Will there not be a Reason 12? Time for subscription?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MattiasHG
Reason Studios

06 Jul 2020

diminished wrote:
04 Jul 2020
MattiasHG wrote:
03 Jul 2020
Right, I completely agree, it's not ideal and in time we'll phase the old versions out. We also tried to be super clear on what's included both on Plugin Boutique's page and /reason-lite/ on our website. Hard to control what's on youtube though, if you search for "Reason" you can of course still get Reason 5 or pre-VST support. The internet is what it is :lol:
Hi Mattias,

thanks for answering our questions.
Regarding the above, then why does PB advertise with a screenshot of Thor?
https://www.pluginboutique.com/ckeditor ... utique.png
With 11.3 there is absolutely no way to get Thor into Lite, unless it's not Lite that you are showing in that screenshot. I believe those have been provided by Reason Studios - honest mistake?
Yeah, that was accidentally added by PB, likely from the screenshots they're using when selling the other versions. Honest mistake if you don't know the product inside and out! It's not in the fresh batch of Lite screenshots we made for the launch. We've asked them to exchange it, but summer vacation's starting in the UK too... but hopefully real soon! :)

EdGrip

06 Jul 2020

aeox wrote:
03 Jul 2020
MattiasHG wrote:
03 Jul 2020
* a wild Mattias appears *
Superb work!

I'm on Reason 11.chillthefuckout - still need to report that drag&drop bug.

KGB

06 Jul 2020

Faastwalker wrote:
01 Jul 2020
The idea of Reason becoming subscription based is a pretty bleak prospect. Especially after investing so much money into RE's that can ONLY be used in Reason. I consider myself a casual user / hobbyist. I love Reason but I don't use it enough to warrant a monthly subscription. How many users would be in the same situation? On the other hand if they have also spent a decent amount of money on RE's would they fill bound to Reason? Is a very uncomfortable prospect. But it would be a cold day in Hell before I'd subscribe going forward. I think it would be a huge mistake for Reason Studios to go down this path.
The real question would be, how would new users perceive this? What's the value add to what they already use for them to dive into a new subscription based platform? I doubt RS would go the subscription route, but if they do I would guess that it won't be cheap (based on the price of certain REs).

We don't know what they are planning but we know that they hear our cries (per Matthias). My advice for everyone is to just remain calm and work on music. You have 3 options as of right now:

Reason DAW
Reason Rack inside another DAW of choice
Leave

I'm still having fun on R10.

QVprod

06 Jul 2020

KGB wrote:
06 Jul 2020
Faastwalker wrote:
01 Jul 2020
The idea of Reason becoming subscription based is a pretty bleak prospect. Especially after investing so much money into RE's that can ONLY be used in Reason. I consider myself a casual user / hobbyist. I love Reason but I don't use it enough to warrant a monthly subscription. How many users would be in the same situation? On the other hand if they have also spent a decent amount of money on RE's would they fill bound to Reason? Is a very uncomfortable prospect. But it would be a cold day in Hell before I'd subscribe going forward. I think it would be a huge mistake for Reason Studios to go down this path.
The real question would be, how would new users perceive this? What's the value add to what they already use for them to dive into a new subscription based platform? I doubt RS would go the subscription route, but if they do I would guess that it won't be cheap (based on the price of certain REs).
Depends on what you define as a new user. New to Reason, or new to production software in general. I think the latter is probably an easier target. Subscription is a hard sell to anyone experienced, as they likely have what they need or only need specific things. Also, I think the conception for many here is that subscription means subscription only. I mentioned Pro Tools earlier in the thread, which has both a perpetual license as well as a subscription. I’d imagine any DAW software that moved to that model would do the same. There’s way too much competition for RS to pull some Adobe nonsense. Keep in mind RS does already have a subscription service with RE as well as a way to pay for Reason over time.

tiker01

07 Jul 2020

I second the opinion that if subscription ever happens that wouldn't be an exclusive option. One could still buy a perpetual licence.

Morover, who knows what would be the offering of a RS subscription? Perhaps they would add extra services besides the access of the DAW.

Anyway only time can tell!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

DaveyG

07 Jul 2020

tiker01 wrote:
07 Jul 2020
Morover, who knows what would be the offering of a RS subscription? Perhaps they would add extra services besides the access of the DAW.
Maybe the extra service will be support tickets that get actioned rather than just being closed.

Rackman

07 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
07 Jul 2020
tiker01 wrote:
07 Jul 2020
Maybe the extra service will be support tickets that get actioned rather than just being closed.
That isn't RS's style.

EnochLight

07 Jul 2020

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

07 Jul 2020

Speaking of....Presonus just launched a subscription service

EnochLight

07 Jul 2020

QVprod wrote:
07 Jul 2020
Not through Splice?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

DaveyG

07 Jul 2020

EnochLight wrote:
07 Jul 2020
QVprod wrote:
07 Jul 2020
Not through Splice?
No, their own one. with a name a bit like Splice: Sphere!

EnochLight

07 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
07 Jul 2020
No, their own one. with a name a bit like Splice: Sphere!
Just read up on it. Interesting. Looks like they're doing it the right way: still offering traditional upgrade paths, while offering a sub that gives you almost everything they have plus a ton more. I honestly can't slight them for it, especially for just $15 USD/month (or $13.75 if you buy annually). The value is astounding, IMHO.

mjxl

12 Jul 2020

My view on 'purchase vs subscription' :

I'd rather pay a big price / up front and only every so often use said product, instead of paying a small fee each time which only allows for a small time window to use the product.

I can see that income and expenses could be a " Reason " here

ltbrunt00

01 Nov 2020

Any news on a Reason 12 update? I have been using Reason more than ever and have put money aside for the yearly upgrade. I would like to know if there is going to be an update this year or not.

With all the holiday sales coming up don't want to buy something else then not have the money for a Reason upgrade. Not to mention the yearly Reason shop sale.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

EnochLight

01 Nov 2020

ltbrunt00 wrote:
01 Nov 2020
Any news on a Reason 12 update? I have been using Reason more than ever and have put money aside for the yearly upgrade. I would like to know if there is going to be an update this year or not.

With all the holiday sales coming up don't want to buy something else then not have the money for a Reason upgrade. Not to mention the yearly Reason shop sale.
Reason 11 literally came out just a little over a year ago. There's usually a bit more time between major version upgrades, though I suppose anything is possible. My advice is, always have money put aside for a full version upgrade appearing at any time (if you're the kind of user that tends to want to be on the latest version), and use any extra money for the sale stuff this November/December. ;) :thumbs_up:

guitfnky

01 Nov 2020

ltbrunt00 wrote:
01 Nov 2020

the only news is that there won't be a new version out this year. Matias has said so here in the forums. doesn't mean we won't necessarily get any more point updates, but nothing you'll need to pay for.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

fieldframe
RE Developer

01 Nov 2020

Time for another installment of the Reason Almanac!

Using my rolling average percentile model, here are a few dates:

An early Reason 12 release would be April 7, 2021.

An average release would be May 24, 2021.

A late release would be July 21, 2021.

In any case, if patterns hold, Reason 12 will come out late spring to mid summer next year. That leaves plenty of time for another point release – here's hoping it's the UI update!

kuhliloach

01 Nov 2020

If a Reason version 12 never happens I'd be OK with that. Sometimes there are silver linings in situations that seem devastating and in this case for me that silver lining is Logic Pro x 10.5. Reason, by simply ignoring the code for so long, made this happen. Reason, by developing a plug-in I can use in Logic made this happen. Reason, by showing pictures of Logic and Ableton on their home page made this happen. The funny thing is that before all this happened I knew in the back of my mind something was wrong. Why did every professional I was working with look at me funny for running Reason as a main DAW. I just wish I had learned earlier.

That said, a fresh Reason 12 release that competes with the features of Logic and Ableton and proves the software is still being actively developed would be more than welcome. Unfortunately when we look at the last several major released we see lipstick on a pig rather than actual development.

ltbrunt00

01 Nov 2020

I am glad I was able to some some additional dialog going on this. I would like to get a road map, unfortunately DAW companies are secret until a release.

Is there enough room in the DAW market for all these companies. Could there ever be mergers between these companies? I for one would be devastated if Reason would cease to being a standalone DAW.

If there were mergers or acquisitions playing the what if game. What would your dream DAW merger be?
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Mike B

02 Nov 2020

ltbrunt00 wrote:
01 Nov 2020
I would like to get a road map, unfortunately DAW companies are secret until a release.
FL Studio’s public “To-Do List” for the future versions in their own forum.

https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic. ... 00&t=20231

MusicBocs

02 Nov 2020

fieldframe wrote:
01 Nov 2020
Time for another installment of the Reason Almanac!

Using my rolling average percentile model, here are a few dates:

An early Reason 12 release would be April 7, 2021.

An average release would be May 24, 2021.

A late release would be July 21, 2021.

In any case, if patterns hold, Reason 12 will come out late spring to mid summer next year. That leaves plenty of time for another point release – here's hoping it's the UI update!
I think for this purpose you should probably include the release of Propellerhead Record. Record was released on September 9, 2009. I'd consider it a mainline software release. That give you 743 Day between Reason 4 and Record and 350 days between Record and Reason 5.

selig
RE Developer

02 Nov 2020

Mike B wrote:
02 Nov 2020
ltbrunt00 wrote:
01 Nov 2020
I would like to get a road map, unfortunately DAW companies are secret until a release.

Bottom line HAS to be what they do, not what they say. I actually don't care what is being planned, I care more what is begin pulled off. If one company makes every considered update public, but only actually follows through with 10% that's no different to me than another company that says nothing and actually follows through with 10%. That's what I mean by the "watch what they do, not what they say" approach.
I don't know what others do, but I cannot make purchase decisions on what is "planned" by a company since there is just as much chance something on that list that's important to me gets done as it doesn't get done. IMO that is a false sense of security! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

diminished
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2020

selig wrote:
02 Nov 2020
Mike B wrote:
02 Nov 2020

Bottom line HAS to be what they do, not what they say. I actually don't care what is being planned, I care more what is begin pulled off. If one company makes every considered update public, but only actually follows through with 10% that's no different to me than another company that says nothing and actually follows through with 10%. That's what I mean by the "watch what they do, not what they say" approach.
I don't know what others do, but I cannot make purchase decisions on what is "planned" by a company since there is just as much chance something on that list that's important to me gets done as it doesn't get done. IMO that is a false sense of security! :)
Well, with FL you buy a life-long license, all future upgrades are for free. So it makes sense to see what they have planned for the future.
In addition, one can easily see what they already HAVE implemented from that list in the past.
Hence I wouldn't use the term false sense of security, because a license holder has literally nothing to lose, only things to look forward to.
Because they grant life-long licenses, they wouldn't even have to have that list, they just do and it's pretty cool.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

guitfnky

02 Nov 2020

selig wrote:
02 Nov 2020
Mike B wrote:
02 Nov 2020

I agree more weight must be put on the actual features being added, than a list of what they plan to add, but that also strikes me as a bit dismissive of the value of such a list. most of us here trust Mattias when he says something, no? he’s stated they’re currently working on high DPI support. do we believe him? this is no different, aside from the public Reason list only having one thing on it.

sure, he could be lying (as could FL), but how would that benefit them in the long term? might grab a few sales now, but they’d be doing harm to their reputations to not follow through.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Dante

02 Nov 2020

I wont be touching subscription anything with a bargepole. I have everything I need owned outright and will continue with that.

• Information