Combinator mix channel name reverts to generic name?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
zero-13

01 Jun 2020

I've had this weird issue for a while at least since Reason 10 that I first noticed it, not a huge deal but still annoying as I don't usually notice right away and I'm not sure if it's even preventable, most likely something I'm doing.

So I'll have a combinator with a Line Mixer 6:2 and an instrument or several.

in the Insert FX of the mix channel I'll have and instance of Pro-Q3.

Everything will then have the same custom name i.e. the mix channel, the VST device containing Pro-Q3 and the instance name within Pro-Q3 itself, all with the same name.

I'll then side chain into Pro-Q3 via the VST container and as soon as I cable it up, the mix channel name in the SSL and the rack gets renamed to a genric "Mix Channel" :shock:

Oddly (to me at least, might be very obvious why) enough, the track down in the sequencer does not get renamed, nor does the combinator in the rack itself, only the mix channel in the rack and SSL.

Not a huge deal, just mildly perplexing and a bit annoying, this almost certainly PEBCAC on my part but I just don't know and would love to correct it if I can?

Benedict
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2020

Yes, Mix Channels tend to be auto named based on what is plugged into them. Makes sense in itself but not necessarily to you in the context of the maze of wiring you are creating.

Reason is seeing the signal coming in and assuming that is changing what it the Input for that mix Channel.

I can't really understand without an image but it may be worth making a short screen recording of this very event, showing the change and what you do to make it happen and a) show it here, b) show it to RS as it may be a wee bug based on some layers of changes that have occurred with VSTs since the SSL appeared.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

zero-13

02 Jun 2020

Thank you for thinking about this and sharing some insight, I know these new guy questions can be very odd to say the least lol.

This makes sense, sort of, however this also makes wonder if it's perhaps related to another weird issue I've noticed from time to time.

Sometimes when I use combinators, the combinator itself will somehow become "ungrouped" from the mix channel in the rack.

So normally if you drag a Mix Channel around the rack the combinator will go with it, but every now and then, I'm not sure how but this grouping will break and the combinator becomes, "detached" or "ungrouped" from the mix channel.

I suspect that somehow this (better known as I) might be dissociating things between the combi and the mix channel and potentially leading to this otherwise normal auto-naming behavior that you outlined?

I'm even more convinced it's something I'm doing, as I made a fresh setup and this time it did not occur, so I think it's just a typical case of the new guy grinding through the gears and burning up the clutch. :redface:

Benedict
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2020

I think it may be that exactly that is the case.

Yes devices do sometimes become separated from each other, I manage it from time to time. Device grouping is based on pretty simplistic (not-even) A.I. so it can't be that hard to confuse with less-than standard human behaviors, esp those outside of the anticipated rule structure based on standard usage.

Wiring that crosses device chains is probably a common enough factor (Combi will tend to show a warning).

This may help you a bit: https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/05/2 ... organized/

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

zero-13

03 Jun 2020

Benedict wrote:
02 Jun 2020
I think it may be that exactly that is the case.

Yes devices do sometimes become separated from each other, I manage it from time to time. Device grouping is based on pretty simplistic (not-even) A.I. so it can't be that hard to confuse with less-than standard human behaviors, esp those outside of the anticipated rule structure based on standard usage.

Wiring that crosses device chains is probably a common enough factor (Combi will tend to show a warning).

This may help you a bit: https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/05/2 ... organized/

Thank you, very useful advice and information indeed, also the Spectre Sound Studios video at the end of the post is priceless... Mike, Steve, and Dave lol! :D

• Information