Sending Program Change to Maschine in Reason; is it possible?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

04 Jun 2020

Hey everyone! I've been messing around with using Maschine in my Reason projects - really cool. So far my workflow varies between automating scene changes with MIDI, and just creating loops as I need them and dragging them out from Maschine onto the timeline as audio. One thing I'd like to be able to do is sequence the active group with my MIDI controller but when MIDI scene change is active, MIDI input is disabled. It's re-enabled if you use PG but there's no way to send that message in Reason. Any ideas? I'm thinking some kind of MIDI loopback thing but, I've not set that up before.

Sterioevo

04 Jun 2020

You are on a Mac?
If so create a virtual IAC bus, name it something. This is done in the audio/midi settings.
Then create a "generic" midi controller in Reason with this virtual port, this will allow you to send midi with the Midi Out to the virtual port, which can then be allocated to a Remote Override for these messages back into Reason.
That's about it. There are other more elaborate things you can do but this will get you going. Bear to n mind that you will need to manage latency by sending messages slightly ahead of the timeline to get program changes happen when you want.

chimp_spanner

04 Jun 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
04 Jun 2020
You are on a Mac?
If so create a virtual IAC bus, name it something. This is done in the audio/midi settings.
Then create a "generic" midi controller in Reason with this virtual port, this will allow you to send midi with the Midi Out to the virtual port, which can then be allocated to a Remote Override for these messages back into Reason.
That's about it. There are other more elaborate things you can do but this will get you going. Bear to n mind that you will need to manage latency by sending messages slightly ahead of the timeline to get program changes happen when you want.
I am on a Mac yes! Excellent info - I shall mess around with this tonight. I mean it's not essential. More a case of wondering if and how it can be done. Changing with MIDI notes is really quick and accurate (no latency issues to overcome). But it'd still be nice to program melodic parts on the Maschine using my keyboard. Anyway thanks for the advice. I'll have a go :)

madmacman

04 Jun 2020

Probably already answered by Sterioevo, but here's another gem for Macs:

http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html

It's a Midi modification / manipulation tool, but also offers virtual Midi ports. And it's super easy for re-routing Midi keyboards to different destinations.

Definitely worth a try!

Sterioevo

04 Jun 2020

Midi Pipe is good, Midi Patchbay is pretty handy too - http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/. As is Midi Monitor for troubleshooting/helping with configuration - https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/. I haven't updated to Catalina though...

madmacman

04 Jun 2020

Never heard of Midi Patchbay. Looks good! :thumbs_up:

Unfortunately, I'm on Catalina (that's what my current Mac was shipped with) and Midi Patchbay claims compatibility up to 10.14.

It even took MidiPipe some updates to run without issues on Catalina.

Goriila Texas

04 Jun 2020

My next computer might be a Mac because of this versatility.

Sterioevo wrote:
04 Jun 2020
You are on a Mac?

• Information