Authorizer is broke :(

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
raccoonboy

13 Jun 2020

Hi everyone. My authorizer stopped working since I updated to MacOs Catalina.

A few of my REs which were due an upgrade are now unavailable and I can't sync them. It keeps failing.

Is there a new version of authorizer or something?

raccoonboy

13 Jun 2020

It's worth noting I'm on Reason 8. I really hope I'm not forced to upgrade to get my RE's back

robotgard

13 Jun 2020

Last edited by robotgard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

raccoonboy

13 Jun 2020

thanks.. Guess I won't be able to use Reason anymore then :( It worked okay until I tried to update the REs.. Dammit.

I guess I'll wait for v12 before I update.

1reasonable

13 Jun 2020

raccoonboy wrote:
13 Jun 2020
thanks.. Guess I won't be able to use Reason anymore then :( It worked okay until I tried to update the REs.. Dammit.

It’s a hard lesson, but you should go back to your previous MAC OS version ( I presume you have a full backup?). I’ve learned never to upgrade My Mac OS before checking whether Reason will work, or my REs and VSTs. In fact, for me High Sierra is the last OS I’ll be using, as I have a few 32 bit VSTs that I don’t want to lose, and Reason 10 fits the bill for me for the foreseeable future, as it’s as stable as I can hope for.
…………………………………………………………………

:reason: 11.3.6 ,  iMac Intel Core i5 (late 2012) OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

madmacman

13 Jun 2020

1reasonable wrote:
13 Jun 2020
It’s a hard lesson, but you should go back to your previous MAC OS version ( I presume you have a full backup?). I’ve learned never to upgrade My Mac OS before checking whether Reason will work, or my REs and VSTs. In fact, for me High Sierra is the last OS I’ll be using, as I have a few 32 bit VSTs that I don’t want to lose, and Reason 10 fits the bill for me for the foreseeable future, as it’s as stable as I can hope for.
Which translates into "I will probably never buy a Mac again". I bought a new MacBook Pro 16" last November - with Catalina out of the box. It was a tough cut for my collection of VSTs (all 64bit, but many refused to work due to lack of notarization / proper Catalina-signed installers).

Sometimes Apple makes it difficult for us... :(

(oh and as a side note: IF the rumors come true and Apple turns into ARM-based CPU architecture, then probably the musicians are doomed. This will axe most of the no longer actively supported old "treasures".)

DaveyG

13 Jun 2020

Interesting that Recycle is not compatible. I wonder if they will retire it. They are still selling it in the shop and the product page says "Mac OS X 10.5 or later".

raccoonboy

13 Jun 2020

1reasonable wrote:
13 Jun 2020
raccoonboy wrote:
13 Jun 2020

Yeah. My Mac worked like the day I got it in 2014 as I didn't update it. But I had to update to get something working and while it was good to have now waaaay more doesn't work. daaamn. My time machine struggles to backup for some reason. So I didn't bother.. Never mind. Think it's my hard drive.

raccoonboy

13 Jun 2020

UPDATE: Got lucky. I got it working again.

Since it was a problem with the authorizer I downloaded a Reason 11 trial which updated my authoriser. I then successful updated my REs and have now deleted the trial.

Close one!

Aquila

14 Jun 2020

[rackextension][/rackextension]
raccoonboy wrote:
13 Jun 2020
UPDATE: Got lucky. I got it working again.

Since it was a problem with the authorizer I downloaded a Reason 11 trial which updated my authoriser. I then successful updated my REs and have now deleted the trial.

Close one!
What a brilliant idea! Nice...

doze

14 Jun 2020

You could also just download the latest Authorizer, instead of going through all that. 8)

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... r-Download

joeyluck

14 Jun 2020

1reasonable wrote:
13 Jun 2020
raccoonboy wrote:
13 Jun 2020

I just upgraded to Mojave from High Sierra. It's working great!

1reasonable

14 Jun 2020

joeyluck wrote:
14 Jun 2020
1reasonable wrote:
13 Jun 2020

Well, good for you Joeyluck !

Unfortunately for me, in addition to the 32bit thing, my iMac is also on the list as the minimum spec that Mojave will run OK with. Past experience has taught me “minimum requirements” is a red flag, and upgrading OSes don’t always go smoothly when your machine is in this bracket. The last thing I need is a new OS (that I’m not sure what benefits it brings to the table for me) that chugs along on my iMac, and that may lose me some of my 32bit apps.

Still, if it works for you, then that’s brilliant!

raccoonboy

14 Jun 2020

doze wrote:
14 Jun 2020
You could also just download the latest Authorizer, instead of going through all that. 8)

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... r-Download
Hahah. I looked for that everywhere and couldn't find it. Oh well :)

joeyluck

14 Jun 2020

1reasonable wrote:
14 Jun 2020
joeyluck wrote:
14 Jun 2020

Unfortunately for me, in addition to the 32bit thing, my iMac is also on the list as the minimum spec that Mojave will run OK with. Past experience has taught me “minimum requirements” is a red flag, and upgrading OSes don’t always go smoothly when your machine is in this bracket. The last thing I need is a new OS (that I’m not sure what benefits it brings to the table for me) that chugs along on my iMac, and that may lose me some of my 32bit apps.

Perhaps you are confusing Mojave with Catalina? Mojave doesn't remove 32-bit support. What are your specs?

https://cdm.link/2020/05/how-to-update- ... -catalina/

moneykube

14 Jun 2020

my laptop runs mountain lion and reason 10... although I should be able to upgrade os... the 5 times I tried 5 different new operating systems, my computer loses it's mind every time and I lose functionality on many fronts(each try followed by a month of trouble shooting)... Sierra actually caused the computer to get extremely hot (heat could be feltt using keyboard and fan was always in overdrive... mouse started acting up and much more... even did it while apple watched .... I ended up getting a Mac mini to run 11... ;lesson... only upgrade if absolutely necessary :exclamation:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

1reasonable

14 Jun 2020

joeyluck wrote:
14 Jun 2020
1reasonable wrote:
14 Jun 2020

Perhaps you are confusing Mojave with Catalina? Mojave doesn't remove 32-bit support. What are your specs?

https://cdm.link/2020/05/how-to-update- ... -catalina/
No confusion here matey! :roll:
FYI I checked my specs on the Apple support site.

Not interested in Mojave, thanks anyway!

1reasonable

14 Jun 2020

moneykube wrote:
14 Jun 2020
my laptop runs mountain lion and reason 10... although I should be able to upgrade os... the 5 times I tried 5 different new operating systems, my computer loses it's mind every time and I lose functionality on many fronts(each try followed by a month of trouble shooting)... Sierra actually caused the computer to get extremely hot (heat could be feltt using keyboard and fan was always in overdrive... mouse started acting up and much more... even did it while apple watched .... I ended up getting a Mac mini to run 11... ;lesson... only upgrade if absolutely necessary :exclamation:
Well said! :thumbs_up:

joeyluck

14 Jun 2020

moneykube wrote:
14 Jun 2020
only upgrade if absolutely necessary :exclamation:
Yeah I agree with this. I have an 'early 2015' MacBook Air (2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM). I only upgraded to Mojave this past week because of software that requires it. I researched and all of the reports showed no problems and it's been great.
1reasonable wrote:
14 Jun 2020
No confusion here matey! :roll:
FYI I checked my specs on the Apple support site.

Not interested in Mojave, thanks anyway!
Gotcha. Sorry, I misread what you were saying about 32-bit support.

Mojave doesn't add too much:

- Metal graphics library for modern 3D graphics support
- Dark Mode UI
- Stacks on desktop
- Improved Finder
- Improved Mac App Store
- Frequent security updates (even though it isn’t the latest OS)

I'm getting some use out of Stacks, because I tend to be a bit messy during projects lol. I do organize things neatly into folders, but my desktop sometimes becomes my workshop. Dark mode is cool and works well sometimes when I'm at work in a dark theatre.

If it was just as easy to revert macOS versions, I'd recommend to anybody giving Mojave a shot. But I think reverting requires a clean install.

I'd love to have the Sidecar feature of Catalina, but I'm definitely avoiding Catalina for now.

moneykube

16 Jun 2020

joeyluck wrote:
14 Jun 2020
If it was just as easy to revert macOS versions, I'd recommend to anybody giving Mojave a shot. But I think reverting requires a clean install. I'd love to have the Sidecar feature of Catalina, but I'm definitely avoiding Catalina for now.
I must have been lucky... updated to 5 OS's... so far I have been able to revert back to mountain lion on Yosemite, ElCapitan , Mojave, Sierra... and High Sierra (there may be a few more I tried, but forget names)

joeyluck

16 Jun 2020

moneykube wrote:
16 Jun 2020
joeyluck wrote:
14 Jun 2020
If it was just as easy to revert macOS versions, I'd recommend to anybody giving Mojave a shot. But I think reverting requires a clean install. I'd love to have the Sidecar feature of Catalina, but I'm definitely avoiding Catalina for now.
I must have been lucky... updated to 5 OS's... so far I have been able to revert back to mountain lion on Yosemite, ElCapitan , Mojave, Sierra... and High Sierra (there may be a few more I tried, but forget names)
I wasn't sure how reverting back worked. I've never had to do it. The article I linked spoke of needing to do a clean install. How did it work for you?

moneykube

16 Jun 2020

joeyluck wrote:
16 Jun 2020
moneykube wrote:
16 Jun 2020

I wasn't sure how reverting back worked. I've never had to do it. The article I linked spoke of needing to do a clean install. How did it work for you?
reverted at least 10 times through the years and never found an issue yet... doesn't mean there were no issues... I just never discovered them yet... I read as a computer ages, the risk you will not even be able to revert increases... "apple says :puf_wink: "

joeyluck

16 Jun 2020

moneykube wrote:
16 Jun 2020
joeyluck wrote:
16 Jun 2020

reverted at least 10 times through the years and never found an issue yet... doesn't mean there were no issues... I just never discovered them yet... I read as a computer ages, the risk you will not even be able to revert increases... "apple says :puf_wink: "
So did you not have to do a clean install?

moneykube

16 Jun 2020

joeyluck wrote:
16 Jun 2020
So did you not have to do a clean install?
never have.... from the purchase date... not in like 6 or so years... still working fine for reason 10 and all other apps

• Information