Midi Input About to Overflow! Keyboard Control Mapping

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Dave Beep

25 May 2020

Hi,

If I try to record automation using Keyboard Controls I have mapped to my pc keyboard, I get the error.

Code: Select all

Midi Input About to Overflow! Your computer isn't fast enough to handle MIDI at this high rate.
This makes no sense as I am not even trying to use any MIDI, and my computer is no being taxed. It's not an occasional thing, I can recreate the problem every time.

Example:
1) Open a new Reason project, create a new Redrum device with a single pattern
2) Enable Keyboard Control from options menu
3) Map a key to a paramater by right clicking (say right click Redrum's channel 1 mute button to "K" on the keyboard)
4) During playback, pressing K to switch the mute button on and off works fine.
5) Press record to record this automation, and as soon as I press K everyhing stops and I get the above error.

This is using a fully updated copy of Reason 11 on Windows 10.

Has anybody experienced this? Any idea of what is going on and how to fix?

Dave Beep

27 May 2020

Has nobody experienced this or have an idea what would cause it?

Is anyone able to confirm whether this works ok for them?

If necessary I will report ton reason studios as a bug.

1reasonable

27 May 2020

What MIDI controller keyboard are you using? This does not answer your exact fault, but it could be happening from your MIDI controller as a totally separate issue. I ran a MIDI output analyser on my Mac, and it showed that the pitch bend wheel was sending constant MIDI values in a continuous stream on my Axoim Pro 49. I initially thought it was a bug in Reason. In the end I just switched the pitch bend wheel off, and that solved the issue ( but no PB from it any longer :-( ). I’m sure there are MIDI output apps you could run on Windows that will tell you what MIDI CC types are being outputted live as they happen, to cause this. Good luck, hope this helps!
…………………………………………………………………

:reason: 11.3.6 ,  iMac Intel Core i5 (late 2012) OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

Dave Beep

27 May 2020

It's a good shout, one of the first things I thought was whether it is something to do with my midi devices. Have ruled that out though as:

1) It happens only when I am recording and I press a mapped key on my (qwerty) keyboard.
2) I have unplugged and/or turned off all my midi devices.

DaveyG

27 May 2020

I wondered if there was some sort of midi loopback/feedback thing going on so the same notes go round and round and round. Do you have any virtual MIDI ports installed (loopMIDI or similar)?

It's not a message I have ever seen or heard about before. Maybe ask support and hope they reply before you go mad (they are not exactly the fastest these days).

Arjanders

23 Jun 2020

Dave Beep wrote:
25 May 2020
Hi,

If I try to record automation using Keyboard Controls I have mapped to my pc keyboard, I get the error.

Midi Input About to Overflow! Your computer isn't fast enough to handle MIDI at this high rate.
This makes no sense as I am not even trying to use any MIDI, and my computer is no being taxed. It's not an occasional thing, I can recreate the problem every time.

Example:
3) Map a key to a paramater by right clicking (say right click Redrum's channel 1 mute button to "K" on the keyboard)
5) Press record to record this automation, and as soon as I press K everyhing stops and I get the above error.

Yes the same here. I am trying to set up a utility with the use of (qwerty)keyboard control. It's only occuring when I want to record it's output.
I've made a utility which transforms the toggle 0-127 from the keyboard control into a gate (0-127-0). It's also shown in analysers as a gate. But still there is some looping somewhere taken place.

Sterioevo

23 Jun 2020

Not reproducible on my Mac. Maybe Windows specific?

Arjanders

23 Jun 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
23 Jun 2020
No midi overflow when you record something and then hit the key control?

Arjanders

23 Jun 2020

Dave Beep wrote:
25 May 2020
Hi,

Example:

I made a ticket, did you too?

Sterioevo

23 Jun 2020

Arjanders wrote:
23 Jun 2020
Sterioevo wrote:
23 Jun 2020
No midi overflow when you record something and then hit the key control?
Yes works as expected on my Mac.

ljekio

23 Jun 2020

I cant replicate this bug on win7, but I frequently saw it message when use midi controller with light jitters of pitch bend controller.

Dave Beep

23 Jun 2020

Arjanders wrote:
23 Jun 2020
Dave Beep wrote:
25 May 2020
Hi,

Example:

I made a ticket, did you too?

I didn't. When nobody else had the issue I assumed must be some problem with my setup.

Dave Beep

23 Jun 2020

Question/ Request

Can anybody with Reason 11 and Windows 10 test this and confirm yes/no if they have the same issue please.

Aquila

24 Jun 2020

I wonder if your keyboard itself is at fault here. By that I mean whenever you press a key it is sending multiple keystrokes at a high frequency.

For example, most keyboards if you press and hold "K", it just sends a long "K-------------------..." to a pc.
Perhaps yours is somehow sending "KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK..." and overloading Reason's input.

Just a theory. If you have access to another keyboard you can try it's at least worth a shot.

Dave Beep

14 Jul 2020

Dave Beep wrote:
23 Jun 2020
Question/ Request

Can anybody with Reason 11 and Windows 10 test this and confirm yes/no if they have the same issue please.
Nobody can do this?

jam-s

19 Jul 2020

Dave Beep wrote:
14 Jul 2020
Dave Beep wrote:
23 Jun 2020
Question/ Request

Nobody can do this?
I just tried it using Reason Suite 11.3.2d2 on Windows 10 Build 19041.vb_release.191206-1406 and cannot reproduce your problem.

huang tse

20 Oct 2022

Hi all..

I'm having the same issue.. qwerty mapping crashes with the error as descripted WHEN RECORDING...

Any news on this topic?

• Information