Locking midi tempo

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Whirlwind

01 Jun 2020

Hi guys

I like to record my first midi track without using click tempo and any bar lines as a guide.

I’ve discovered that i cannot lock the tempo of that track when using the tap function to find out the tempo of that track.

I do not want to bounce to audio at this stage because it’s just a raw midi with no effects etc.
Is there a way to lock the first midi track I’ve recorded so it does not change when I use the tap button to figure out its original tempo? I’m sure I remember there being is a way

Thanks guys

Reasonable man

01 Jun 2020

If you 'Bounce in place' it dosn't destroy or replace your original midi track ...just mutes it . You need an audio track to do what you want here so bounce it ...find tempo.... and then delete audio track again.

selig
RE Developer

01 Jun 2020

Or you can open a new song file, playing the first song file while tapping the tempo on the new file. Then you can simply type in the value in the first song file. Then you'll need to stretch the MIDI clip (hold option while stretching on a Mac) to line up with the bars as close as possible.
Selig Audio, LLC

Benedict
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2020

Yes, Tempo mapping of the DAW click to rubato performances would be a feature request for Reason. One I would like to see happen.
Along with its related VideoSync for film scoring.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Whirlwind

02 Jun 2020

Reasonable man wrote:
01 Jun 2020
If you 'Bounce in place' it dosn't destroy or replace your original midi track ...just mutes it . You need an audio track to do what you want here so bounce it ...find tempo.... and then delete audio track again.
Thanks for your replies guys

Unfortunately the method above achieves the same outcome I was getting: everytime I start tapping tap button the tempo changes of the audio track.

I’m about 90% sure there is a way to do this, to lock the tempo of a midi or bounced audio track, then use the tap button to find its tempo without changing the original tempo (what a mouthful) but can’t seem to find the method.

Any other suggestions guys?

Reasonable man

02 Jun 2020

Whirlwind wrote:
02 Jun 2020
Reasonable man wrote:
01 Jun 2020
Thanks for your replies guys

Unfortunately the method above achieves the same outcome I was getting: everytime I start tapping tap button the tempo changes of the audio track.

I’m about 90% sure there is a way to do this, to lock the tempo of a midi or bounced audio track, then use the tap button to find its tempo without changing the original tempo (what a mouthful) but can’t seem to find the method.

I wish i was 100 % clear on the apprach your using . But if your getting reason to find (basically follow) the tempo of an audio track you have to right click and 'disable stretch' on the audio file your trying to fing the tempo of . When you find that tempo (by tapping or increasiong reasonms tempo) you have to 'bounce to new recording' by right clicking again . then when its bounced to new recording right click and 'enable stretch ' again. As selig says its prob better to do that in a new project.

Reasonable man

02 Jun 2020

As i say since i can't figue out what it is exactly thats going on (apolgies) hopefully this video may shed some light.
The difference here is that this dude is trying to find the tempo of a loop , in your case it appears to be a long midi file (which will have to be bounced to audio to find the tempo anyway). instead of moving the reason tempo manually ..you will be 'tapping; the tempo manually. I hope this solves it

selig
RE Developer

02 Jun 2020

Whirlwind wrote:
02 Jun 2020
Did you try my suggestions of simply opening a second file to do the tap tempo while the first file plays?
Are you looking for a static tempo?
Selig Audio, LLC

Whirlwind

03 Jun 2020

Thanks guys great help

I ended up the bouncing and disabling stretch method which has worked. However opening the other song file is also one way to do it, but this again would mean I would have to the above anyway.

Would be cool if this was built in on midi but not sure if possible. Do other Daws have this as standard?

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2020

Thre are a few DAWs that have tools for helping create a MIDI Tempo Map based on a rubato performance. Generally, it is seen as a really high-end feature used only by top film composers, etc so it doesn't appear in the lower end of the market which is a crying shame.

If I recall correctly Digital Performer was one of the first to really get something that worked in about '99. Opcode Vision may have had something like that in the Studio version - or they would have soon if Gibson hadn't done a Gibson on them. After that time the whole market became obsessed with Audio and MIDI took a back seat so that things that Vision could do are still rare in DAWs. I assume Logic has something similar by now. Maybe Cubase too.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information