RS’s stock EQ, Compressor etc - enough for you?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

09 May 2020

Here's the thing I've learned about mixing/mastering in Reason: it can be done, QUITE EASILY IN FACT! With the stock Reason "SSL" emulation (and even some stock devices and RE's)... But iZotope's Neutron and Ozone is just leagues ahead in regards to control as well as GUI/UX, so I seem to be gravitating more towards that. But I use them in Reason, so there's "that". :puf_bigsmile: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

antic604

09 May 2020

drloop wrote:
09 May 2020
Yes I use that function, great. But I would like to have 5 bands and not the limitations the SSL EQ have. :)
Well, then get either one of those:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... oloringeq/
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... equalizer/ (wait for May Madness for this one)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Jackjackdaw

09 May 2020

I find the ssl spectrum eq frustrating as the scale markers are so vague and I dont know why it cant display the exact frequency on mouse over. Its just not that great. Doesnt mean you cant mix with it sure, but there is an obvious room for improvement.

Diastro

09 May 2020

It's a relevant question. I think many of us are either very tired of the "sound" of the old stock devices like MClass. It's getting more difficult each year to sound "distinctive" using these devices. This is why the SSL mixer is so awesome. It just sounds a lot more musical and interesting. I think it's enough to make tracks sound good, especially for visual media. For music.. hmm I guess I instinctively hook up a Reason composed song to Logic Pro and go from there.
//Diastro

Come and have a chat on the Reason Community Discord or /r/reasoners! :reason:

gullum

09 May 2020

antic604 wrote:
09 May 2020
drloop wrote:
09 May 2020
Yes I use that function, great. But I would like to have 5 bands and not the limitations the SSL EQ have. :)
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... equalizer/ (wait for May Madness for this one)
add this one to the list is my favorite of these kind of EQ
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... eq-effect/

drloop

09 May 2020

gullum wrote:
09 May 2020
antic604 wrote:
09 May 2020

add this one to the list is my favorite of these kind of EQ
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... eq-effect/
That looks great, will try it.

BlkRd

09 May 2020

I was going to comment yesterday on this as the beginner comment triggered me haha, nothing personal to you, but its something I hear a lot and I think the other poster did a good job of adressing the idea a few comments back. I'd add to their point that I also think these notions of beginner plug ins etc comes from the gamification of, well, pretty much everything now haha. Ach anyway, who actually cares.

I dont know if this anecdote will help you but:

Lately I am mixing and seriously trying to put out some tracks I really like. Recently I fixed my old computer and salvaged my Reason files. Prior to VST compatibility all I used was Reason and stock plugins. It was all I could afford. I save everything I make (cant get why people would delete stuff - sometimes its nice for inspiration to just open something from 10 years ago). Anyway, I found lots of songs all made around the time I watched a tutorial by a guy, he was giving a presentation and it was recorded, and it was all about paralell compression in the new reason SSL mixer at the time. Sorry I cant get link just now.

Compared to literally every track Ive made with all the vsts I have got since, and believed to be neccessery, these songs are, in my opinion, the best tracks i have ever produced as they are very well mixed.

They had very little comp etc etc etc, good sound design, good gain staging and smart use of paralell processing and those tracks are just clear and sound great, all stock stuff.

Everytime i try to mix them with all my new fancy plug ins (which dont get me wrong I do like, but I know are largely unnecessary) i get carried away and they never sound as good as they started. I have honestly experienced first hand how good the advice is that you focus on the tools you have and good gain staging and mix balance. I cut back all the nonsense processing with new vsts, use what i need subtly and I feel im nearing a standard where I would start sending them out. If i ever get a decent release i'll be sure to return and update that they were actually good and im not just biased and deluded haha!

I must add that I have since become well aqainted with Bitwig and Maschine too, but I am so thankful I watched that tutorial, as for me, at that time, it was exactly what i needed to progress. Everyone is at unique points though eh...

Good luck with everything! Peace!
Last edited by BlkRd on 18 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

09 May 2020

drloop wrote:
09 May 2020
antic604 wrote:
07 May 2020

Select track, hit F2 and you can drag the bands any way you want.
Remember the SSL is a "console EQ", which means it's for "most" of your work. I often only need a band or two or three, and the SSL is perfect for that. But sometimes you just need "more power"! ;)
Even when mixing on a real SSL, there is still a need for outboard EQ.
Selig Audio, LLC

drloop

10 May 2020

selig wrote:
09 May 2020
drloop wrote:
09 May 2020

Remember the SSL is a "console EQ", which means it's for "most" of your work. I often only need a band or two or three, and the SSL is perfect for that. But sometimes you just need "more power"! ;)
Even when mixing on a real SSL, there is still a need for outboard EQ.
I mixed on a Neve with 1073 eq and for sure you need a lot of inserts ... :)

KevTav

17 May 2020

guitfnky wrote:
08 May 2020
there’s so much false BS in this post it’s hard to know where to start, but this gem really stands out.
KevTav wrote:
06 May 2020
The SSL mixer in Reason has an overall "muddy" sound to it but it's warm. You can't pump into Reason modules hot. They like HEADROOM.
this must be the “Reason sound” everyone’s been talking about. 🙄
So, what you're saying is that Reason's Mixer does NOT have a warmer characteristic to it? It's been my experience that it does.

"False BS"? Why would you say that based on my opinion of sound characteristic of compared mixer responses? As if I'm trying to deceive someone?

Why would you do that?
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

KevTav

17 May 2020

selig wrote:
08 May 2020
KevTav wrote:
06 May 2020
[The SSL mixer in Reason has an overall "muddy" sound to it but it's warm. You can't pump into Reason modules hot. They like HEADROOM.

Kev Tav, I hope I'm not mis-representing anything you've said (apologies if so!), I'm just sharing my experience using (and testing) Reason.
Well, to my ears, and my experience, the SSL mixer has a 'warmer' response.

As far as the "muddy" thing, I actually was thinking about the M-Class EQ. THAT to me sounds biased toward the low mids, as compared to other EQs.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

guitfnky

17 May 2020

KevTav wrote:
17 May 2020
guitfnky wrote:
08 May 2020
there’s so much false BS in this post it’s hard to know where to start, but this gem really stands out.

this must be the “Reason sound” everyone’s been talking about. 🙄
So, what you're saying is that Reason's Mixer does NOT have a warmer characteristic to it? It's been my experience that it does.

"False BS"? Why would you say that based on my opinion of sound characteristic of compared mixer responses? As if I'm trying to deceive someone?

Why would you do that?
you’re entitled to your opinions, but not your own facts. it’s been proven time and time and time and time and time and time (and gosh, isn’t this just exhausting already?) and time and time again that there’s no Reason sound. the channel strip in Reason doesn’t color the sound. it’s just compression and EQ. no extra mojo going on. no added saturation or “warmth”. just an EQ with nice broad curves, and an SSL style compressor. that’s it.

if you want a DAW where the channel strip actually does alter the sound (other than doing basic EQ and compression), you’ll need to look elsewhere. I suggest taking a look at Harrison Mixbus—it actually does color the sound of your tracks, and sounds great doing so.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

KevTav

17 May 2020

You know what. I'm glad you posted. I now know to leave this board.

Thank You.

I'm done here.

DaveyG

17 May 2020

Is false BS better or worse than real BS?

nooomy

17 May 2020

Until you have 1000+ hours in the studio the reason stock racks are more than than fine.

Seckin

17 May 2020

nooomy wrote:
17 May 2020
Until you have 1000+ hours in the studio the reason stock racks are more than than fine.
And then they're even finer after that.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

nooomy

17 May 2020

Seckin wrote:
17 May 2020
nooomy wrote:
17 May 2020
And then they're even finer after that.
True i use the reason stock Eqs and compressors 90% of the time. I know them inside and out.

jlgrimes

05 Jul 2020

KevTav wrote:
06 May 2020
Ulpu wrote:
06 May 2020
What is your opinion of Reason’s stock plugins for mixing & even for mastering? Are they enough (not only for beginners)?

I was reading on other forum how people commented FL Studio’s stock plugins for finishing mixing & mastering a track. While people seemed to say they are enough, they also said they’re enough “for beginners”.

It’s usually said “pro can do pro results with any equipment “. But that’s not totally true, if the equipment is lacking some important feature etc. I’m not saying Reason’s plugins are lacking. Just an observation:D
The SSL mixer in Reason has an overall "muddy" sound to it but it's warm. You can't pump into Reason modules hot. They like HEADROOM.

As far as default modules:

7) EVERYTHING in the pic here SUCKS itallsucks.PNG

Effects:

1) "The Echo" is the shit...big fan
2) Scream 4 is mediocre
3) Retro Transformer is almost useless
4) Soft Tube Amps suck
5) Vocoder is okay.
6) "Pulverizer" is a great tool
7) Alligator Filter is cool, I guess, for EDM. Barely use it.
8) "Synchronus Effect Modulator" is a great thing
9) RV 7000 is the SHIT. Huge fan.

I just got the Reason 11 Suite, and the additional Reason effect devices are really good quality.

Instruments

1) MOST KONG stock kits SUCK
2) MOST Red Rum SUCKS

They're both for 13 year olds. It's just mostly garbage. Would maybe make good sounds for slapstick comedy reels?

Utilities:
ALL of Reason's utilities are top notch.

Players:
Great stuff. Especially the new Beat Map thingy.

As far as "Mastering songs" with stock Reason. Yeah, it can be done if you're good. So get good. :puf_smile:

Some of the half Rack stuff are nice.

Unison. (Great for synths like Subtractor)
Reverb (certain sounds it can sound better than RV7000)
Delay (it's a delay, so hard to mess this up. Very usable when all you need is a simple delay)

Scream

Tape mode Actually is pretty nice. Beefs up almost any thin synth sound or drum. It could be updated though with a wet/dry knob. Would help alot in taming this device.

Retro Transformer

Great effect. Almost like a Scream part 2. It can be subtle, extreme, to downright weird. Mp3 mode is actually very cool.

Soft tube Amp

Not great but better than Ableton's softtube Amp. Very usable.

Kong

Never been a huge fan of Kong. Preset drum sounds are OK, if building your own kits. I generally find Kong too cumbersome and limited.

Redrum

Most kits are very old. Back in the 2000s though, these kits were decent (compared to other DAWS drums at the time, Redrum was a step above the pack). As an instrument though, Redrum is very usable. Especially the ease of routing the outputs to effects. Built-in sequencer is decent. Probably one of Reasons best instruments though in the 2000s. IMO, this device could have been modernized and Reason would have killed the game. Dont understand why the developers slept on this device.

IMO, most Mclass stuff sucks. Especially the EQ/Compressor. They were decent in 2005 when all most people where doing where putting them on synths but for vocals, they leave alot to be desired. Maximizer is ok though as long as you use it mildly. Stereo imager is pretty good though. These devices need to be modernized.

Synths

Subtractor

For an old synth, it is pretty useful. Thick sounding. Actually with chorus and/or Reverb, this thing comes alive.

Malstrom

Nice. Great for weird shit and almost anything including Trance leads.

Thor

This synth while nice in 2007, IMO hasnt stood up well. Sounds very thin. That said when using effects though, this can be phattened up.

All the newer synths

Great stuff.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2020

M Class EQ good for gentle and wide lifts, like 3dB. Works well to automate too.
Mixer Ch EQ, same thing and useful LP/HP filtering. Mostly I just use the HP/LP, and a separate RE/VST for EQ. Helps me to know what i have going on, if there is EQ or not, on each channel.
M Class Comp, I use it for pianos or sounds where I want a 100mS attack to come through.
For vocals I never use M Class Comp, I have other tools that work better and also have better visual feedback. Mostly from T-Racks.
For Stereo I use iZotope Imager (free) as it can make a mono->stereo and M Class cannot.
For mono sub split I use a free RE for that, just a habit.

For deeper EQ cuts, or many bands in use, I use GQ7. Good for side chaining the low shelf.
For gentle EQ correction I also like N.I.'s SSL Type E + a Pultec style for the 10k top. Sometimes the Softube Trident.
For sound design I use a T-Racks EQ that can do brick wall type slopes.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Benedict
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2020

Sady, I think that many people define their likes/dislikes, esp those based around coolness of genres, as Good/Bad. This leads them to believe that there is a rightness or wrongness to devices. Most times people think a thing is wrong is when they try to force it to behave outside of its intended use/s.

The only time a device is wrong as such is when it can't do the job as advertised on the tin. There are very few devices like that. There are devices I find easier/harder to use, some I plain don't understand how they think - or I just don't think like that.

Yes, the SSL EQ could well use 78 more bands with dynamics, saturation, and various profiles per band but then it would not be the gentle Mixing EQ it it is. I love the SSL EQ in the spectrum window at mix time as it is lovely to find that right part to push or pull to get balance. I try not to use it before then and use the M-Class, Nova, BV512, or ReQ131on the instrument for sound design so my SSL is free for its true purpose.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information