Will there not be a Reason 12? Time for subscription?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
buddard
RE Developer

02 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
02 Nov 2020
sure, he could be lying (as could FL), but how would that benefit them in the long term? might grab a few sales now, but they’d be doing harm to their reputations to not follow through.
I don't think that anyone will lie in their feature lists on purpose. But things can happen along the way -- You can run into unforeseen technical complications or delays that reduce the number of features you can include in a release, or the priorities might change depending on what the competition is doing etc.
So publicly committing to a long list of features in advance might not be the best strategy....

guitfnky

02 Nov 2020

buddard wrote:
02 Nov 2020
guitfnky wrote:
02 Nov 2020
sure, he could be lying (as could FL), but how would that benefit them in the long term? might grab a few sales now, but they’d be doing harm to their reputations to not follow through.
I don't think that anyone will lie in their feature lists on purpose. But things can happen along the way -- You can run into unforeseen technical complications or delays that reduce the number of features you can include in a release, or the priorities might change depending on what the competition is doing etc.
So publicly committing to a long list of features in advance might not be the best strategy....
absolutely. that’s why I don’t fault RS for not giving us such lists, and I think they learned their lesson in terms of communicating overly optimistic time frames with the performance overhaul. just seems a little unfair to dismiss the usefulness of sharing what software companies are working on, especially if they’ve shown themselves to be generally trustworthy. I’ve never known Props/RS to not deliver on something they’ve committed to, so if they ever did provide such a list, I think we could all trust that they’d see it through.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Rackman

02 Nov 2020

At least they are dependable. They commit to next to nothing, then reliably deliver next to nothing.

guitfnky

02 Nov 2020

Rackman wrote:
02 Nov 2020
At least they are dependable. They commit to next to nothing, then reliably deliver next to nothing.
:roll:

Electric-Metal

02 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
02 Nov 2020

+1

:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Mike B

03 Nov 2020

buddard wrote:
02 Nov 2020
You’d be impressed by how much FL Studio commits to its roadmap. They’ve been releasing updates every month or 2 for the past several years.

The way I see it is sharing a roadmap or To-Do list keeps a close and healthy engagement with customers. For the users, seeing “we are working on what you’re requesting” is more engaging than radio silence or bits and pieces of secret information here and there while waiting for an update on a yearly basis.

To each his own. I actually love FL’s strategy. The devs show the community they’re here and working.

KGB

03 Nov 2020

Electric-Metal wrote:
02 Nov 2020
guitfnky wrote:
02 Nov 2020

+1

:lol:

Not true but that was funny

fieldframe
RE Developer

03 Nov 2020

MusicBocs wrote:
02 Nov 2020
fieldframe wrote:
01 Nov 2020
Time for another installment of the Reason Almanac!

Using my rolling average percentile model, here are a few dates:

An early Reason 12 release would be April 7, 2021.

An average release would be May 24, 2021.

A late release would be July 21, 2021.

In any case, if patterns hold, Reason 12 will come out late spring to mid summer next year. That leaves plenty of time for another point release – here's hoping it's the UI update!
I think for this purpose you should probably include the release of Propellerhead Record. Record was released on September 9, 2009. I'd consider it a mainline software release. That give you 743 Day between Reason 4 and Record and 350 days between Record and Reason 5.
That's a good point!

My prediction model only considers the most recent three versions, so Record / Reason 5 dates won't affect the above, but it definitely makes the Reason Almanac more complete.

guitfnky

03 Nov 2020

oh dang, did Record predate v5? I came into Reason at v5+Record Duo, and always thought Record came out at the same time as 5.

DecafDreams

04 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Nov 2020
oh dang, did Record predate v5? I came into Reason at v5+Record Duo, and always thought Record came out at the same time as 5.
Record 1.0 came out in 2009, 2 years after Reason 4.0.

Record 1.5 came out in 2010 at the same time as Reason 5.0

Reason 6 came out in 2011 and was essentially Record 2.0 :)

guitfnky

04 Nov 2020

DecafDreams wrote:
04 Nov 2020
guitfnky wrote:
03 Nov 2020
Record 1.0 came out in 2009, 2 years after Reason 4.0.

Record 1.5 came out in 2010 at the same time as Reason 5.0

Reason 6 came out in 2011 and was essentially Record 2.0 :)
ah, okay, I'm not going crazy, then--thanks! 😅

fieldframe
RE Developer

05 Nov 2020

I think I recall Mattias saying a Suite version of Reason 12 wasn't a sure thing, and that it might be a one-off for 11. With one new premium Reason Studios device so far since 11, and being over the halfway point to when we might anticipate Reason 12, we might see a second premium offering before then, or not.

One new device wouldn't exactly be a huge selling point for existing Suite owners, although adding it on top of the abundance of existing Suite devices would still be a compelling offer for owners of the standard version. If the 11 Suite to 12 Suite upgrade costs the same as the 11 standard to 12 standard upgrade, it would also be an additional enticement for existing Suite owners to make the upgrade.

Do you think there will be a Reason 12 Suite?

Rackman

06 Nov 2020

Suite was just a continuation of Reason Studios' 'Money for old rope' strategy that has been driving their approach for the last few years. It has allowed them to re-monetise things that were no longer producing revenue, be it romplers using old sound libs, or a 'suite' of REs that nobody was buying any more. I see no reason why this shouldn't continue.

The real question should be 'What can they re-sell to avoid doing any meaningful improvements to the platform?' My guess is that they will sell 'HD' upgrades of existing REs if/when they drag the graphics out of the late-90s. Either that or they'll add an 'X' onto existing devices and try and find some 'killer features' that make the 'X' fly. Subtractor X, Grain X etc. Whatever it is, they'll be looking for a way to (re)sell you things you already own or didn't want/need the first time around.

antic604

06 Nov 2020

fieldframe wrote:
05 Nov 2020
Do you think there will be a Reason 12 Suite?
I think there will be.

Not least for the fact that it introduced a premium version of Reason and it brings with itself certain whiff of exclusivity or elitism ;) I expect there will be at least one more device - other than Friktion - introduced before 12 is out and they will be included there for a bit higher upgrade price.

Regardless, can we expect Reason 11.4 still this year?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

deeplink
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2020

I smell an .4 or .5 update this year...
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

ShelLuser

10 Nov 2020

I'm a little late to the discussion but... It seams Reason 12 can't be far away ;) I used to work with Live 10, Reason 11 and Komplete 12. Well, in the mean time I upgraded to Komplete 13, Live 11 has just been announced and is on its way so it only makes sense that Reason 12 can't be far behind to ensure that the power sequence is maintained ;)

More seriously though....
Boombastix wrote:
01 Jul 2020
What is the asset, the active user base of course. But will YOU go sub with them? Or will you demand a purchased version with real DAW development?
To be honest I'm not even sure if I would get Reason 12 if it ever comes out, simply because the rack plugin does a good job for patching purposes, and since they dropped ReWire I moved my sequencer needs over to Maschine. Takes getting used to but once you get the hang of it...

But I'd never go along with subscription based software. The only exception to this is Microsoft 365 but the only reason I got that is mainly because of the OneDrive cloud storage, not necessarily the software.

In fact, I wonder how profitable the subscription model really is. I recently got a little more interested in Adobe and even they still provide perpetual licenses for some of their products (Photoshop & Premiere Elements), even release new versions. Considering their subscription stuff I doubt they'd do this because the subscriptions alone are sufficient. I mean.. if someone hires their software for 2 months in a year (E 25 / month) they'd make E 50,-. If someone buys into Elements and gets persuaded to upgrade to the next version they'd easily make around E140 + approx. E 120 the next year (there's a small upgrade discount).

But generally speaking hiring software is usually a bad deal for the customers.
--- :reason:

mcatalao
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2020

Subscription is a business model for selling software.

Not evolving reason would be a big risk with or without a subscription model. So, unless something like a full scale extinction event happens, like global nuclear war, an asteroid crash or a virus pandemic, Reason 12 will happen...

Oh... wait...

dannyF

10 Nov 2020

Rackman wrote:
02 Nov 2020
:lol: totally under appreciated comment

• Information