Reason VST not receiving control knob midi

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Dave Beep

31 May 2020

Hi,

I am using Reason 11 VST with Ableton Live 10.

I have a midi keyboard with 4 control knobs on it. Within Reason standalone, these are recognised fine - they are automatically mapped to some useful paramters (eg Filter Cutoff, Filter Res, Amp Attack, Amp Release on subtractor). I can obviously then use remote overide to change them if I need.

In Ableton Live, it seems like only the keyboard notes/velocity and the pitch and mod wheels are received by the rack VST device. The control knobs are not doing anything. They work fine for other 3rd party VSTs in Ableton Live however, so this seems to be a specific Reason issue.

(Obviously I can then map individual paramaters and configure them in Remote from Ableton, but that's not what I am looking for and will mean that the knobs are permanently locked to a specific device, not changing whichever one I am controlling).

Is this a known limitiation or somethign I am missing.

Thanks for any help!

Dave Beep

01 Jun 2020

So I went back to the manual, and it seems silent on this issue.

Can anybody else confirm this for me? It's pretty simple so long as you have Ableton 10 and Reason 11 some sort of controller with knobs on.

- Load up Ableton
- Drop a Reason Rack VST to an empty midi channel
- Create a subtractor
- Play keys, mod wheel, pitchbend - all works
- Try using any of the knobs to tweak other parameters - doesn't work.

My guess is that this is a deliberate limitation because the midi is sent to all devices in the rack, so it would get pretty messed up if you were accidentally tweaking paramaters on all devices at the same time. Should be pretty easy to solve though. Just needs an appropriate checkbox for the rack devices to allow/disallow them to accept midi messages.

Surprised this hasn't come up before, because it's a frustrating limitation.

DaveyG

02 Jun 2020

Dave Beep wrote:
01 Jun 2020
So I went back to the manual, and it seems silent on this issue.

Can anybody else confirm this for me? It's pretty simple so long as you have Ableton 10 and Reason 11 some sort of controller with knobs on.

- Load up Ableton
- Drop a Reason Rack VST to an empty midi channel
- Create a subtractor
- Play keys, mod wheel, pitchbend - all works
- Try using any of the knobs to tweak other parameters - doesn't work.

My guess is that this is a deliberate limitation because the midi is sent to all devices in the rack, so it would get pretty messed up if you were accidentally tweaking paramaters on all devices at the same time. Should be pretty easy to solve though. Just needs an appropriate checkbox for the rack devices to allow/disallow them to accept midi messages.

Surprised this hasn't come up before, because it's a frustrating limitation.
In Live I tend to just map things on the fly. I used to spend hours mapping controls in various DAWs and VSTs but I've realised that the best way for me is to just map the two or three controls I want to use there and then, do the job then move on. I could never remember which knob does what anyway so this suits me better. I realise that doesn't solve your problem though!

Dave Beep

03 Jun 2020

Yes that's what I am doing. Problem is that by using remote mapping in Ableton, the knob is locked onto that parameter on that device, you cant just disable the midi in the channel or move to other channels to use the same knob to control something else on other devices.

I just want all the controllers to work the same way as the mod wheel to be honest. I don't think this is good implementation by Reason Studios and seems a relatively simple thing to improve in an update (fingers crossed). All my other vsts recognise midi messages from controllers without needing to have remote mapping in the host, no reason that Reason should be different.

• Information