Scenic Hybrid Instrument manual?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Southgate

28 May 2020

Is there one...I can't seem to find one?

Noiserunner

28 May 2020

At the Reason Studios website you can download all the documentation for the additional Reason Suite devices:
https://a.phcdn.se/Reason11/Manuals/Rea ... anuals.zip

There should be a chapter for Scenic, too.
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 May 2020

Noiserunner wrote:
28 May 2020
At the Reason Studios website you can download all the documentation for the additional Reason Suite devices:
https://a.phcdn.se/Reason11/Manuals/Rea ... anuals.zip

There should be a chapter for Scenic, too.
Seems like Scenic isn't included in there.

Southgate

28 May 2020

Ah....Suite additional manuals....many thanks!

S

Imaginary191
Competition Winner

28 May 2020

There is no Scenic manual in that Reason_11_Suite_Additional_Manuals.zip.

DaveyG

28 May 2020

I can confirm it's not in there. I read the OP and confidently went to my folder of extra Suite manuals to get a copy. Nada haha.

Imaginary191
Competition Winner

28 May 2020

No manual for Scenic is a shame. I really want to have a proper explanation of onboard effects how it is intended by developers.

Southgate

28 May 2020

Any other places it might be?

Imaginary191
Competition Winner

28 May 2020

Created ticket about this, waiting for answer.
Upd. There is no scenic manual.

Southgate

29 May 2020

Well...got a reply from RS...

Strangely enough....there is no manual according to Fredrik @ RS and they have no plans to produce one....

S

jlgrimes

30 May 2020

Southgate wrote:
29 May 2020
Well...got a reply from RS...

Strangely enough....there is no manual according to Fredrik @ RS and they have no plans to produce one....

S
Man they should make one. That was one of their most promoted devices during the update cycle.

Hopefully their plan is to do either a webpage or YouTube video like manual.

mjxl

02 Jun 2020

I just got this device (Reason Suite \o/) and starting exploring it a bit.

I'd like to say, holy shit.. But, that doesn't quite cut it.

Maybe it's an idea to create a manual as a community effort? I mean there's nothing stopping us from doing that.

jlgrimes

03 Jun 2020

mjxl wrote:
02 Jun 2020
I just got this device (Reason Suite \o/) and starting exploring it a bit.

I'd like to say, holy shit.. But, that doesn't quite cut it.

Maybe it's an idea to create a manual as a community effort? I mean there's nothing stopping us from doing that.
It isnt.

I even seen cases of devices with a manual where users go out their way to create a more in depth manual.

DaveyG

03 Jun 2020

That is really strange isn't it. Their "flagship" device for Reason Suite and they didn't bother to document it.

Southgate

03 Jun 2020

I was surprised that it had no manual....practically every device has one or it is covered in the Operation Manual since forever....

Are we (users) legally permitted to produce manuals regarding a company's product? I have never thought of producing something like that...but the exact thought crossed my mind when I heard that RS weren't gonna make one!

I wanted to learn more about the granular engine and what features were available and how it compared to Grain...

I too only got Suite 11 a couple of days ago and Scenic was one synth I'd been looking forward to. I had a bit of a shock whist fiddling with my own sample loaded...Reason crashed on me. It hasn't happened since 9.2. I have also had problems with Scenic and Remote coding. The code that goes with my Novation Launchkey worked like a charm for the past versions. Now I have added Scenic....it worked for 2 days then stopped...without me changing any code...ok I'm going off topic...

Would still like to have a manual and to know whether we can produce one without infringing on copyright etc. .

S

Yonatan

04 Jun 2020

Seems that Scenic got late in rush hour deadline and then on to next priorities. A manual would be handy. But a clearcut walkthrough video would be enough, just explaining the interface by those developing it. Other than that, I am overall impressed by the good manuals by RS through the years, and especially the Reason manual. Very good source.

DaveyG

04 Jun 2020

They can't copyright what does not exists. Anyone can write a manual/guide to anything without asking permission unless you use their photos or text. You could even sell it if you want. What you cannot do is claim that the end result is the official manual

Southgate

04 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
04 Jun 2020
They can't copyright what does not exists. Anyone can write a manual/guide to anything without asking permission unless you use their photos or text. You could even sell it if you want. What you cannot do is claim that the end result is the official manual
Images would be prefered as just text is limited...so that might be problem! A good video tutorial would be nice..but I don't have the setup for that.

DaveyG

04 Jun 2020

Southgate wrote:
04 Jun 2020
DaveyG wrote:
04 Jun 2020
Images would be prefered as just text is limited...so that might be problem! A good video tutorial would be nice..but I don't have the setup for that.
You can take screenshots but what you can't do, without permission, is use any pics or words from the RS site. Just think of all the thousands of "learn Microsoft Word" type books you can get.

Southgate

04 Jun 2020

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... instrument

There are a couple of vids but not as in depth as they could be...more a showcase of the instrument.

I am enjoying Scenic...I watched a video on NI 's Straylight and thought hey Scenic is similar and then the nice thing is...that we can throw it in a combinator with x-amount of synths and fx to create a monster! :-)

S

jlgrimes

04 Jun 2020

Yonatan wrote:
04 Jun 2020
Seems that Scenic got late in rush hour deadline and then on to next priorities. A manual would be handy. But a clearcut walkthrough video would be enough, just explaining the interface by those developing it. Other than that, I am overall impressed by the good manuals by RS through the years, and especially the Reason manual. Very good source.
It seems weird though that even though they didn't get to the manual yet that they don't plan on ever making one. Or maybe an official in depth Video Manual. It probably would even help sell the device to more users if they knew exactly what it could do and its capabilities.

Yonatan

04 Jun 2020

jlgrimes wrote:
04 Jun 2020
Yonatan wrote:
04 Jun 2020
It seems weird though that even though they didn't get to the manual yet that they don't plan on ever making one. Or maybe an official in depth Video Manual. It probably would even help sell the device to more users if they knew exactly what it could do and its capabilities.
Agree it sounds a bit strange.

Steedus
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2020

I know this is extreme, and probably unfair thinking, but I was hoping that we might get a future update with a few more sound source options but it sounds as if it's already well in the rear view mirror for RS (It's great there's sample load but I like to work in the box with stock sounds a lot of the time).

The future of this company is going to be fascinating. Are they winding down? Are they scraping by before the next influx of new users? Is this all part of plan? Regardless I'll still be a Reason user well into the future, even if it's eventually discontinued and falls into legacy-ware.

• Information