Re-import Audio Asset in Sequencer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ThatKevinHanleyGuy

24 May 2020

I have a sequencer audio track, a drum mixdown, a single stereo track within my song. This track was mixed in a separate Reason project because my system can't handle everything in my song plus the 10-plus tracks I have from the stems provided to me by the drummer. In the process of changing the arrangement of my song I made several edits to the drum track, which were obviously destructive edits, which would have been fine except that now I have a new drum mixdown that I need to replace my original drum track with.

Is there some way for Reason to re-import that track with the new audio file? The new file is identical in terms of length and everything else, I just need Reason to reload/re-import the track so my edits are in place.

Coming from a video editing background, this is standard practice on pretty much any timeline-based video or graphics editing software. I'm hoping there's a similar feature I'm overlooking. Heck, in the old days we used to just name a file the same, then re-open the project to achieve what I'm talking about, but now it's generally a right-click "replace footage" type of thing. I'm not seeing anything like that in Reason, and I have a feeling I'm out of luck since Reason embeds all audio within the project file itself as opposed to loading assets each time you open the project.
soundcloud.com/thatkevinhanleyguy

1reasonable

25 May 2020

If you have the drum track as an audio file (.aiff or .wav) then set your new project to the same tempo, and simply import the file into Reason. If you need to, you can nudge up the audio file so that you have it exactly in sync in your new project.
…………………………………………………………………

:reason: 11.3.6 ,  iMac Intel Core i5 (late 2012) OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

ThatKevinHanleyGuy

25 May 2020

I don't think I was very clear in how I explained my question. So the old drum track (mixed down to a stereo .wav in a different, drums-only Reason project) looks like this:

The razor points in the track are where I cut up the original drum track and re-arranged it as my song progressed. Later, I received new stems from the drummer (not a re-cut, literally just some missing stems from his original performance) and now that I have mixed them down I was hoping to literally replace the sequencer track you see in the image above with a replacement stereo .wav so my edits remain intact and I don't have to go back and retrace my edits.

In a perfect world for a newbie who made a workflow error like I have, I'd be able to right-click the track you see above and select something like "replace audio file", point Reason to the new stereo .wav file, and be done. Or, you'd be able to import Reason projects into the sequencer...nested sequences, if you will.

1reasonable

26 May 2020

So you want to replace the region marked with the white lines in the top .wav file with the edit underneath? Just make further razor cuts on both tracks at the same lines, then highlight the new clip in the top track and hit the delete button. Highlight the clip immediately below and drag it into the top clip. It maybe best to zoom into the area so that you can get it exactly where you want. You may need to alter the snap t grid to the max time signature so that you can fine tune where it’s sitting.
…………………………………………………………………

:reason: 11.3.6 ,  iMac Intel Core i5 (late 2012) OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

ThatKevinHanleyGuy

27 May 2020

Thanks for helping but I ended up doing the work manually. What I wanted was to replace the entire top clip with a new version of the .wav file while retaining the edits that were made previously. Ignore the second track, that one's irrelevant. Example:
1) The track that contains eleven-twenty_DrumEdit_4.28.20.wav is the original drum track. The razor cuts you see are because I chopped up the drum track in order to rearrange his how he programmed certain sections.
2) Then I discovered some minor issues with the drums and asked the drum programmer to send additional stems, in this case some cymbal tracks he forgot to send. So I got those, re-mixed the drums while fixing the issues.
3) So now I had a new mix of the drums as a new stereo .wav file, eleven-twenty_DrumEdit_5.23.20.wav but didn't remember exactly what I cut and where I put it the first time around.
4) Solution, if it worked like I had hoped: Tell Reason to replace the old .wav file with the new .wav file. Then the edits would remain as they are.

Again, I'm pulling this idea from video and graphics software I've used; it's standard procedure...you can easily replace any asset (video, audio, logo, whatever) with a different/new version of the same asset and it retains all edits or effects you've applied, as opposed to have to do everything again.j

Anyway, I figured it out and learned how NOT to do things in the future. ;) Newbie mistake, next time I'll mix the drums along with everything else and just bounce them to a single track if my project starts to overload my system specs.

• Information