Reason 12 release date

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 889
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 07 May 2020

One of the job-secure drones at Reason HQ suggested there may not be a Reason 12.

Instead, they are going to launch a $49/month subscription service to access the software, and it will simply be called "Studio".

A bit of a hark back to the BRILLIANT and totally not a search-engine-suicide-mission by calling an audio recording software package "Record"

Or an audio interface called "Balance", of which the user cannot pan L/R between monitors.

Balance MY ASS.

Ulpu
Posts: 187
Joined: 17 Mar 2020

Post 07 May 2020

Proboscis wrote:
07 May 2020
One of the job-secure drones at Reason HQ suggested there may not be a Reason 12.

Instead, they are going to launch a $49/month subscription service to access the software, and it will simply be called "Studio".

A bit of a hark back to the BRILLIANT and totally not a search-engine-suicide-mission by calling an audio recording software package "Record"

Or an audio interface called "Balance", of which the user cannot pan L/R between monitors.

Balance MY ASS.
This must a late April fools :shock:
$49/month sounds waaaaaaay way too much :?

User avatar
SebAudio
Posts: 193
Joined: 08 Mar 2015

Post 07 May 2020

fieldframe wrote:
06 May 2020
As an aside, if we’re getting hiDPI support / the UI rewrite this time around, it’s probably coming in 11.4. Maybe RS would consider it a big enough deal for an 11.5, but historically, it’s a high bar.
HiDPI support will probably come with v12 ? It seems to be quite a big change to justify a major version ?
Seb Audio ( :reason: 6.5 :PUF_balance: / Ableton Live 10 + RRP Lite 11-PX7)
https://maretranquillitatis.bandcamp.com/
https://ljseb.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2835
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 07 May 2020

I expect reason 12 to come out after reason 11 has been out for 2 years minimum.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6829
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 07 May 2020

Proboscis wrote:
07 May 2020
Or an audio interface called "Balance", of which the user cannot pan L/R between monitors.

Balance MY ASS.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

BigPictureSound
Posts: 61
Joined: 25 Jun 2019

Post 07 May 2020

Proboscis wrote:
07 May 2020
One of the job-secure drones at Reason HQ suggested there may not be a Reason 12.

Instead, they are going to launch a $49/month subscription service to access the software, and it will simply be called "Studio".

A bit of a hark back to the BRILLIANT and totally not a search-engine-suicide-mission by calling an audio recording software package "Record"

Or an audio interface called "Balance", of which the user cannot pan L/R between monitors.

Balance MY ASS.
Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 9.27.54 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 321
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 17 Jan 2021

Hi.

Is it already known or said when the next version of the Reason 12 will be released?
Are there any rumours?
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix GL753VD | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Win10Home64 | Propellerhead Reason 10

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 669
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 18 Jan 2021

Rising Night Wave wrote:
17 Jan 2021
Hi.

Is it already known or said when the next version of the Reason 12 will be released?
Are there any rumours?
I guess we'll find out on 25th :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 321
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 18 Jan 2021

Sorry, I do not get it. Am, why exactly on 25th?
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix GL753VD | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Win10Home64 | Propellerhead Reason 10

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 669
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 18 Jan 2021

Rising Night Wave wrote:
18 Jan 2021
Sorry, I do not get it. Am, why exactly on 25th?
Because Props' guitar REs that are on sale will be discontinued after that date and PX7 was removed from the shop, too.

Obviously it might just be coincidence and/or completely unrelated, but it's fun to think it isn't :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

DaveyG
Posts: 668
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 18 Jan 2021

An announcement on 25th is definitely a possible maybe certainty.
Maybe.

Yonatan
Posts: 1304
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2021

At least nothing will come out before 25th of january as it is known to be the "poorest week of the year" for most ppl.
Something new after 25th would not be too bad of a guess, to gain some from the first salary of the year for many.
Some time since we last heard anything, even in the forum, so RS are quite busy working.
Sweden and the covid situation would make RS more creative and productive than anything else. Not much else to do.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3858
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 18 Jan 2021

Yonatan wrote:
18 Jan 2021
At least nothing will come out before 25th of january as it is known to be the "poorest week of the year" for most ppl.
Something new after 25th would not be too bad of a guess, to gain some from the first salary of the year for many.
Some time since we last heard anything, even in the forum, so RS are quite busy working.
Sweden and the covid situation would make RS more creative and productive than anything else. Not much else to do.
I hope they don't put the hi-res into Reason 12 and it's in 11.4 or 11.5 which I was expecting in the next couple of weeks 'cause that's a poor version 11 if so.

I can't wait though to see those updated device graphics in the RRP.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.25 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2847
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 18 Jan 2021

I just hope they don’t go the monthly subscription route. I would absolutely hate that. I hope they continue with the numbers, R12, R13 etc.

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 321
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 18 Jan 2021

same thought here. i agree with you. subscription would be s!ck.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix GL753VD | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Win10Home64 | Propellerhead Reason 10

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 2246
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 18 Jan 2021

If they go with the pink color scheme, I'm outta here
The Now Sound of MIDI Thru 🧂

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 321
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 18 Jan 2021

:lol:
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix GL753VD | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Win10Home64 | Propellerhead Reason 10

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 1763
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 18 Jan 2021

Rising Night Wave wrote:
18 Jan 2021
same thought here. i agree with you. subscription would be s!ck.
It wouldn't be sick! Wouldn't be sick at all, it would suck!!!!
Perpetual license holder

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 321
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 18 Jan 2021

yes, i wanted to say suck but wanted to be polite so i said s!ck. perhaps i should write something like s*ck or s#ck. you know. hehe. my pardon.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix GL753VD | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Win10Home64 | Propellerhead Reason 10

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6829
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Jan 2021
I just hope they don’t go the monthly subscription route. I would absolutely hate that. I hope they continue with the numbers, R12, R13 etc.
Image
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 1763
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 18 Jan 2021

Rising Night Wave wrote:
18 Jan 2021
yes, i wanted to say suck but wanted to be polite so i said s!ck. perhaps i should write something like s*ck or s#ck. you know. hehe. my pardon.
Thou shall be pardoned.
Perpetual license holder

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2847
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 19 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
18 Jan 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Jan 2021
I just hope they don’t go the monthly subscription route. I would absolutely hate that. I hope they continue with the numbers, R12, R13 etc.
Image
Nah. Let's not encourage this subscription crap, even a little bit. Before you know it they will drop the numbers, simply call it Reason and make you pay monthly for getting any updates or support.
Just the thought of having to pay monthly to even open Reason scares the living hell out of me. If they ever made the switch, that would be the day that I start looking at other DAWs.
I know you want both options, but I just don't trust they would keep it that way for long once they started. As much as I appreciate Reason Studios and many of their products, it's also the same company that implemented the "Reward system" and charges €109 for Processed Piano. What I'm trying to say is they don't always make the best decisions.

Reason is fine just the way it is. Let's not mess with what already works. Don't give them any ideas. :lol:

VariableX
Posts: 516
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 19 Jan 2021

i am looking forward to R12 i'm hoping the jump from R10 is a good one 😀
if subscription happens - im out, finito, done n dusted.
I have been using Reason light in Renoise, i have to admit im impressed with the RRP, got my Reason mastering setup on the master track in Renoise and saved as my template 😀😀😀. At the time that R11 dropped i was disappointed but I can now see that is was a stroke of genius by Propellerheads.
R12 need to have tiny RRP improvements and big stand alone DAW improvements and if it does, in my opinion they are doing a great job.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 669
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 19 Jan 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Nah. Let's not encourage this subscription crap, even a little bit. Before you know it they will drop the numbers, simply call it Reason and make you pay monthly for getting any updates or support.Just the thought of having to pay monthly to even open Reason scares the living hell out of me. If they ever made the switch, that would be the day that I start looking at other DAWs.
Agree! I always thought having a subscribe option NEXT TO regular one-off purchase would be harmless, but seeing how Presonus puts more & more stuff exclusively behind the monthly sub scares me a bit.

I don't think it's a good idea economically, either. By now it should be obvious that most of the business in DAW and plugins market is generated by hobbyists, who are the only ones "caring" to keep up-to-date with latest synths, effects, DAW versions; actual pros are usually few versions behind, because it just works for them and does what they need.

I know for companies it looks tempting to be receiving $15-20 a month regularly, rather than a single $150 every 2-3 years, but myself - as a hobbyist - there are weeks and sometimes a month I won't touch my DAWs (or will open it, toy with it for a bit & close), so it would be totally pointless for me to sub anything, because that's just waste of money.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8652
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 19 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
19 Jan 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Nah. Let's not encourage this subscription crap, even a little bit. Before you know it they will drop the numbers, simply call it Reason and make you pay monthly for getting any updates or support.Just the thought of having to pay monthly to even open Reason scares the living hell out of me. If they ever made the switch, that would be the day that I start looking at other DAWs.
Agree! I always thought having a subscribe option NEXT TO regular one-off purchase would be harmless, but seeing how Presonus puts more & more stuff exclusively behind the monthly sub scares me a bit.

I don't think it's a good idea economically, either. By now it should be obvious that most of the business in DAW and plugins market is generated by hobbyists, who are the only ones "caring" to keep up-to-date with latest synths, effects, DAW versions; actual pros are usually few versions behind, because it just works for them and does what they need.

I know for companies it looks tempting to be receiving $15-20 a month regularly, rather than a single $150 every 2-3 years, but myself - as a hobbyist - there are weeks and sometimes a month I won't touch my DAWs (or will open it, toy with it for a bit & close), so it would be totally pointless for me to sub anything, because that's just waste of money.
I agree so far. As you could break your subscription anytime for a month or so (like in Netflix), in reality most ppl will keep it.

On the other hand, see it as "buying" a car, which still costs money, even if you do not use it. Its like you pay 120 for a Reason update (regularly each 2 years currently) and use it 60 times a year, it costs 1 buck per usage. If you just use it 30 times a year, it suddenly costs 2 bucks per usage, even if its the same cost for a year or a upgrade period. And considering 120 upgrade price currently, its 60 per year and 5 per month. So 5 per month for just Reason would be ok IMO. For those guys upgrading each 2nd version, this might be too pricy, even its the price of a Big Mac or a pizza.

I see the problem general with subscription, you pay...and if you stop paying, you are left with nothing. A few companies provide something like PA with their vouchers (caught, caught) or Kilohearts with their vouchers too, which are quite valuable, because its nearly the same as buying in installments.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Trendiction [Bot] and 0 guests