Combinator Help!!!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

13 Jun 2020

Hi all

Can anyone please tell me if this is possible please?

I have added Redrum and a Beatmap to a combinator. I have mapped the 4 rotaries to each of the 4 density dials on beat map, and the 4 buttons on the combi to the lock buttons.

Ive just seen a technique where you can use a Pulsar to move the x & y parameters of the beatmap. What I am wanting to do is control this via a rotary but I'm currently using all 4 rotaries. Ive seen people mention CV8X4 but not sure how to set that up in this scenario. Is there a way of adding this to my current combi?

Cheers
Graeme

zoidkirb

13 Jun 2020

Use the spare CV inputs on the rear of the combinator.

sdst
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2020

I hope you figure it

graeme75

13 Jun 2020

Thanks for the help. Is it possible for the same rotary on the CV8X4 to control the x and y parameter simultaneously? I thought it might involve a CV merger and splitter but there are no Ins on the CV8X4.

Cheers
Graeme

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2020

Yes it is.

Technically one Knob can control as many parameters as you have slots to program in Combi.

From CV8X4 you have 4 outs for knob so up to 4 CVs can come from every knob before you need start to look at splitters

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

lowtom

13 Jun 2020

Remember that there is also Mod Wheel and Pitch Wheel waiting to be mapped :)
:reason: :refill: :re:

graeme75

14 Jun 2020

Totally forgot about the PW and MW 😁

Benedict - How do I take the 2 cv outputs from each LFO on Pulsar and use the CV8X4?
It’s probably so simple but I can’t seem to figure it

Cheers

rmtcvolte

14 Jun 2020

graeme75 wrote:
14 Jun 2020
Totally forgot about the PW and MW 😁

Benedict - How do I take the 2 cv outputs from each LFO on Pulsar and use the CV8X4?
It’s probably so simple but I can’t seem to figure it

Cheers
Use a Combinator with the CV8X4 in it.
Routing: Pulsar LFO CV out > Combi CV in
Combi programmer: CV In # - CV# (CV8x4)

graeme75

14 Jun 2020

Thanks for the reply. I’m away from PC at the moment but would the combinator be a separate one from the one housing the redrum and the beatmap?

rmtcvolte

14 Jun 2020

graeme75 wrote:
14 Jun 2020
Thanks for the reply. I’m away from PC at the moment but would the combinator be a separate one from the one housing the redrum and the beatmap?
Because you can connect CV from/to every device in the rack, both ways are possible, depends what you like to achive. Advantage to have it in one Combi: you can save the preset for later use, disadvantage: number of CV In's being used for Pulsar are blocked for other connections you may need.

graeme75

14 Jun 2020

Hi all

Im still struggling with the wiring. I would like to assign the levels of LFO 1 and LFO 2 to 1 rotary on the CV8x4 as ive used all 4 rotaries on original combi. I have attached screenshots of front and back

Cheers
Graeme

graeme75

14 Jun 2020

Screenshot 2020-06-14 at 19.40.42.jpg
Screenshot 2020-06-14 at 19.40.42.jpg (623.96 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Screenshot 2020-06-14 at 19.41.39.jpg
Screenshot 2020-06-14 at 19.41.39.jpg (468.71 KiB) Viewed 1555 times

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2020

I am wondering why you would not simply wire the Pulsar CV Outs to the Beatmap X & Y CV Ins?

https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2014/07/2 ... ple-logic/
https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/09/0 ... aking-art/

Benedict Roff-Marsh

graeme75

14 Jun 2020

Hi Benedict if I did that how can I control with 1 rotary? Where would I take the outputs from the x and y beatmap?

Cheers
Graeme

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2020

I am sorry Graeme, you are not being too clear in what you actually want to achieve. This is why things are difficult for you.

From your image you seem to want to have Pulsar (semi) randomly move your XY point. For that, you'd just wire directly as I said.

What exactly do you want to control with "1 Rotary"? What would this rotary do?
Also, I understand that you have used all your Combi Rotary controls. You added the CV Knobs but not a clear sense of what you want them to do for you.

They may seem annoying Q but the answers will answer your Q too.

If you want a knob to control the amount of CV Mod from Pulsar to Beatmap, you need something with a Scaling function. As already noted you can wire Pulsar to the spare CV Ins on Combi then Assign those to Beatmap X & Y. That can provide a static scaling but not a controllable one. You could do the same simply by wiring straight to the Beatmap and using the scaler knobs at the CV Ins.

If you want a Depth (volume) control for the amount of CV coming from Pulsar (how much the X & Y on that map/pad swish around), it would seem to me to make more sense to wire Pulsar to Beatmap X & Y CV Ins. Then CV Knob/s to the Level CV Ins on Pulsar. That knob will now control how much CV signal gets set to Beatmap.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

graeme75

15 Jun 2020

Hi Benedict

Many thanks for your detailed reply. I have attached a little reason document
Combinators.zip
(769.36 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
to hopefully make it more clear, what i am trying to do as I'm quite new to the CV wiring element

Combinator 1
This is my original combinator where all 4 rotaries are assigned to densities and lock of Beatmap

Combinator 2
This is a combinator where I have used 1 rotary to vary the scale of the Pulsar to change the X & Y position

Ideally what i would like is 1 combinator that can do all of the above, but as it stands would need 5 rotaries

Hope Ive made more sense now

Cheers
Graeme

dv8godd

15 Jun 2020

Why not use the Mod Wheel to control the scale of the pulsar? You don't have a fifth knob on the surface for scale, but you don't have another device in the combinator taking advantage of the Mod Wheel.

Attached a combinator modification of your #1.
modifiedCombinator.zip
(2.97 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
- dv8godd

dv8godd

15 Jun 2020

Alternately, if you would prefer to use a knob on a CV8X4 inside the combinator to set the "VARY", run the LFOs directly into the beatmap, wire the CV8X4 into the combinator's CV1 in, then use "CV In 1" as the source for scaling the LFO levels of the pulsar in the programmer.

Attached alternate combinator below.
Attachments
modifiedCombinatorToo.zip
(3.37 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
- dv8godd

graeme75

15 Jun 2020

Cheers dv8godd

I’ll check these out later

Cheers
Graeme

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2020

See Graeme, this appears to be the core of your concern. A Combi has its limits, like anything in reality. You have 4 Knobs, 4 Buttons, 2 Wheels, 4 extra CV Ins. That is it. It is how you work with them that defines your creativity.

I am trying to get you to put your desires into words as words are the way we think, the way we translate our inner worlds to the outer. If you can't/won't put your desire into defined words, you will find it really hard to execute any of your plan, let alone solve the problems as they arise.

Now before you get upset with me, this is how I try to train my kids. They don't like it either. They try standing there until someone does it for them. That is not my job as a parent. My job is to teach them to solve their problems so as adults they can solve things instead of waiting for "the invisible they" to do it for them (commonly at a disadvantage to my kids).

Can you define how you expect that Knob to control the Pulsar-Beatmap interaction? What will it do - from the user perspective?

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information