reason 11 in Ableton

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
livemike

01 Jun 2020

Hi I'm trying to use the reason players to control other plugins in Ableton.
Specifically Beatmap controlling NI's Battery 4. No luck. In Ableton Reason rack is on midi track 1 Battery on midi track 2 receiving midi from track 1. I watched a propellarheads vid where it worked with the two track 2 "midi from" slots set to "reason rack plugin". However I don't get those two options i can set the first slot to reason but the second only to pre or post fx. Not sure if that is the problem or something else I'm not doing right. Hope someone can help.
P.S. one other issue when i start a player in reason standalone it always comes with a ID8 piano attached anyway to prevent that? Very annoying.
thanks

chimp_spanner

01 Jun 2020

Hey - you didn’t say if you were Mac or PC? If you’re Mac, make sure you’re using the VST and not AU. Same thing happened to me a while ago. Otherwise I’d need to see a screenshot of how it’s all set up.

Players can’t exist without instruments. The ID8 auto create feature was added a little while ago to allow you to start with a Player first, and at least get some sound out of it. If you could turn the option off, then all that would happen is you wouldn’t be able to create a player at all until you put it above an existing device.

DaveyG

01 Jun 2020

Not sure what's going on there. It just works in Live for me.
livemike wrote:
01 Jun 2020
P.S. one other issue when i start a player in reason standalone it always comes with a ID8 piano attached anyway to prevent that? Very annoying.
thanks
If you put an instrument in the rack first then drag a player onto it you get what you want. If you drag a player first it adds ID8 because a player can't exist in the rack without an instrument. Earlier versions of Reason would not let you drag a player first, which caused a different type of confusion! (And I'd really like it if drum players would default to a drum instrument).

Sterioevo

01 Jun 2020

You need a Midi Out instrument in the chain (i.e. instead of the ID8).

livemike

01 Jun 2020

Thanks for the responses I’m on Mac and was using AU I haven’t had a chance to check yet but I’m guessing that was the problem. Cheers.

chimp_spanner

01 Jun 2020

livemike wrote:
01 Jun 2020
Thanks for the responses I’m on Mac and was using AU I haven’t had a chance to check yet but I’m guessing that was the problem. Cheers.
No problem! Glad that sorted it :) I was struggling with the same thing for ages because I was trying to keep everything as AU (for no real reason other than consistency). But apparently MIDI out is not supported by the format. Not in Ableton at least. I swear Studio One can do it but they might be using some kind of translation thing. Anyway glad it's working. Have fun!

Dave Beep

01 Jun 2020

To confirm: just create a player in the rack vst (in the plugin version of Reason it creates a midi out device instead of ID8) then in the Ableton device section, just drop your other device in the chain after Reason. That works for me.

• Information