How's the work on high-res GPU accelerated GUI coming along? :)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
antic604

22 Jun 2020

Recently I got into a habit of firing up Reason early Sunday morning to sample my kids playing and/or arguing to make some simple "idea" out of it. But boy it's becoming a real struggle to edit MIDI or especially automation - all the handles are so small & flimsy that I sometimes just give up... Reason is still pretty immediate & very inspiring, with abundance of quality devices & presets, but the GUI size is something I can't get around - I'm on a 15'' 1080p laptop and scaling the GUI up simply turns it into a fuzzy soup and gives me headache after 15 minutes :(

So, how is the work coming along? When can we expect it to drop? I wouln't hesitate one second if it was paid upgrade, just make it a quick one, please :wink:
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

EnochLight

22 Jun 2020

Taking into consideration Swedish Midsummer celebrations are underway, I doubt any work is happening this week. :D :lol: But where did you read that high-res GPU accelerated GUI was happening? :o :shock: :?:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

22 Jun 2020

EnochLight wrote:
22 Jun 2020
Taking into consideration Swedish Midsummer celebrations are underway, I doubt any work is happening this week. :D :lol: But where did you read that high-res GPU accelerated GUI was happening? :o :shock: :?:
Mattias said so in either the post-v11 discussion thread, or one of the feature request threads—I forget where, exactly.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

NDKay

22 Jun 2020

The perfect timing for that is (long time) over imo. This really should have been implemented years ago.

iirc some people already calling it a "feature" ironically. Its the "Original View" for the "Original Flow" :lol:
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

DaveyG

22 Jun 2020

I don't think we had any indication of timescale, priority or urgency for it so don't hold your breath!

EnochLight

22 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
22 Jun 2020
Mattias said so in either the post-v11 discussion thread, or one of the feature request threads—I forget where, exactly.
Ahhh that's right - I think I was in that thread, too. :lol: :thumbs_up: #getting_old
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

22 Jun 2020

EnochLight wrote:
22 Jun 2020
guitfnky wrote:
22 Jun 2020
Ahhh that's right - I think I was in that thread, too. :lol: :thumbs_up: #getting_old
I think everyone was in those threads. there was a lot worth forgetting. bound for some of the good info to get bundled in with the trash. :lol:
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

selig
RE Developer

22 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
22 Jun 2020
I don't think we had any indication of timescale, priority or urgency for it so don't hold your breath!
"Don't hold your breath" is the Reason Mantra for me for years!
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Biolumin3sc3nt

22 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
22 Jun 2020
DaveyG wrote:
22 Jun 2020
"Don't hold your breath" is the Reason Mantra for me for years!
;)
Lol ... yeah pretty much!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Jun 2020

antic604 wrote:
22 Jun 2020
Recently I got into a habit of firing up Reason early Sunday morning to sample my kids playing and/or arguing to make some simple "idea" out of it. But boy it's becoming a real struggle to edit MIDI or especially automation - all the handles are so small & flimsy that I sometimes just give up... Reason is still pretty immediate & very inspiring, with abundance of quality devices & presets, but the GUI size is something I can't get around - I'm on a 15'' 1080p laptop and scaling the GUI up simply turns it into a fuzzy soup and gives me headache after 15 minutes :(

So, how is the work coming along? When can we expect it to drop? I wouln't hesitate one second if it was paid upgrade, just make it a quick one, please :wink:
Age as well as monitor resolution definitely does have an impact. Having only recently stated here I thought it was ok on a good-sized desktop, I now note that actually even on my distinctly non-HD 30" monitor, for the first time it's now a real struggle at times. Wearing contacts to use Reason is now a total non-starter, I'd have to sit more than a meter from the screen for things to be in focus, or wear readers; but normal myoptic corrective specs, I'm a little too close to achieve ideal visual acuity due to reduced close-focus ability of older age.

Yup, once you hit 45, it really is all downhill. Oh me bones, me bones! :mrgreen:

zoidkirb

22 Jun 2020

I think the one or two comments made on forums were more intended to cool down a bit of public embarrassment about the situation just after the launch of R11, and a timeframe wasnt established.
I think it's very reasonable to expect these changes to come with R12.

BRIGGS

22 Jun 2020

EnochLight wrote:
22 Jun 2020
r11s

DaveyG

23 Jun 2020

JiggeryPokery wrote:
22 Jun 2020
antic604 wrote:
22 Jun 2020

Age as well as monitor resolution definitely does have an impact. Having only recently stated here I thought it was ok on a good-sized desktop, I now note that actually even on my distinctly non-HD 30" monitor, for the first time it's now a real struggle at times. Wearing contacts to use Reason is now a total non-starter, I'd have to sit more than a meter from the screen for things to be in focus, or wear readers; but normal myoptic corrective specs, I'm a little too close to achieve ideal visual acuity due to reduced close-focus ability of older age.

Yup, once you hit 45, it really is all downhill. Oh me bones, me bones! :mrgreen:
Bingo! You've hit the alternative solution. Rather than change Reason to match our aging eyes they just need to get rid of us oldies and bring in a younger audience with eyes that work properly. I'll submit it as a feature request. :thumbs_up:

SebAudio

23 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
23 Jun 2020
JiggeryPokery wrote:
22 Jun 2020

Bingo! You've hit the alternative solution. Rather than change Reason to match our aging eyes they just need to get rid of us oldies and bring in a younger audience with eyes that work properly. I'll submit it as a feature request. :thumbs_up:
Young people have good eyes and can clearly see the blur of Reason (rack & some dialogs) even better in RRP in contrast with the rest of DAW and other plugins. We are now used to « Pixel-less » screens with our phones. To attract young and new users, your UI has to be « in its time », and that is full hi-dpi.
Now for a timeline perspective : it took Korg 2 years from their announcement to the release of the updated legacy collection :o

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

23 Jun 2020

Workin' on it! No timeframe or release plan to share, but it's actively being worked on by a dedicated team.

chimp_spanner

23 Jun 2020

Just neuralink it into my brain already. Using your eyes is so last century!

Murf
RE Developer

23 Jun 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
23 Jun 2020
Workin' on it! No timeframe or release plan to share, but it's actively being worked on by a dedicated team.
Thanks Mattias!!!

kinkujin

23 Jun 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
23 Jun 2020
Yay! 55 yrs old and I can use all the help I can get. :puf_bigsmile:

Thanks Mattias!

Koshdukai

23 Jun 2020

I'm feeling lucky... (*knock on wood*) 52yo and my eye-sight is still working while using Reason 11 on an 34" UltraWide screen.

but... please Mattias, hurry up with GUI zooming 'cause I'm not sure for how long I'll be able to keep this up ;)
(and I'm also waiting to get a 5K screen, like "everyone else"! eh)

esselfortium

23 Jun 2020

On a 1080p or 1440p display with decent pixel size, Reason is plenty readable for me and I appreciate being able to fit more onscreen without a ton of wasted space from huge interfaces. It's a bit small on my laptop without scaling, though. Looking forward to the graphics overhaul and hoping that it will make things more responsive, too.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

fieldframe
RE Developer

23 Jun 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
23 Jun 2020
I can only imagine the number of Jira tickets you must be working through to get all the bits of functionality that have come together throughout Reason’s history working in the new renderer. It’s got to be an absolute unit of a backlog!

lakinlakin

23 Jun 2020

Thank god they are working on it. When it appears I will be upgrading. I like Reason but don't use it anymore because my eyes get tired. I too am an old person.

DaveyG

23 Jun 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
23 Jun 2020
The Big M say "Don't Hold Your Breath" :thumbs_up:

If it was the 80's we'd be able to get that on a T-shirt.

Arjanders

23 Jun 2020

EnochLight

23 Jun 2020

Arjanders wrote:
23 Jun 2020
If you play to the end, you'll find that it finally shows the actual cake. This implies that GLaDOS really hid the cake really well, is all. ;)

• Information