RemoteMaps - Possible to select individual tracks via midi controller buttons?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Greescom

17 Jun 2020

I'm using a Korg nanoKontrol2 locked to the master section purely as a mixer (Vol/Pan/M/S). It works pretty great in general using the default mapping but the record button for each channel is set for "Bypass Insert FX". I'd much prefer if the record buttons selected the sequencer track attached to that mixer channel

That way I could easily switch instruments, the rack device would slide into view, and - hopefully - the selected track's button would light up on the nano so I can orient myself in the mixer to easily solo/mute the current channel.

I know about next/previous track selection and I have that working already on my nano, I'm looking for specific track selection.

I just spent four hours learning about remoteMaps but could not figure out a way to achieve this.

Also, if anyone has a list of "remotable items" that would be very helpful, I can't seem to find much documentation.

Thanks.

djsmex

18 Jun 2020

Hi,
You can download remote info files for all reason devices including the master mixer, groove mixer, reason document etc from www.reasonremoter.uk
You can also use the export remote info option from the file menu in reason, which will export the remote info for the currently selected device.
There are two remote items you can try for channel selection:
Remote Base Channel, 1-128
Remote Base Channel Delta, for a delta control with text output
It may need a little luacodec magic to get individual buttons to select mixer channels directly but it should be possible. My thinking is to have a virtual control in the codec that your controller buttons can set its value and the remotemap can use this value with the remote item above.
hope this makes sense

Greescom

18 Jun 2020

Thanks for the reply! Some really useful info to explore.

'Remote Base Channel' is already set up on the nano to skip between banks of faders (1-8, 9-16, etc) works great for this but doesn't do what I'm after here which is exactly the 'Target Next Track' command but targeting specific tracks.

I think you're right about luacodec being the way to go, I'll have a dig in the next few days.

If anyone knows a controller that has buttons selecting specific tracks already implemented let me know, would be easier to reverse engineer it from an existing controller map/codec.

• Information