020
I apologize, I'm kind of a novice on Reason. Are the normal send/receive channels the ones with the green knobs on the big mixer? If so how do I connect EQ, compressors, etc on just the reverb sends.
Worry not! This video should clear things up (haven't watched but judging by the title...)

resin97

06 Jul 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
06 Jul 2020
resin97 wrote:
06 Jul 2020

Worry not! This video should clear things up (haven't watched but judging by the title...)
He explains how to set up the send fx on those 8 channels but I was wondering how to set up send fx with additional effects on one channel. For example; putting in a reverb then adding an EQ and compressor on that same channel.

WarStar

06 Jul 2020

resin97 wrote:
06 Jul 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
06 Jul 2020

He explains how to set up the send fx on those 8 channels but I was wondering how to set up send fx with additional effects on one channel. For example; putting in a reverb then adding an EQ and compressor on that same channel.
Basically you'd still use the big send efx at the very top of your rack.. and if you want to chain some effects on the sends just plug away..if you have a reverb that has too much low end just put a EQ before your reverb in the sends and you're good to go..

I have some distortion REs on my sends and I put a EQ before them in the sends so I can get cut some low cut before it gets to the distortion RE so I can get some top end fuzz saturation for my kicks and bass without the rumble in the low-end of the distortion RE.. works really well

resin97

06 Jul 2020

WarStar wrote:
06 Jul 2020
resin97 wrote:
06 Jul 2020

Basically you'd still use the big send efx at the very top of your rack.. and if you want to chain some effects on the sends just plug away..if you have a reverb that has too much low end just put a EQ before your reverb in the sends and you're good to go..

I have some distortion REs on my sends and I put a EQ before them in the sends so I can get cut some low cut before it gets to the distortion RE so I can get some top end fuzz saturation for my kicks and bass without the rumble in the low-end of the distortion RE.. works really well

Thank you for all your replies, however I still don't understand. When you say put the EQ before the reverb, where exactly do I do that? When I insert an EQ in the sends, it acts as an independent send not affecting the reverb.
Attachments
reason 11.jpg
reason 11.jpg (203.5 KiB) Viewed 827 times

kuhliloach

07 Jul 2020

I like to think of three main ways to involve effect units in Reason, just to name three:
1. what you have there: Using the SSL's FX Returns
2. inserting effects into mix channels themselves, in various orders. called Insert Effects
3. dropping effects wherever you please into the rack OUTSIDE of the insert effects areas, but still routing audio through them. Combinators behave along these lines.

resin97

07 Jul 2020

kuhliloach wrote:
07 Jul 2020
I like to think of three main ways to involve effect units in Reason, just to name three:
1. what you have there: Using the SSL's FX Returns
2. inserting effects into mix channels themselves, in various orders. called Insert Effects
3. dropping effects wherever you please into the rack OUTSIDE of the insert effects areas, but still routing audio through them. Combinators behave along these lines.
To EQ that first reverb send I'm assuming I have to route the EQ to the send effect. I'm confused on the cable routing because I was used to using combinators and mix channels. I read on the reason website that after 10.3 those set ups aren't usable without the feedback loop affecting the sound, which is what I'm experiencing.

I've been using mostly insert effects for my mixes, but I really want to have things like reverb and delay as send effects and the option to add Eq and stuff on top of those.

selig
RE Developer

07 Jul 2020

To add send/return FX to the SSL Mixer, either drag FX below the master section, or right-click in the mixer send section and select "Create Send FX…"). Then to add additional processing such as EQ either route the EQ etc. manually (Shift-drag into rack to add device without cabling, flip the rack, and connect manually) or simply "Combine" the reverb etc. device first so that then then you can simply drag EQ either before or after the reverb (doesn't matter which) as you can elsewhere in Reason.

What's going on:
When you drag an EQ under the master section, it gets "auto-routed" to the send/return rather than "after" the specific FX that's selected (as it would anywhere else in the rack). To avoid this behavior, either connect cables manually OR put the FX into a Combinator first. There are a few advantages of using Combinators, including hiding FX chains, using auto-route features such as shift-drag to move devices into different processing orders, bypassing all FX at once, hiding all FX by closing the Combinator, and assigning Rotaries/Buttons as needed to control multiple FX devices at once.
Selig Audio, LLC

resin97

07 Jul 2020

So something like in the pic I attached? Has anyone else noticed the feedback delay when using mix channels for send fx?
Attachments
reason-pic.jpg
reason-pic.jpg (205.25 KiB) Viewed 765 times

PhillipOrdonez

07 Jul 2020

What do you mean by mix channels?

selig
RE Developer

07 Jul 2020

resin97 wrote:
07 Jul 2020
So something like in the pic I attached? Has anyone else noticed the feedback delay when using mix channels for send fx?
Yes, that exactly.
Don't use Mix Channels for FX returns if the delay bother you. It's a 64 sample delay to prevent extreme feedback loops. I wish they didn't design it that way, but that's the way it is.
Selig Audio, LLC

resin97

07 Jul 2020

selig wrote:
07 Jul 2020
resin97 wrote:
07 Jul 2020
Yes, that exactly.
Don't use Mix Channels for FX returns if the delay bother you. It's a 64 sample delay to prevent extreme feedback loops. I wish they didn't design it that way, but that's the way it is.
Okay awesome thanks everyone for your help.

• Information