Drum Sequencer that auto change patterns in a sequence

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jagwah

31 Jul 2022

ljekio wrote:
27 Jun 2020
But Props can be to make CV socket for Pattern Select Input.
One million percent!

There would have been easy and fun solutions to this with CV, you could have easily swapped between Drum Sequencers at the press of a midi button or fade between them and so much more.

:thumbs_down:

MrFigg wrote:
27 Jun 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Jun 2020
They could update the drum sequencer with the pattern thing from polystep.
When was the last time you saw Propellerheads update one of their REs? Once maybe?
Yeah Phillip they are pipe dreams that are leading no where!

jmp909

31 Aug 2022

(just realised how old this post is, but anyway!)

I nearly have it but I'm not sure it's possible...

it involves sacrificing 1 lane of Drum Sequencer to act as a trigger on the last step for the next pattern

using the trigger out of Drum Gate Out 8, this then moves the Thor step sequencer along one step, with each of Thor's 8 steps being set to a specific note from C3 to G3, that then map back to the pattern switch on the DS via the combinator

This works because DS wont switch patterns until the next beat.

Main problems:
  • Thor step sequencer doesn't reset on Play
  • Drum Sequencer sequencer doesn't reset to first step when using patterns of different lengths (so you end up half way through the pattern)
all stock apart from the Drum Sequencer
drum-pattern-switcher-2.zip
(3.7 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Somebody with better knowledge of Thor & DS might be able to take the idea and work it out
switch-trigger.gif
switch-trigger.gif (91.81 KiB) Viewed 407 times
thor-steps.gif
thor-steps.gif (46.92 KiB) Viewed 415 times

PhillipOrdonez

01 Sep 2022

It would just be easier if they added trig conditions to drum sequencer.

I love sequences, but would love to have drum sequencer be usable to do, you know, drums? I want 1:2, 2:2, 1:3, etc til 8:8, and also the possibility to set a different note per step condition baked into drum sequencer #dreams

The elektron sequencer has spoiled me 🤷‍♂️

I'm loving the small step sequencer by lectric Panda as well. Very sweet for drum programming 👍

electrofux

01 Sep 2022

selig wrote:
28 Jun 2020
For reference, this is a form of clip launching which is nothing new (again, Studio Vision Pro did this in the 1990s), and frankly it's a bit surprising no device from Reason Studios has done anything like this to date.
Clip Launcher, sigh.

I dont know, but it seems the number of daws that dont have such a feature is very low. For some it looks like is even one of the main selling points or center of creation (Ableton, Bitwig?). It feels like that Clip Launching has become an industry standard. But Reasonstudios seem to ignore that or at least see it differently.

Time after time i have tried to put some Combinators together to get a Clip Launching feature but all efforts allways stopped at different missing features. And the answer why this or that was missing was allways "SDK Limitations".

It seems like even though we have this massive amount of utility REs and such, Reason is not made for proper Clip Launching and even the most obscure solutions hit a brick wall somewhere.

I even was about to get into the RE SDK and do something myself but i would only try it if there was a way to also a) Record into Clips and b.) make that remotable in order to use a Launchpad which i feel is the natural companion of a Clip Launcher. But yeah, you cant remote Record Buttons on sequencers for whatever reason that is - someone explained to me the technicalities as of why though. Why it stayed that way however is beyond me honestly - having to mouseclick the record button and then be able to record on your keyboard thats pretty clunky isn't it? To me at least.

And tbh the place of development of a proper Clip Launcher imho is not the RE SDK but the Reason Sequencer. I would be happy for any solution though.

I had some success with remoting the left and right Loop markers in context of the Song position marker, so i could jump seemlessly from one part of the song to another. But thats far from having eg a proper 8x8 Clip Matrix. It is more like section launching and it fumbles here and there.

jmp909

01 Sep 2022

just noting that @rmtcvolte created one solution for this here
viewtopic.php?p=617328#p617328

again sacrificing one of the DS lanes to act as a trigger note... in this case the velocity level sets the pattern to jump to, using Thor as an intermediary to convert the signal

• Information