Midi note nudging issue?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
zero-13

16 May 2020

Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker that finally registered just to ask what potentially might be the noobiest question ever asked here.

I recently upgraded to 11 Suite from 10 (loving it), and have been farting around with Reason since 9 (Reason being my first and only DAW), anyway for the life of me I can't understand if this is expected behavior or not, and if not have been unable to find an answer on several attempts over the last couple of years, waffle over.

So if you have some midi notes selected and nudge them, anywhere the nudged notes encounter existing notes, the selected notes vanish from your selection or seemingly get absorbed or overwritten by the notes already sharing that note lane.

I hope I'm explaining this clearly?

So me being a noob, this is not intuitive or expected behavior to just have part of you selection vanish as you try to nudge it past other notes, the expectation I have right or wrong is that the selected notes continue on similar to they do when dragging.

I guess I don't understand why dragging a selection of notes past other notes works as expected but nudging leads to this unexpected absorption and vanishing of the selected notes rather than just nudging past any notes already in the same note lane.

This happens whether I Ctrl+Arrow or Shift+Ctr+Arrow.

Is this expected behavior, if so, I'd love to know why as I'm in the dark and can't find anyone else mentioning this, all this time? I have figured maybe it's working as intended, if so I just have no clue why the behavior exists? :oops: :puf_bigsmile:

Thank you for your guidance and knowledge!

zero-13

17 May 2020

Am I really the first reason user to ever try to nudge a selection of notes past other notes occupying the same note lane and thought to themselves "huh, WTH" :lol:... or is it so painfully obvious no one has the heart to tell a noob what time it is? :redface:

Anyway, I would very much appreciate some insight or confirmation. I've been curious about this for a while, and would love to know if this is a common, midi note piano roll behavior of all DAWs, and if it is working as intended, what is the intention that eludes me?

Thanks RT!

zero-13

18 May 2020

:puf_bigsmile: In case my ramblings are totally incoherent, hopefully this GIF will better illustrate what I'm talking about.
Attachments
Midi_Note_Nudge_Issue.gif
Midi_Note_Nudge_Issue.gif (411.29 KiB) Viewed 389 times

zero-13

19 May 2020

Alright everyone, finally received official word on my question and it's a tiny bummer. :(

I don't know anything about coding but I feel like this would be the simple addition and / tweaking of a variable to fix this little counter intuitive behavior and minor nuisance.

At least I know what is happening, just a little frustrated when something is half done right instead of bringing it all the way home and making it optimal.

I'm hopeful still, once more sequencer improvements are implemented that all these little burs will be ground down and smoothed out.

To end on a positive sentiment, Reason 11 Suite is fantastic, and I couldn't be happier with the upgrade, nudge weirdness or no. :)

aeox
Competition Winner

19 May 2020

Not working for me

WarStar

19 May 2020

I just had this issue a couple days ago. I just edited them in the midi note sequencer which there should be some easier way to do this. Seems like a glitch.. I'd msg Reason support if no one else has any guesses

zero-13

19 May 2020

aeox wrote:
19 May 2020
Not working for me

Yeah, I think it's because the notes you have selected are a different length, make all the notes the same length and watch as they vanish. :shock:

This is according to Reason Studios by design, but it could be optimized, because it already works correctly while dragging, so just apply those rules to nudging also, no?

The prevention of overlapping notes as Reason Studios replied to my tweet above makes perfect sense so that there won't be double midis going off... I just don't think it should happen while the notes are currently selected.

Once you de-select and they are overlapping, THEN the auto deletion / overlap prevention should occur, but not prior when you're trying to manipulate the notes.

Just a little quality of life thing, but not even quality of life, the expected behavior in conjunction with the overlap prevention should be how it works, that would be the best outcome if possible. :)

aeox
Competition Winner

19 May 2020

zero-13 wrote:
19 May 2020
aeox wrote:
19 May 2020
Not working for me

Yeah, I think it's because the notes you have selected are a different length, make all the notes the same length and watch as they vanish. :shock:

This is according to Reason Studios by design, but it could be optimized, because it already works correctly while dragging, so just apply those rules to nudging also, no?

The prevention of overlapping notes as Reason Studios replied to my tweet above makes perfect sense so that there won't be double midis going off... I just don't think it should happen while the notes are currently selected.

Once you de-select and they are overlapping, THEN the auto deletion / overlap prevention should occur, but not prior when you're trying to manipulate the notes.

Just a little quality of life thing, but not even quality of life, the expected behavior in conjunction with the overlap prevention should be how it works, that would be the best outcome if possible. :)
Oh I understand now!

• Information