i'm trying to understand when to move on to another synth......

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome

26 May 2020

So we use (simple SUBTRACTIVE SYNTHESIS like Sylenth1) for basic waveform shapes...

then we move on to (WAVEFORM SYNTHSIS like Serum if we need more waveform shapes, and evolving waveform shapes)

can you carry on the same kind of flow as above and explain me why you would move on to other type of synths?

Thanks!

antic604

26 May 2020

samsome wrote:
26 May 2020
So we use (simple SUBTRACTIVE SYNTHESIS like Sylenth1) for basic waveform shapes...

then we move on to (WAVEFORM SYNTHSIS like Serum if we need more waveform shapes, and evolving waveform shapes)

can you carry on the same kind of flow as above and explain me why you would move on to other type of synths?

Thanks!
That's a total misconception. You can do complex, evolving sounds in subtractive synth like Sylenth1 and simple, basic waveform stuff in wavetable synth like Serum.

The idea of "evolving" or "complex" is a matter of layering sounds, applying modulation to them (changing their parameters over time with modulators, envelopes, LFOs, etc.) and adding - static or dynamic - effects.

I'm sure whatever synth you choose you'll find patches representing both extremes and everything in between.

If there's anything in this line of thinking, then granular synths - like Grain, Proton, Arkane from the RE world - are typically used for evolving, morphing sounds because of the specifics of this type of synthesis, i.e. they sound "bad" if the playhead stays in place. But any other type, i.e. subtractive, additive, FM/PM, wavetable they're good for whatever sounds.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

jlgrimes

27 May 2020

samsome wrote:
26 May 2020

Thanks!
I don't think this is a question anyone can really answer for you.

If you are a programmer, I'm guessing which synth would save you more time. If you need movement, maybe you would start on Wavetable. But on the other hand some folks might not be pressed for time or even would enjoy the challenge of making something analog sounding on a digital FM synth (and might possibly get you into new territory on the way). It also comes down to what would inspire you. If you used Sylenth for years and is tired of looking at it, you might be refreshed on something like Serum (or vice versa) and might force you to think and listen a little differently.

QVprod

27 May 2020

Judging from a lot of your posts, you're over thinking it. On a basic level most synths have very similar functionality. Play around and experiment. There's no need to focus on 'mastering' a synth unless you want to specifically be a synth programmer. Best way to learn is to do. That goes for everything. There is no specified rulebook for making music.

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 May 2020

You don't have to work your way through every type of synthesis at all. That is kinda like saying to your wife, "I've been with you for 3 years now and I like you fine but I have to work my way through every woman on the planet". Tempting I know, but not at all necessary (not to mention expensive).

Work with what you have and get to know it super well. Subtractor alone is a wealth of synth with lots of options for variety. Same again with Thor & Europa.

Only learn FM or Additive (real additive, not these Instagram ones) or Granular if you feel the call. The call is not "oh I have to use em all so I can say I am a master". Being a Master in Sub alone is better than dabbling in everything and not really getting synthesis at all.

Then again, maybe you aren't a Synthesist and just like using Presets. That is ok. If that is the case but you want to grow in the sound dept, invest in a relationship with a Synthesist. Jarre & Trent Reznor do/did. Larry Fast & the TONTO guys made a living off doing that very thing for many acts.

:-)
Last edited by Benedict on 28 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Biolumin3sc3nt

27 May 2020

Benedict wrote:
27 May 2020
You don't have to work your way through every type of synthesis at all. That is kinda like saying to your wife, "I've been with you for 3 years now and I like you fine but I have to work my way through every woman on the planet". Tempting I know, but not at all necessary (not to mention expensive).
Well Said Benedict LOL

MannequinRaces

27 May 2020

What kind of synthesis a synth uses does not matter. You should be zeroing in on sounds that you like and find out how they were created. At the end of the day the average music listener will not care about the equipment you used to make your music. They only like the sonic aspects of it, not the technical. You move on from a synth when it’s not making any sounds that fit your creative vision.
Last edited by MannequinRaces on 27 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

bxbrkrz

27 May 2020

The OP is asking various good questions. It's an opportunity imho to create a general FAQ. A way to help the next soul.

Regarding the question, I was wondering the same, but with electric guitars instead.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 May 2020

I bet there could be thousands different answers to this question and all could be useful in one way or another.

One answer could be, change synth when you feel like it. Super dumb I know but that's how I operate. :D
For me it could be as ridiculous as wanting to look at another color for a while, something new visually. Maybe I want to look at green right now. Guess I'll be making a track with Snakebite and Megasaur then (This exact example has happened btw). It sounds stupid I know, but who cares. Whatever keeps music making fun and inspiring. Imo over time you learn what synths are best for certain types of sounds/character and you know what to reach for intuitively. I'd say don't overthink this stuff. Have fun. Experiment. Eventually you'll figure out what synths you like and what to reach for when you're looking for a certain character.
If I had to act all logical, trying to understand every bit of a synth before moving on I would have quit making music a long time ago. Who cares about logic. Music is about enjoying oneself. That's my take on it anyway.

gullum

28 May 2020

samsome wrote:
26 May 2020

Thanks!
When you no longer can make the sound you want to create

Oquasec

28 May 2020

Reason's CV system is really not changing. This is probably why it's so easy to use the longer you mess with it.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

supersaw

28 May 2020

I'd watch a bunch of tutorials on synths you are interested in and then decide if you want to jump on a different one. I'm changing synths when I've tired of my most used one or if a new synth is released (like phaseplant for eg)

Tweak

28 May 2020

Personally, my switch between one synth and another is rarely due to synthesis type (although this is sometimes a factor), but instead is about two key things: character, and accessibility.

Character is the set of properties that make a particular synth unique - particular filters, free running oscillators etc. Accessibility, is about how the creators of a synth have made it available to you via a UI. Some synths are highly programmable, but hold their power behind complex and occasionally hidden buttons and menus. Other synths are more simple, but provide an absolute immediacy of interaction by having dedicated buttons and knobs for every function - letting you really get in touch with the sound you are making through automation.

sublunar

28 May 2020

gullum wrote:
28 May 2020
samsome wrote:
26 May 2020

Thanks!
When you no longer can make the sound you want to create
This is the most correct and simple answer.

-

*Making sounds* is the goal of the musician, not trying out all the endless synthesis varieties. I own a couple synths. Two. I only picked up the second one when I realized I wanted to make a certain kind of sound that I couldn't get with the other one. I don't care about synthesizers in the slightest. What I'm interested in is the sounds I can make with them. Learn one instrument inside and out, then move on when you feel you reached the extent of what it can do for you.

edx500

03 Jun 2020

I have used and owned synths since the late 70s. The most hardware synths I ever had at one time was three. I would usually sell an old one to get money for a new one so I never really became a collector (with some regrets for sure!).
My point is for close to 4 decades I made do with two...maybe three keyboards onstage. I got a lot of different sounds out of them too. Now for the last eight to ten years my collection of soft synths has expanded to 40 or 50 devices (maybe more?). It can be daunting, but damn fun too!
For sure some keyboards are extremely complex. Things like CV gates and modulation of everything by everything else still gives me brain fog, but I find it fun to explore my options.
TTTT I rarely start from scratch building sounds. I usually find a preset and start tweaking. It often ends up wildly different from where I started, but that's the entertaining part for me.
While you may feel like it's confusing, learning the basics will translate to every synth out there. An oscillator, an LFO, ADSR, VCAs etc....are the same no matter what you're playing. Of course adding effects and NOW players and such just means the fun never stops. Build your own knowledge and skills and don't worry too much about where you're at. In this age Google and You Tube can fill a lot of gaps, or wait for the implants..... :idea:

DaveyG

03 Jun 2020

edx500 wrote:
03 Jun 2020
for the last eight to ten years my collection of soft synths has expanded to 40 or 50 devices (maybe more?).
I've been accumulating free and paid VST instruments and effects since they first appeared on the scene, back when most PCs could barely cope with them. I have more than 800 of them. And guess what. I use 5 or 6 of them regularly and that's about it. I bet I couldn't even tell you what 25% of them do.

Choose one or two synths and stick with them. I'd suggest choosing a subtractive synth and a wavetable synth and making a dozen tracks with them. The former gives you bass (BASS!) and leads. The wavetable can do everything else. What I just said is a simplification but get going with that and then break the rules. Learn them, love them, make music.

It's too easy these days to spend all your time and energy seeking "the best" thing rather than using what you've already got. :thumbs_up:

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
03 Jun 2020
It's too easy these days to spend all your time and energy seeking "the best" thing rather than using what you've already got. :thumbs_up:
A-freaking-men

I been saying that for 10+ years.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information