Control transport from Novation Impulse controller

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Bjørn Felle

20 Jun 2020

Hi all

I've got a Novation Impulse 61 controller and I would like to use its transport controls with Reason 10. I know that I can remote override map to the controls and it does work, but this would then mean doing the mapping in every project individually. The Impulse does not allow me to change the CC being sent by its transport buttons, and I don't know what CCs Reason would respond to anyway. I have the Impulse added as a control keyboard on the Control Surfaces tab. It also shows as an Easy MIDI Input, and I've tried setting it as a MIDI input on External Control. Is there any way to get Reason to respond to the transport controls on this keyboard other than to remote override map every project individually?

Thanks in advance!

NDKay

20 Jun 2020

a (dirty) quick fix would be that you open your start template, map the transport controls like you wish (remote override) and save this as your new start template. Then you will have the transport working everytime you start a new project, but for your "older" projects you´ll still have to map them project after project and save again.

You should find the CC Controls in the Reason Manual iirc.

And maybe you could get the transport section working by default if you change the way of how your midi controller is "Set-up" in Reason. Search for some " midi controller Setup Reason" Videos and try some things that you will see there. Like try to Set up the your impulse as a "Other" device if you understand what i mean. You could also search here in the Forum for that topic, i dont think you are the only one with the impulse.
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

Italophile

20 Jun 2020

Have you installed the drivers and Automap software?

https://customer.novationmusic.com/en/ ... e=software

Bjørn Felle

20 Jun 2020

NDKay wrote:
20 Jun 2020
a (dirty) quick fix would be that you open your start template, map the transport controls like you wish (remote override) and save this as your new start template. Then you will have the transport working everytime you start a new project, but for your "older" projects you´ll still have to map them project after project and save again.

You should find the CC Controls in the Reason Manual iirc.

And maybe you could get the transport section working by default if you change the way of how your midi controller is "Set-up" in Reason. Search for some " midi controller Setup Reason" Videos and try some things that you will see there. Like try to Set up the your impulse as a "Other" device if you understand what i mean. You could also search here in the Forum for that topic, i dont think you are the only one with the impulse.
Ahh thanks, yeah I can definitely save it as a template and apply to new projects, and it's not that big a deal to go back and change existing ones. The only files I need to change are the live versions of existing tracks, which I have already remapped, and the tracks for the new album which won't take long. So it's not too big a job really. When you said changing how the MIDI controller is set up, I interpret that as changing the control codes it sends. If that's what you meant, sadly I don't think it's possible, as the usual template editing function on the Impulse doesn't allow you to change the control code being sent by the transport buttons.
Italophile wrote:
20 Jun 2020
Have you installed the drivers and Automap software?
No, but Automap is discontinued by Novation because it doesn't work on Mac OS Catalina (which I'm using). To be honest I didn't think the driver would really make a difference as the Impulse is class compliant anyway (so the default driver should map the control codes the same as a specific one) but it's possible that the correct driver might do some translation of the CCs for the transport buttons. I'll install it and report back. Thanks for the suggestion dude

One other annoying thing I have noticed is that the record button on the Impulse is interpreted by Reason as momentary not latching, which means when you release the record button it stops recording (but continues to play). This is bizarre, I have no idea why they would think you would want it to do that so it must be an incompatibility of some kind.

NDKay

20 Jun 2020

i am on windows and i dont have an impulse, so maybe someone with a mac system can help better.

By "other" i mean when you go in the midi controller options tab you can choose the manufacturer and device, but you could also go without the manufacturer and choose "other" and set which type of controller you have ( keyboard, control, multichannel, aso).
Maybe one of the options includes the transport to work by default.

You could also write an email to novation about that. the impulse is from an "Automap time", so maybe it has something to do with that?
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

Italophile

21 Jun 2020

Novation added HUI support for Impulse users - see here

Not sure if it will help as I don't use either macOS or an Impulse.

• Information