melodyne 5...vs what stock Reason has

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome

27 May 2020

melodyne 5...vs what stock Reason has

is melodyne 5 on another level? can you tell me why

i'm contemplating to sit and watch some 2-3 hours of tutorials on it...

Oquasec

27 May 2020

Every stock plugin in every daw that does that is probably ass by comparison.
Variaudio
Live
Newtone
Pitch editor are all monophonic signals only.
---
Melodyne isn't limited because it's nothing else but the expanded version of those stock plugins
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

27 May 2020

Melodyne editor and studio way above, poly editing.
Essential somewhat better, that is if you need to fix bass or other non vocal things.

I have not yet checked all new features, but the chord track seems like a good idea.
FL Studio/Cubase IIRC is using the Zplane algo so they sound better than Melodyne, but I suppose v5 has sound improvements over v4.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

27 May 2020

By the way. Melodyne 5 DOES NOT WORK in Reason Windows. It is VST3, AAX, AU.
They also dropped Rewire and 32 bit.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

DaveyG

27 May 2020

Melodyne has always been way better than the built-in pitch stiff in Reason and other DAWs, which shouldn't be a surprise really!

The new levelling tool is superb. It's going to save me loads of time with raw, inexperienced vocals. It can automatically boost or cut individual syllables to get a more consistent starting point for all the other processing.
The sibilance tool is new too but not in my Essentials version which is a shame.

As BB says above, it will not integrate with Reason at all but it does come as standalone so you can load up your vocals, sort out the levels and the notes then drag them back into Reason for further tweaking. One day Reason will get VST3 and the workflow will much improve!

madmacman

27 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
27 May 2020
One day Reason will get VST3 and the workflow will much improve!
For a smooth experience, Reason also needs to support ARA(2) for this.

DaveyG

27 May 2020

madmacman wrote:
27 May 2020
DaveyG wrote:
27 May 2020
One day Reason will get VST3 and the workflow will much improve!
I absolutely agree but I wonder if I'll still be alive by then!

madmacman

27 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
27 May 2020
madmacman wrote:
27 May 2020

I absolutely agree but I wonder if I'll still be alive by then!
:lol:

miscend

27 May 2020

Not tried version 5 yet. But with v4 I preferred the monophonic pitch editing in Reason for vocals on my own tests. The last few releases of Melodyne were heavily focused on the DNA and ARA, the mono algorithm had fallen behind competition. But if you need polyphonic pitch editing then Melodyne has no competition whatsoever as far as I'm aware.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

27 May 2020

miscend wrote:
27 May 2020
Not tried version 5 yet. But with v4 I preferred the monophonic pitch editing in Reason for vocals on my own tests. The last few releases of Melodyne were heavily focused on the DNA and ARA, the mono algorithm had fallen behind competition. But if you need polyphonic pitch editing then Melodyne has no competition whatsoever as far as I'm aware.
Actually i did some tests, and reason muffles the top end on vocals. It's not a big matter overall, so i end up using reason's pitch edit but for some instruments or female vocals i tend to use melodyne 4 because of the brilliance. A thing i miss though in reason's pitch edit, is the ability to make second voices with the scale on.

I think if reason supported ara and vst3 I'd invest in melodyne 5 but with current state of things, using melodyne for every track is SO CUMBERSOME even with the vst integration. Oh well...

zero-13

28 May 2020

Is Autotune comparable to Melodyne or rather, do they have any distinct differences?

Just general curiosity to be filed away for a future me, can Reason do everything or most of what these plugins do maybe much more manually, or not at all, it seems like it can but maybe I’m misunderstanding?

miscend

29 May 2020

Actually I take back what I said earlier, there is Hit’n’Mix Infinity which always seems to flow under the radar despite getting rave reviews. It's more closer to a traditional audio editor than Melodyne but seems quite a bit more interesting. And you can edit the notes/chords in individual instruments within a mixed audio file.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/hitnmix-infinity

https://hitnmix.com

enossified

29 May 2020

zero-13 wrote:
28 May 2020
Is Autotune comparable to Melodyne or rather, do they have any distinct differences?
Melodyne is still the only polyphonic pitch correction. That's pretty distinct ;)

DaveyG

29 May 2020

enossified wrote:
29 May 2020
zero-13 wrote:
28 May 2020
Melodyne is still the only polyphonic pitch correction. That's pretty distinct ;)
TBH the polyphonic thing is a bit of a gimmick imo. It's OK but only works well with a very limited range of material. In my experience it frustrates more than it inspires.

Autotune and Melodyne both major on correcting vocal tuning. Yes, you can do other stuff with them but vocals are their main thing and they are both very good at it. I've used both over the years and I prefer Melodyne but it is just a preference. In my view they blow away Reason's pitch correction but you'd expect that wouldn't you? It would be weird if the "free" built-in thing in Reason is better than the two market leaders.

Oh, and Autotune is better for the Cher thing, if you have a taste for that insanely successful abomination of a record. A great hook turned into a less great hook that got more attention. Does that make it a greater hook?

zero-13

29 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
29 May 2020
enossified wrote:
29 May 2020

TBH the polyphonic thing is a bit of a gimmick imo. It's OK but only works well with a very limited range of material. In my experience it frustrates more than it inspires.

Autotune and Melodyne both major on correcting vocal tuning. Yes, you can do other stuff with them but vocals are their main thing and they are both very good at it. I've used both over the years and I prefer Melodyne but it is just a preference. In my view they blow away Reason's pitch correction but you'd expect that wouldn't you? It would be weird if the "free" built-in thing in Reason is better than the two market leaders.

Oh, and Autotune is better for the Cher thing, if you have a taste for that insanely successful abomination of a record. A great hook turned into a less great hook that got more attention. Does that make it a greater hook?
Awesome informative replies, thank you!

• Information