Reason livestream tonight: learn about chord progressions

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
supersplaron

26 May 2020

In today's stream, we'll talk about chord progressions and how coming up with them doesn’t have to be guesswork. Ryan will share some of the "aha" moments he's had over the years and we’ll make some music together.

Tune in at 7pm CEST / 10am PDT!

See you there!

Loque

26 May 2020

I am in tonight.
Reason12, Win10

Jagwah

26 May 2020

I am in bed tonight.

Sounds a like a great topic look forward to checking it out on the morrow, cheers!

motuscott

26 May 2020

Look I don't want to promote illogical chord guessing
But it has made me the ReasonTalk pariah that you what me as.
Just sayin'. Sensibility is not always the path forward
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

motuscott

26 May 2020

Sure the rate of failure is going to be exponential
But then you suss failure is just a piece o' the puzzle
Forward
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

EdwardKiy

26 May 2020

supersplaron wrote:
26 May 2020
See you there!
Hey there, Supersplaron.

We have threads like this one viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7516216 going on for years, where we post our wishes and suggestions on how you can improve the software we paid and keep paying for.

How about you at least acknowledge that you're taking note before trying to make it look like you "care about the community"? Every day of you ignoring it is taking points away from anything you have to do or say to us in the future. To be completely frank, you don't have a lot of points left. Not with me, at least.

"See you there!"

Jagwah

26 May 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
26 May 2020
supersplaron wrote:
26 May 2020
See you there!
Hey there, Supersplaron.

We have threads like this one viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7516216 going on for years, where we post our wishes and suggestions on how you can improve the software we paid and keep paying for.

How about you at least acknowledge that you're taking note before trying to make it look like you "care about the community"? Every day of you ignoring it is taking points away from anything you have to do or say to us in the future. To be completely frank, you don't have a lot of points left. Not with me, at least.

"See you there!"
You should read and understand the disclaimer for that sub forum.

Jagwah

27 May 2020

This was a great broadcast, thanks Ryan for always making such quality content for us!

Yonatan

27 May 2020

Yes, it is of great value these online gatherings.

EdwardKiy

27 May 2020

Jagwah wrote:
26 May 2020
EdwardKiy wrote:
26 May 2020

Hey there, Supersplaron.

"See you there!"
The disclaimer is just being de jure. You should understand that this is the de facto forum for Reason users and it doesn't matter what propellerheads think or how they feel about this fact - it's no longer up to them. This is where the users are, so this is where the devs come to hear their opinions. If a new and "official" forum is made, they'll instantly face the exact same problem of not being able to communicate with their user base. So they went with this "swipe it under the carpet" approach instead, pretending this forum doesn't exist, which is laughable, because there isn't another one, while at the same time being here almost every day themselves, but taking no responsibility. We see them here, we know they are here, they know we know, and then they say to our faces that they aren't. So de juro they are golden but de facto they are tackling this like a bunch of immature clowns. No harm in saying this since they are not here anyway, right? This was their decision.

So I have no problem expressing that I find their "reaching out" over youtube gesture hypocritical. Still no usable track freeze, hundreds of posts ranging from tactful and intelligent to hysterical, but instead of putting in time and responding even with a simple "we're working on it" or "not happening because",

let's just talk about chord progressions - the arcane knowledge that we so needed and couldn't get anywhere else.

QVprod

27 May 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
27 May 2020
Jagwah wrote:
26 May 2020

The disclaimer is just being de jure. You should understand that this is the de facto forum for Reason users and it doesn't matter what propellerheads think or how they feel about this fact - it's no longer up to them. This is where the users are, so this is where the devs come to hear their opinions. If a new and "official" forum is made, they'll instantly face the exact same problem of not being able to communicate with their user base. So they went with this "swipe it under the carpet" approach instead, pretending this forum doesn't exist, which is laughable, because there isn't another one, while at the same time being here almost every day themselves, but taking no responsibility. We see them here, we know they are here, they know we know, and then they say to our faces that they aren't. So de juro they are golden but de facto they are tackling this like a bunch of immature clowns. No harm in saying this since they are not here anyway, right? This was their decision.

So I have no problem expressing that I find their "reaching out" over youtube gesture hypocritical. Still no usable track freeze, hundreds of posts ranging from tactful and intelligent to hysterical, but instead of putting in time and responding even with a simple "we're working on it" or "not happening because",

let's just talk about chord progressions - the arcane knowledge that we so needed and couldn't get anywhere else.
It's been stated many times, by Matias in particular, that they read the forums. Expecting them to actually write a response to every feature request thread (or even any) directly is a bit much. They didn't do it when they had an official forum and I don't blame them. Feature requests will always be endless and they don't have to come here at all. Here's some perspective. While we are probably the largest Reason user forum, we do not represent the majority of Reason users. We're grateful for RS' presence at all. There are other online Reason communities including their Facebook page with far more people than we have here.

That aside, being upset they did a live stream on chord progressions? Seriously?.. Just because you may not have needed it doesn't mean others didn't. As far as getting it from somewhere else, many of your feature requests could be found elsewhere in other DAWs too, but yet you're here. So what's wrong with getting a free lesson, from the company who's product you paid for, that helps with music making? That is why people buy the software right? To make music? I went to college for music and play keys professionally, so I didn't "need" this live stream either, but I'm happy for those who were able to benefit.

Loque

27 May 2020

Good video. The black box of chords got a bit more a dark gray box :-D
Reason12, Win10

chimp_spanner

27 May 2020

One thing I've learned way later than I'd care to admit is to not use so many damn notes in my chords. There are only so many that you can pick out, especially when mixed with other instruments. I also had a really bad/predictable habit of octaving the root notes with my chord sound, so it'd just clash with the bass. Everything should be in its own little pocket.

Also know when NOT to play chords. The silence between them can be as powerful as the notes you choose. That's another thing I'm always having to remind myself. Not everything has to play all the time.

supersplaron

28 May 2020

Hope everyone enjoyed the livestream! I think it was a really fun one and I had good fun in the chat!

We are present here and on many other forums and pages and while we'd love to keep up with every piece of feedback every posted, we just can't. That said, we always love to get your feedback sent to us here: feedback@reasonstudios.com.

Thanks! See you on the next livestream on Tuesday!

• Information