four volume problems - help please

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
fredphoesh

20 Jun 2020

Hello peeps, I hope you're doing well...
I have a few volume problems

1/ Sometimes, like now, the automation in the sequencer created for the Level of an instrument will not update properly, and can jump extremely from low to high, making it impossible to adjust as wanted. See this video showing this issue. https://videoblurb.com/mp/reason_level_ ... orking.mp4

2/ The second problem is SOMETIMES I try to click on one of the events in the piano roll, the volume is incredibly high. MUCH higher than the volume of the same note if I press play to hear it on the sequencer... surely it should be the same volume.

3/ sometimes, like right now, the velocity for a clip in the sequencer does not affect the volume of the music. I have put the Velocity at zero and at 127 and it makes no difference. Sometimes it does.

4/ When I play my keyboard, the volume from Reason is very low. No matter how hard I press the key, it is not nearly as loud as the volume from the pads on the same keyboard. I have a Novation Launchkey 25. Is there any way within Reason to push the even velocity?

Thanks,
Mark.

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2020

Howdy Mark

1. Would indicate that maybe you have a MIDI controller that is also assigned to that Fader and it is juddering - outputting data either as you bump the controller or because the pot is dirty. Not uncommon as a controller gets older & dustier (esp with humidity). Get rid of any controller associations first (turn off the Launchkey for a start) and see if things stop jumping. If it is a slider/knob, waggle that back and forth quite a few times to see if it will clear, some older pots just get glitchy (M-Audio anyone) and have to be quarantined or retired.

The others I feel are hard to diagnose without seeing what else is going on as I fear that there are some things that you don't understand and so you are pushing in the wrong direction without realizing.

Slow down, put aside what "should" be happening and work through EVERY part of the process in detail until you find what is not as you assume it should be or is plain broken. It is a tricky thing to do to let go like that but it is a great lesson in troubleshooting and solving problems by coming at them sideways.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information